Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
The thing I found odd was that the D70 would not meter some of the lenses but my Pentax will. enjoy the K-3 if you choose it.
That is because the D70 doesn't have an AI coupler. A Nikon camera has to have an AI coupler to meter without a microchip in the lens. And it doesn't work with non-AI manual lenses. The D200 was the first to have coupler, then the D300 and D7xxx. The full frames have it too.

Imagine if Pentax had put a non-crippled K-mount in the high end camera but left out stop down metering for the Takumars...and told owners of the low end camera that they were SOL.

07-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by MasMax Quote

Catch focus ? I have a feeling I'm going to need a good book in order to learn and completely understand all the features of the K-3, do you know if there are any for the K-3?

You can search from this site too - try terms like "catch focus" or "green button".

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/292103-green-button-metering-wish.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/238426-when-use-green-button.html
07-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I ran into a couple of deals a couple of years ago that I couldn't turn down. I ended up with a couple of Nikon cameras an a few lenses. I ended up purchasing an adapter to put a couple of the lenses on my Pentax bodies.
The thing I found odd was that the D70 would not meter some of the lenses but my Pentax will. enjoy the K-3 if you choose it.
Hummm there is an idea, do you know what adapter I can use on the K-3 so I can fit my Nikon lenses? might as well give it a try to see what happens.

Actually I have the k-3 on my shoping cart as we speak, most probably will order it in a few minutes and thank you for your wish.

Regards,

JJ
07-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hummm there is an idea, do you know what adapter I can use on the K-3 so I can fit my Nikon lenses? might as well give it a try to see what happens.

Actually I have the k-3 on my shoping cart as we speak, most probably will order it in a few minutes and thank you for your wish.

Regards,

JJ
For infinity focus you will need an adapter with a corrective element. This is basically a short teleconverter (1.25x) with related loss of IQ.

You can also replace the mount on the camera with an Adaptist Multi-mount. Though it makes a WR camera somewhat less than WR.

Adaptist - Home

07-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
If you are not fussy about auto-focus.... you can go a cheaper route with manual focus lenses (some nice legacy lenses) using the catch-in-focus feature on the k-3. For example, I have a Topcor 58f1.4 converted to m42 mount and it works just great (close to 100%). With the low light focusing capability and high pixel count, you will be able to nail focus and room for cropping (help with the composition).
Thank you for the information aleaonx3, that is certainly excellent news, I haven't done manual focusing for a while since my eyesight is not what it used to be but one of the things that helped me decide on the K-3 was the excellent view finder. Most everyone speaks very highly of how clear this view finder is, so as soon as I get my camera one of the first things I will be doing is testing it to see how well I can focus with it; if all comes out as expected then surely I will look into manual focus lenses since I really enjoy using them and I actually miss it. BTW, do you know where I might be able to find some sort of information on manual focus Pentax lenses that can be used on the Pentax k-3?

JJ
07-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BTW, do you know where I might be able to find some sort of information on manual focus Pentax lenses that can be used on the Pentax k-3?

JJ
A good start...

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

Lens Database

Basically any K-mount lens can be used on the K-3. And just about any M42 lens with an adapter.

Pentax cameras are also somewhat more flexible than Nikon when it comes to adapting other mounts.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html
07-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #22

Good morning Romay, as I mentioned to interested_observer in my post ..I would be perfectly fine with the K-5IIs (maybe even the K-5II, really not sure if there is a big difference between the II and the IIs regarding image quality) and up to a point I would prefer a 16MP sensor over the 24MP but the price difference between the K-3 and the K-5IIs is about US$ 80.00 so it makes it kind of hard to decide on the K-5IIs, perhaps I'm wrong in my assessment and if I am please let me know.
JJL
Well, 80 bucks difference makes it a tough decision... One thing that needs to be factored in is that the K5-ii is probably more stable than the K-3 as it is a upgrade which also contains all the lessons learnt from the K-5. The K-3 still has some minor glitches (mirror runaway). If you can live with that, just go for the K-3.
If you want the K-5 II, you need to be aware that ony the K-5 IIs comes without lowpass filter - so if sharpness is your thing, you should go for the K-5 IIs. For K-3 it doesn't matter, it has no lowpass filter (guess you already knew that).

To the guy that asked about the autofocus issues with the 50/1.8: This lens doesn't work very well with PDAF, it hunts a lot and sometimes refuses to catch focus. Probably lens abberations that are fooling the AF. The 35 is much much more reliable.

If you want a wide angle, don't bother with the SMC 14mm 2.8, it's not worth it. The 15mm limited is not bad, but sharpness is not its strongest point. It's main feature is the super small form factor.
The SMC DA 12-24 F4 AL is legend, however there may be a new wide angle zoom coming out towards end of this year, so you may want to wait until then.
If you don't mind manual focus (and you shouldn't, for wide angle), buy the Samyang 14mm 2.8 or 10mm 2.8. It's also rebranded as Bower / Rokinon. Unlike other brands, Pentax has an aperture lever, so you *can* use those manual lenses with auto-aperture - only the focus stays manual (just go hyperfocal and problem solved). And don't forget: pentax has IBIS - all lenses, even the manual 3rd party ones, will be fully stabilized!

It's actually a good idea to buy the plastic fantastic lenses (35mm 2.4 / 50mm 1.8) first and save your money for some decent glass. Just take your time doing some research. Pentax may not have as many lenses as Nikon, but they surely have a much broader spectrum - DA, DA*, WR, HD, SMC, SDM, DC, Limited - there are so many flavors in Pentax land.
At some point every pentaxian has to decide whether he/she goes pentax limited or not. After you bought your first pentax limited lens, you will probably want them all (at least that's what happened to me). They are the finest lenses I ever owned - look&feel like they've been machined from a solid block of metal. If you have been infected with the "limited" virus can't afford them you end up selling your other gear (also happened to me).

Oh yes and SMC is Pentax's supersonic motor. It's not a ring type and it had issues with reliability in the past (Pentax reps said they've been resolved). DC is a ring type direct current (brushless) motor which is - from a technical standpoint - superior to even the ring type USM motors of other manufacturers. However, it's fairly new and only few lenses have it.

Hoper you don't mind the wall of text, seems I got carried away a fair bit
In case you didn't know it already, here's a link to the Pentax lens lineup:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/products/lens/images/K_Mount_Lens.pdf

07-05-2015, 01:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for the information aleaonx3, that is certainly excellent news, I haven't done manual focusing for a while since my eyesight is not what it used to be but one of the things that helped me decide on the K-3 was the excellent view finder. Most everyone speaks very highly of how clear this view finder is, so as soon as I get my camera one of the first things I will be doing is testing it to see how well I can focus with it; if all comes out as expected then surely I will look into manual focus lenses since I really enjoy using them and I actually miss it. BTW, do you know where I might be able to find some sort of information on manual focus Pentax lenses that can be used on the Pentax k-3?

JJ
I am one of those who don't have good eyesight but enjoy manual focus lenses immensely - the reason being that I set up my camera to do "catch-in-focus" when the camera PDAF system detected that the subject (center point) is in focus (green hexagon or beep). I just keep the shutter release button pressed while I am turning the focus ring on the lens. It is easier to do once you get used to it because all I am concentrating on is the center point. And of course, you have to get familiar with the lens as to which direction to turn the focus ring from near to far.

There are many K mount and m42 lenses available just about any where on fleabay or your favorite camera stores that sell used lenses. I have most of the K/M/A and Takumar m42 lenses. You can get feel for how the lenses work on your camera first... and then you can decide to go after lenses of certain focal lengths...
07-05-2015, 01:36 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
but the 50mm has issues with autofocus.
Sometimes my DA 50mm 1.8 can be hit or miss on the autofocus, which is weird because my FA 77mm 1.8 is always nearly spot on.

5-Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S (Inexpensive prime but sharp very sharp)
This is a great lens from what I've heard, and was one I was looking at when I thought about buying Nikon before I ended up choosing Pentax for the water resistance (WR) feature. The DA 35mm f2.4 should impress you as much as your Nikon 35mm f1.8 does, as long as you are ok with the smaller max aperture. Just keep in mind the DA 35mm f2.4 does not have water resistance and not all Pentax lenses do.

From what I heard about the mirror flop issue, it was due to new batteries that were fully charged causing it to happen. After a couple of charging and discharging cycles it apparently went away. Also, it usually doesn't happen very often, if at all.

Last edited by stillshot2; 07-05-2015 at 01:43 PM.
07-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
In this case, this lens is also available for pentax, so good news for you. Another possibility would be the Tamron 10-24mm F3.5-4.5 Di II or the SMC Pentax-DA 12-24mm F4 ED AL.
There are good In-depth reviews and a lot of user-reviews on this site which may help you decide.
That Pentax DA 12-24mm looks tempting indeed I also notice that a lot of Pentax users seem to prefer Tamron lenses over Sigma, is there a particular reason for this? My experience with Tamron has not been so good.

QuoteQuote:
SDM...Supersonic Drive Motor and DC...Direct Current are the two silent AF systems Pentax benefits. The SDM system is reported to be not as reliable as the newer DC AF system but I don't have any first-hand experience, because I don't own any of those lenses.
The K-3 (K-5, K-5II,...) is only Weather-Resistant (WR) when used with a WR or AW lens (primarily zoom lenses, except for DA* lenses)
All K mount lenses will work, but SMC Pentax-A, F, FA, or DA lenses are more convenient because with Pentax-K and -M lenses you can't control the aperture from the camera

Man thanks a million for explaining that to me, excellent information that I will certainly print and keep it on hand. So AW lenses are only found on the DA* lens line?

JJ
07-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Pentaxian

By the way, is there any place in the forums where I can find useful information regarding those primes you mentioned? maybe I can get some on eBay.

Cheers,

JJ
Check the user reviews under "lenses" from the front page. Folks here have reviewed everything from DA* to Takumar M42, Asahi to Zenitar and everything in between. Heck I buy oddball lenses some times just so they get in the database! My Vivitar/Kobori 35-105mm f/3.2-4 is the latest of those.. and stabilized of course
07-05-2015, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Good Morning,

I love the Caribbean, the crystal clear blue water, the sailing and everything else. You might consider looking for the lenses on the Forum's Marketplace. The 35/f2.4 when its on sale (during the holidays) goes for $111 new. I have also seen very good prices here on the 50 as well.

The difference between the K5II and the K5IIs is only the lack of an AA filter on the IIs. Otherwise, the two are identical.
The Caribbean is lovely indeed with all the white sandy beaches with turquoise water, but the humidity can really get to you.

June, July and August are the worst; sometimes after I leave my home or office, after being on AC, and walk outside I feel as if I hit a brick wall from all the humidity, but hey it sure beats shoveling snow in upstate NY....

I found the Pentax 21987 DA 35mm f/2.4 AL at 122.65 on Amazon with free shipping since I'm on Amazon prime, actually I already have it on my cart

QuoteQuote:
As far as a book, I would suggest Yvon's K3 book. The manual explains the operation/functionality of the camera - but does not explain to you as to why it's there or why (what situations) you might be interested in using it. You can buy/download it on line, and keep it on your desktop. He offers a free sample for you to take a look at....
Thanks for suggesting Yvon's book, I followed the link you posted but was not able to get the sample, but it seems it is exactly what I'm looking for, something that would go beyond the camera manual and explain the why's, the when, and give suggestions. Most probably will order it since it is on sale until today.

QuoteQuote:
To tell you the truth, I have not seen a lot of posts about it in the last year or so. There may be some instances. One lady who was doing time lapse imaging (professionally), taking several thousand frames a day (and wearing out several bodies in the process), was one of the main folks affected. She worked closely with Pentax in finding a solution, testing out fixes, etc. She has moved on to a Sony mirrorless. That is somewhat of a non answer - but without a K3 and with plans to essentially leapfrog it, that's what I remember.

You are essentially doing what I discovered a number of years ago. Buying one model behind the current - saves a tremendous amount of money, gets you a body that is well known/understood and mature with all the bugs worked out. It is an acquisition approach that worked very well for me over the last 8 years or so.
Well I'll just keep my fingers crossed and just hope for the best since I'm not in the US you have no idea the pain that it is having to return an Item to the US and all the paper work that I have to fill out son when the product returns to the country customs doesn't charge me again with taxes. Anyway when I buy the camera and receive it, will check what version of firmware it has installed and if it's not the latest one I will upgrade it.

Actually her video was the first video that I watched in regards to this issue and because it I had almost discarded the K-3 as a viable option..funny how things work out in the end. In this country there is an old Spanish saying that goes something like this "When something is truly meant for you, no matter how many problems and difficulties you have to face, sooner or later it will find its way to you" and that is exactly what happened between the K-3 and myself.

QuoteQuote:
You can get the same Sigma WA lens. I have their 8-16 along with the 18-35 (for astro). I also have the Pentax 10-17 Fisheye and the 12-24. They are all wonderful.
My friend you have a lens paradise for us landscape photography lovers, I really like Sigma lenses and have had very good experience with them, unfortunately can't say the same with Tamron so I guess I'm a little biased in this area. Also that Pentax lenses look really sweet, specially the 12-24.

It will definitely take me a while to build my Pentax platform , my goal is that by December I should have two nice lenses, a Wide angle zoom, a mid-range zoom, a good midrange Flash (another area where I need help) and for sure I will need the external battery grip since I have rather big hands. I really don't know how the camera's ergonomics will feel in my hand since I have only seen the camera on pictures and videos but just in case I'm prepared on getting the grip.

For now, the K-3 and the 35mm lens (will also try to get the 50mm) and also a screen protector.

Take good care and have a great evening my friend, you have really been a great help.

Cheers,

JJ

---------- Post added 07-05-15 at 02:25 PM ----------

Ladies and gentlemen, first I would like to thank each and everyone who took the time to post in this thread in order to help me. One of the first person to reply to my post was interested_observer and he mentioned that this forum was like no other forum and he is totally correct, it has really been a pleasure to take advise from you guys with out the usual flaming or wise cracks that you find in other forums when what you write goes against their way of thinking.

No having said that, I would like to inform you that I have purchased the K-3 and that I don't feel as bad as I thought I would feel. My desiccation was not only based on the technical characteristics of the camera, though I have to admit that it did play an important part, but my final decision was based on all the response I received from all of you, so thank you !!!!

Now comes the hard part, waiting at least 10 to 15 days until it reaches my needy hands..lol

Tomorrow will order the lens or lenses, could not order them with the camera because of customs and the taxes I would have to pay.

Any useful links you guys can send my way in regards to setting the camera up would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards to all,

JJL
07-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The two things that I think your really going to enjoy is the shake reduction in the body and second if you are going to invest in manual lenses, the green button when pushed will give you auto exposure like behavior.
As far as high ISO the K3 is a step down from the K5iis as I own both models.
24MP is great for cropping when you are doing people.
If you need fast autofocus I think your Nikons would likely be better. The K3 and the K5iis are very close to each other. If I didn't give my K5iis to my wife I, now looking back, would likely have stayed with the K5iis

Take your time... remember you are on a Pentax site so some information will a a bit biased

Good luck

Randy
07-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any useful links you guys can send my way in regards to setting the camera up would be greatly appreciated.
The settings described in the In-Depth review of the K-3 are a good starting point till you find out your own preferences.
Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

So AW lenses are only found on the DA* lens line?
Generally yes but there are two exceptions as far as I know:
The new HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm and HD Pentax-DA 560mm
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/192493-wr-aw-lens...w-existed.html

Enjoy your new camera.
Regards, Patrick
07-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some suggestions for where to buy lenses. KEH.com is excellent. Mainly used, but they evaluate them very conservatively. Their pricing is excellent, and they have a 90 day warranty. And here are a few 35/f2.4 in excellent (essentially new) condition for $115 to $120.And here is a 50/f1.8 in like new condition for $120..... also, here are a few lenses that you can consider in your spare time...Here are some sites for Pentax lens information. Sorry, but there are not as many as support Nikon.

Last edited by interested_observer; 07-05-2015 at 04:06 PM.