Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
Hummm there is an idea, do you know what adapter I can use on the K-3 so I can fit my Nikon lenses? might as well give it a try to see what happens.
You can actually fit the Nikon lenses on a Pentax . They go on almost upside down and fit snug but do not lock. I never had one fall off but I got tired of having to turn my camera upside down to see the Ap ring . I got an off brand off E-bay for around 20 bucks It has a glass so as to allow focus to infinity. It works really well. I don't remember the brand , with out looking for the box.

07-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
You can actually fit the Nikon lenses on a Pentax . They go on almost upside down and fit snug but do not lock. I never had one fall off but I got tired of having to turn my camera upside down to see the Ap ring . I got an off brand off E-bay for around 20 bucks It has a glass so as to allow focus to infinity. It works really well. I don't remember the brand , with out looking for the box.
I got one of those adapters (with glass) too... but then I just lost interest as it degrades the quality of the image. So, I agree it is doable but it is the YMMV situation.
07-05-2015, 07:03 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That is because the D70 doesn't have an AI coupler.
Yeah. I just thought it odd that Nikon didn't offer a way to meter older lenses .But then I have shot Pentax since the middle 70's. I have an early NIKKOR 24 /2.8 lens I thoroughly enjoy. I use it on my Pentax bodies more , simply because of the metering issue.
07-05-2015, 09:23 PM   #34
Forum Member

Seems like you have a lot nice lenses. I think it is foolish to change systems now. Stick with Nikon, they make nice cameras too.

07-06-2015, 02:47 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just to say that I think you will do fine with a K3. It is a nice camera and very stable. I own one and a K5 II as well and neither one has given me any trouble. As to lenses, if you can only start with one, I would get the DA 35 f2.4 to begin with -- a nice sharp lens. I would look at the DA 16-85 when you can afford it as a walk around zoom. I think you will like it and it has had some really good feed back on the forums -- better than the 18-135, really.
07-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #36

Thought I'd chime in as someone who has a K-3. I've played with the D7000 for a few days straight and have used the D7100 for a few hours so I feel I can give an "unbiased" comparison features based on MY experience.

My K-5, IMO, is about even and slightly better than the D7000. My K-3, IMO, is way way better than the D7100. How is that for unbiased?

In all honesty, the D7000 and D7100 are not well planned out from an ergonomic standpoint. Heavy, clunky, and plastic leaves much to be desired. On the D7000 the red record button for Movies was placed properly on the back of the camera. On the D7100, they moved it closer to the shutter button. It would have made sense if they decided not to sandwich it between the shutter and 2 other button. Made no sense to me anyway.

Menus are a tedious task trying to get to the all the settings that aren't ISO, AV, or TV. Just my opinion anyway. By default, it seems (although I can't confirm) that the rear display is not used for exposure settings. WHAT? I couldn't figure out how to enable it anyway since both shooters preferred the top LCD. I myself have grown to using the rear display for my cameras and was dumbfounded that I couldn't find a way to do it on the NIkons, if It were possible anyway.

There's also the argument made by some that Autofocus on the NIkons are the best thing ever. In my experience, I didn't find it leaps and bounds better than either my K-5 or K-7 and neither of my cameras have AF fine tuning on. Guess I'm lucky and don't experience front/back focusing issues. My K-5 hunts a little bit, esp in low light, but my K-3 has been astounding for all my lenses so far. The D7000 was hunting in moderate light with my cousin's 50mm 1.4 and my wife, who is not so caught up with camera gear since I forced her to use Pentax (her first and only DSLR experiences) felt the D7000 was "slow". I'm comparing the 50mm 1.4 to the Pentax 55mm 1.4 so take that with a grain of salt, considering that the 55mm is not fast to begin with. The D7100 with the 18-200mm seemed "okay" to me, nothing spectacular.

I didn't play much with the AF settings on either D7xxx camera but on my K-3 I feel that the AF-C is really good and has been consistent. Finally I can track moving objects with confidence. I prefer the AF button on the back and sometimes use rear AF button auto focusing when appropriate (I set that up in USER mode on the dial), which I think is great on the Pentax and they nailed it with the K-3 putting the AF button right by the rear dial. Although, I wish the battery grip buttons were laid out the same on the K-3. You'll know what I mean if you decide to get a grip.

Congrats on your K-3 purchase and welcome to the beginning of a wonderful bond with your new gear, something I don't think others get with Canikon, especially on this forum.

Cheers

Last edited by Ron_Man; 07-06-2015 at 07:54 AM.
07-06-2015, 08:17 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote
that this forum was like no other forum and he is totally correct
absolutely correct, I think this forum is the most friendly and helpful I've ever seen for photography welcome aboard ^^
07-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian

This Nikon shooter also shoots with Pentax

Long time Nikon shooter (since the 1980s). I currently shoot a Nikon D800 kit, comprised mostly of wide angle lenses such as the Nikkor 14-24mm. I too had been waiting for years for Nikon to come out with a D400 but 18 months ago I picked up a K-3 + DA* 60-250mm and couldn't be happier. It really is not an apples-to-apples comparison between the D7100/D7200 and the K-3. The K-3 is what the D400 should have been. And as a Nikon shooter you no doubt understand the difference between their consumer offerings and their pro gear. So today I'm a happy two-body shooter, primarily using the Pentax for long shots and the Nikon for wide shots, but sometimes I go out with just a single body depending on my mood.

YMMV

Michael

07-06-2015, 06:26 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the info Aksel, will be reading up on this feature for sure also will order Yvon's Pentax k3 book since this camera has so many features that I'm not familiar with; it seems that everyday I discover something new .

Regards,

JJ

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Long time Nikon shooter (since the 1980s). I currently shoot a Nikon D800 kit, comprised mostly of wide angle lenses such as the Nikkor 14-24mm. I too had been waiting for years for Nikon to come out with a D400 but 18 months ago I picked up a K-3 + DA* 60-250mm and couldn't be happier. It really is not an apples-to-apples comparison between the D7100/D7200 and the K-3. The K-3 is what the D400 should have been. And as a Nikon shooter you no doubt understand the difference between their consumer offerings and their pro gear. So today I'm a happy two-body shooter, primarily using the Pentax for long shots and the Nikon for wide shots, but sometimes I go out with just a single body depending on my mood.

YMMV

Michael
Michael thank you for posting, actually while doing my research on the K-3 I found your comment regarding your search for a second body that would give you images similar to what you get with the D800 and why you decided on the K-3 after testing the D7100. That post is one of the reasons I started digging for more information in regards to the Pentax, so thank you.

PS- The Nikon D800 is one heck of a camera, had a chance to shoot with it about a year ago while on a business trip and after using it for a few minutes I fell in love with it, believe me when I say that it took all the courage I could mus'ter to be able return it to the owner..lol

Cheers,

JJ

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
absolutely correct, I think this forum is the most friendly and helpful I've ever seen for photography welcome aboard ^^
Thank you my friend...JJ
07-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Thought I'd chime in as someone who has a K-3. I've played with the D7000 for a few days straight and have used the D7100 for a few hours so I feel I can give an "unbiased" comparison features based on MY experience.

My K-5, IMO, is about even and slightly better than the D7000. My K-3, IMO, is way way better than the D7100. How is that for unbiased?

In all honesty, the D7000 and D7100 are not well planned out from an ergonomic standpoint. Heavy, clunky, and plastic leaves much to be desired. On the D7000 the red record button for Movies was placed properly on the back of the camera. On the D7100, they moved it closer to the shutter button. It would have made sense if they decided not to sandwich it between the shutter and 2 other button. Made no sense to me anyway.
Ron thank you for your input and specially for your unbiased opinion lol..but seriously, I really appreciate your input since it gives me that extra vote of confidence in regards to my decision.

QuoteQuote:
Menus are a tedious task trying to get to the all the settings that aren't ISO, AV, or TV. Just my opinion anyway. By default, it seems (although I can't confirm) that the rear display is not used for exposure settings. WHAT? I couldn't figure out how to enable it anyway since both shooters preferred the top LCD. I myself have grown to using the rear display for my cameras and was dumbfounded that I couldn't find a way to do it on the NIkons, if It were possible anyway.
LOL..well being a Nikon user for a few years I kinda got used to the menus and controls, but from all the reviews I have seen on the K-3, the camera layout is much more practical in every sense of the word and the menus are much more intuitive. Can't wait to start using my K-3.

QuoteQuote:
There's also the argument made by some that Autofocus on the NIkons are the best thing ever. In my experience, I didn't find it leaps and bounds better than either my K-5 or K-7 and neither of my cameras have AF fine tuning on. Guess I'm lucky and don't experience front/back focusing issues. My K-5 hunts a little bit, esp in low light, but my K-3 has been astounding for all my lenses so far. The D7000 was hunting in moderate light with my cousin's 50mm 1.4 and my wife, who is not so caught up with camera gear since I forced her to use Pentax (her first and only DSLR experiences) felt the D7000 was "slow". I'm comparing the 50mm 1.4 to the Pentax 55mm 1.4 so take that with a grain of salt, considering that the 55mm is not fast to begin with. The D7100 with the 18-200mm seemed "okay" to me, nothing spectacular.

I didn't play much with the AF settings on either D7xxx camera but on my K-3 I feel that the AF-C is really good and has been consistent. Finally I can track moving objects with confidence. I prefer the AF button on the back and sometimes use rear AF button auto focusing when appropriate (I set that up in USER mode on the dial), which I think is great on the Pentax and they nailed it with the K-3 putting the AF button right by the rear dial. Although, I wish the battery grip buttons were laid out the same on the K-3. You'll know what I mean if you decide to get a grip.
For the kind of shooting that I do focus accuracy is much more important than focus speed 95 % of the time specially since I do a lot of low light fotography, I mean both are important but accuracy takes the first spot over speed since I don't shoot any fast action shots; well actually the only time that I need a fast focus is when I take my huskies to the park so it's comforting to hear that the AF-C option has been consistent and accurate for you.

Same thing for the flash system, everyone says that the Nikon flash system is better than the Pentax and I would understand this being a deciding factor IF you need a complex flash setup for your pictures, but heck..in my case the most complex thing I do is to bounce the flash and perhaps use the rear curtain option from time to time.

Almost certain that I will need the battery grip since I have rather large hands and the K-3 is compact when you compare it to the D90, but I will wait until I have the camera to check how the camera ergonomics fit my hands before I make my decision.

QuoteQuote:
Congrats on your K-3 purchase and welcome to the beginning of a wonderful bond with your new gear, something I don't think others get with Canikon, especially on this forum.
Thank you and I have a feeling that you are correct about the bond, heck my camera is not even in the country and I already feel a bonded with it..lol.

Again, thank you so very much for taking the time to chime in, I really appreciate your opinion.

Cheers.

JJ

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 08:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
Seems like you have a lot nice lenses. I think it is foolish to change systems now. Stick with Nikon, they make nice cameras too.
Shamwow thank you for your input my friend, under normal circumstances I would tend to agree with you since what you say is very logical and well founded, but unfortunately ,and as I mentioned on one of my earlier post, I have lost my trust in Nikon as a company and I feel it is time to try another option.

I have always been a Nikon fan and thought they made the best or one of the best cameras in the market, but their quality has suffered a great deal.

Heck I love my D90 so much that I the thought of selling it to buy another camera has never crossed my mind, to me it is one of the best and most reliable cameras Nikon has ever made, even my D3100 has been reliable to the end. But all that doesn't mean that things can't go wrong with Nikon and that I would not be able to acknowledge it when it does.

Two years ago Nasim Mansurov posted an article on his website that made me start to keep a close eye on Nikon, this is the article from his website :

https://photographylife.com/nikon-quality-assurance-and-marketing-gone-wrong

If you have the time, I ask that you please read it if you haven't done so already.

I agree that Nikon does make some nice cameras but the quality and reliability is not what it used to be and living in a country where there isn't any official seller or any company that would back up a warranty if need be, where having to return a camera to the US is a very time consuming and expensive option, when I buy a camera I make sure that the odds are stacked in my favor in regards to having to return it under warranty.

This of course is my personal opinion and I'm sure that there will be a lot of people that will not agree with me and believe me when I say that I respect their opinion, but in the end I'm the one that has to live with my decision and not to mention that it is my money that is being invested.

Again, thank you for your input.

Kind regards,

JJ

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 08:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just to say that I think you will do fine with a K3. It is a nice camera and very stable. I own one and a K5 II as well and neither one has given me any trouble. As to lenses, if you can only start with one, I would get the DA 35 f2.4 to begin with -- a nice sharp lens. I would look at the DA 16-85 when you can afford it as a walk around zoom. I think you will like it and it has had some really good feed back on the forums -- better than the 18-135, really.
Thank you for your post as well as your support, it is great to hear that your K-3 has been stable, can you please tell me what firmware you have installed on your K-3?

By the way, I just finished ordering the 35mm F2.4

That DA 16-85 is exactly the zoom range that I'm looking for, I find it perfect for my shooting needs since I already use a similar lens with my Nikon setup and it is on my camera most of the times.

Cheers,

JJ

---------- Post added 07-06-15 at 08:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Wow excellent links thank you so very very much boriscleto much appreciated, man there is so much to soak up and learn..lol.

Cheers,

JJ
07-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Could be cheaper to send your equipment here to the US Virgin Islands? Royal Caribbean - St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Cheers

Randy