Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2015, 03:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3 metering

Does the type of metering (for example spot) effect autofocus on the K3?

Thanks

Randy

07-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

No, I don't think so. While it is rumored that the high resolution RGB detector used in the K-3's meter is leveraged by the focus system for target tracking, the meter mode (spot, center averaging, matrix) does not play into the AF behavior*. The most likely scenario would be both systems drawing from the same data source, but for different purposes. The difference between the three meter modes is probably not based on a physical mask or by turning off portions of the sensor. Instead, it is more likely based on selective sampling from available meter sensor data. There may be some additional clues available by looking for information on the similar system used in the Nikon D7100 and D7200.

Steve

* I have not experienced any cross-talk issues on my K-3, but would welcome any comments indicating else wise.
07-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Does the type of metering (for example spot) effect autofocus on the K3?
The two systems (AF and metering) are very closely linked. They talk to each other a lot. Pic related:

And something like spot metering might directly effect your AF if, for example, you decide to link your metering to your AF point, as you can choose to do [Menu > C1 > 5. Link AE and AF point].
07-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And something like spot metering might directly effect your AF if, for example, you decide to link your metering to your AF point, as you can choose to do [Menu > C1 > 5. Link AE and AF point].
I don't use that feature, but thought that was exactly how it works...spot metering at the point of focus.

Nice graphic, BTW.

Steve

07-03-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't use that feature, but thought that was exactly how it works...spot metering at the point of focus.
I just gave the feature a test drive and with exposure set to the AF point and spot meter selected, the location of the "spot" is very narrow and located at the point of focus rather than the frame center (very cool). Changing to center average and matrix results in a less pronounced effect.

Steve
07-03-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just gave the feature a test drive and with exposure set to the AF point and spot meter selected, the location of the "spot" is very narrow and located at the point of focus rather than the frame center (very cool).
Turns out in works the other way around for the case where AE and AF are linked. The AF point drives the bias of the metering. I would strongly doubt that with the menu setting on default (no linkage), that spot metering would affect focus point selection* or focus tracking behavior.

Steve

* I was able to test this with focus is set to A-27 and meter to spot using AF-S. The focus point selection was the same in my test scene regardless of the meter was in spot, center-weight, or matrix. Likewise, metering was identical regardless of the focus point.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-03-2015 at 01:25 PM.