Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch in Focus

Hi,
I have an 8mm and 14mm Rokinon, and am having trouble setting up the catch in focus on the my K-3. On my K-30 I was able to set it up where I would hold the shutter button down, rotate the focus ring and the when the subject was in focus the camera would automatically take the shot. On my K-3, it takes the shot right immediately when pressing the shutter button, even when the subject is not even close to being in focus. Maybe I have the settings wrong? Any suggestions?
Thanks!

07-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your focus mode needs to be AF.S

In the custom menu setting #15 needs to be focus priority and #25 set to on.

Hopefully that helps. If you have done that, then I don't know.
07-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Also check in the Capture menu, 'Button Customization' (Page 4 of that menu) that you have set the AF Button to 'Cancel AF'. CIF and the AF-button don'twork together.
07-03-2015, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I changed AF to AF.S (it was on AF.A) and I changed AF Button to 'Cancel AF' in the button customization menu. It now works. Thank you!!!

07-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you disable shutter button AF you can use the AF back button to focus. Just hold the AF button down until you get focus confirmation and then press the shutter button. Works in both AF.S and AF.C. Just my $.0.02.
07-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Works in both AF.S and AF.C. Just my $.0.02.
True - still, for me CIF has some virtues of its own:

1) The camera is faster than me (I can only speak for myself) and the 'instant' release is beneficial for both handheld macro and photos of moving subjects with MF lenses.

2) With CIF you can make an efficient photo-trap - using either MF-lenses or lenses with an AF/MF switch - merely with a cheap, wired relase and with the camera in continuous shooting mode.
07-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
I changed AF to AF.S (it was on AF.A) and I changed AF Button to 'Cancel AF' in the button customization menu. It now works. Thank you!!!
Glad to hear you got it working.

07-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Those are both fine lenses (I have both), but I wouldn't expect great results in CIF with the UWAs. It seems my best focusing luck with the 8mm especially is using LV magnification. Using the distance scale on the 8mm (corrected for focus past infinity) also seems to work better than the viewfinder.
07-05-2015, 04:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Those are both fine lenses (I have both), but I wouldn't expect great results in CIF with the UWAs. It seems my best focusing luck with the 8mm especially is using LV magnification. Using the distance scale on the 8mm (corrected for focus past infinity) also seems to work better than the viewfinder.
Thanks! I have to try this technique!
08-05-2015, 01:41 AM   #10
Pentaxian

So, you can't use catch in focus as a trap focus with a AF lens- like a DA55-300, for instance?
08-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
So, you can't use catch in focus as a trap focus with a AF lens- like a DA55-300, for instance?
Only those with an on-lens switch to turn it AF off.

Steve
08-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Only those with an on-lens switch to turn it AF off.

Steve
That's too bad. With the camera on manual focus and M mode, it doesn't try to focus anyway, wonder why they can't make this work with a af lens? Bummer.
08-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
...wonder why they can't make this work with a af lens?
A little time with the feature and you will understand why. Catch-in-focus is the fail-over behavior of when AF is turned on with AF-S as the mode, but the lens cannot be focused except by hand.

Steve
03-16-2017, 08:46 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Hi,
I have an 8mm and 14mm Rokinon, and am having trouble setting up the catch in focus on the my K-3. On my K-30 I was able to set it up where I would hold the shutter button down, rotate the focus ring and the when the subject was in focus the camera would automatically take the shot. On my K-3, it takes the shot right immediately when pressing the shutter button, even when the subject is not even close to being in focus. Maybe I have the settings wrong? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Little bump on this thread,

I've searched for it, because I'm also one of them who fail to turn on "catch in focus" function to work. But then I find this thread, and my problem is solved. BUT, I have also one more question here - IS THIS MODE WORK IN LIVE VIEW ?

Seems it's reserved only for OVF focus confirmation, and operate. When I switch to L.V. and full pressed shooter button, camera shoot instantly, regardless that is, first of all subject out of focus at all, and secondly,
that I'm set in menu for AF-S - Focus, over Relase Priority...

Is this true with LV mode ? Or I'm getting something wrong here ...

Last edited by panonski; 03-16-2017 at 08:58 AM.
03-16-2017, 10:28 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panonski Quote
IS THIS MODE WORK IN LIVE VIEW ?
This question came up on another thread and apparently it depends on camera and firmware level. On my K-3 (firmware v1.11), CIF works in live view, but only with lenses having conductive bases and I posted that information. Another user decided to try a firmware update to v1.30 on their K-3 and reported that CIF worked with both conductive and non-conductive lenses with that firmware.

I hope this helps.

Steve