Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any reviews of the K-3ii by photo mags yet?

Hello All,
I would have thought enough time has passed since the K-3ii hit the streets, for the photo mags to publish hands on reviews, but I haven't seen hide nor hair.
Anyone seen any?

Cheers,
Terry

07-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't read print photo mags. But Photography Blog did a K-3 II review recently.
And, of course, Ken Rockwell has done a hands-on K-3 II review recently too.
07-05-2015, 12:27 AM   #3

Ephotozine: Pentax K-3 Mark II Review
07-05-2015, 01:49 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great camera, it deserves ***** stars!

07-05-2015, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery
Ken's review is pretty comical, as usual.
07-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As far as magazines go, not yet. It's gonna take a couple more months before they have reviews out.
07-05-2015, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I don't read print photo mags. But Photography Blog did a K-3 II review recently.
And, of course, Ken Rockwell has done a hands-on K-3 II review recently too.
Rockwell has his bias, and completely missed the boat with the weatherproofing and in-camera shake reduction when comparing the Pentax to other brands.

07-06-2015, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

LOL @ Rockwell.

He laments the missing on-board flash ("Without a built-in flash, image quality will suffer, especially outdoors since you won't have any fill-flash (critical to good outdoor people pictures) unless you bring a separate shoe-mount flash. Boo.") but turns around and says that Pentax doesn't make anything that's professional enough for him ("Pentax makes no professional DSLRs").

He says "Canon and Nikon make better and more refined cameras for the same price if you actually own and use them as I do." OK, sure. If what you do is, I suppose, take professional portraits outdoors using the on-board flash.

This Guy.
07-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
LOL @ Rockwell.

He laments the missing on-board flash ("Without a built-in flash, image quality will suffer, especially outdoors since you won't have any fill-flash (critical to good outdoor people pictures) unless you bring a separate shoe-mount flash. Boo.") but turns around and says that Pentax doesn't make anything that's professional enough for him ("Pentax makes no professional DSLRs").

He says "Canon and Nikon make better and more refined cameras for the same price if you actually own and use them as I do." OK, sure. If what you do is, I suppose, take professional portraits outdoors using the on-board flash.

This Guy.
But the P on the mode dial means "Professional".

And what ever happened to "I'm not a professional because I would have to pay extra for insurance"?

And lets not forget "Professionals are out shooting all day, every day". "I'm updating my web site all day everyday".
07-12-2015, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
LOL @ Rockwell.
and can someone please explain to me how the 645z is "near-medium format"?
07-12-2015, 08:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

so in one paragraph Rockwell praises Pentax for keeping the same mount and backwards compatibility versus Canikon... and then in a paragraph at the end he says your old lenses are basically useless because of the pain of using them on modern cameras.... so which is it Ken? is it an advantage or not?

no pop up flash makes image quality suffer for pros? that must be why many Canon pro cameras have pop up flashes...

no professional cameras? why? just because there is no FF out yet? I dare say half the pro portrait photographers I see shoot crop sensors...
07-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for directing me to Rockwells' review. I needed a good laugh.
07-13-2015, 02:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by skunktail Quote
and can someone please explain to me how the 645z is "near-medium format"?
I think he means that current 645 digital cameras have a crop frame as compared to traditional 645 film. It is still bigger than full frame 35mm sensor/film so qualifies for medium format in my book.