Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K3 ii with Samsung sef-54pzf

Hey guys, let me just start with saying my understanding of the voodoo behind p-ttl is basic at best.

So yesterday, I took delivery of my shiny new k3 ii, very excited to be upgrading from my old trusty k20d. First time out with it is a gig.

Bobbed me equally trusty Samsung sef-54pzf onto the camera for a bit of fill, and bugger won't fire! Or zoom with the camera, or sync, end up putting it into manual to get anything out of it at all.

Once home I checked the flash on the k20 and its fine.

So my question is this, have I missed a setting somewhere that's stopping them working together, or is itnew flash time? Anybody had similar issues?

Ta

Jonesi

06-28-2015, 03:25 AM   #2

Original Poster
Hey just realised I've put this in the wrong place, any one know how to move a thread?
06-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonesi86 Quote
. . .
any one know how to move a thread?

You'll need to ask a Moderator to move it for you. Click on the yellow triangle at the lower left of your post.

( I went ahead and reported the thread for you. )
06-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonesi86 Quote
Hey guys, let me just start with saying my understanding of the voodoo behind p-ttl is basic at best.

So yesterday, I took delivery of my shiny new k3 ii, very excited to be upgrading from my old trusty k20d. First time out with it is a gig.

Bobbed me equally trusty Samsung sef-54pzf onto the camera for a bit of fill, and bugger won't fire! Or zoom with the camera, or sync, end up putting it into manual to get anything out of it at all.

Once home I checked the flash on the k20 and its fine.

So my question is this, have I missed a setting somewhere that's stopping them working together, or is itnew flash time? Anybody had similar issues?

Ta

Jonesi

Unfortunately you can't expect that flash to work with a K-3 or K-3II. The P-TTL evolves with each model and only those flash guns with the possibilty to upgrade firmware can be expected to work with future camera models. I realized this when I bought a third party flash P-TTL compatible with K-5 and tried it on my K-5II. It didn't work. You will have to make due with manual settings.

06-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sad times, thanks for the response, I'd thought previously that "p-ttl" was a standard, but guess not. ey well

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
Unfortunately you can't expect that flash to work with a K-3 or K-3II. The P-TTL evolves with each model and only those flash guns with the possibilty to upgrade firmware can be expected to work with future camera models. I realized this when I bought a third party flash P-TTL compatible with K-5 and tried it on my K-5II. It didn't work. You will have to make due with manual settings.
06-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
Sad times, thanks for the response, I'd thought previously that "p-ttl" was a standard, but guess not. ey well

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote