Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Silver or Gunmetal K-3 II

this might look like a very shallow question to ask, but I have a K-3 silver and I love it. It looks really cool with limited lenses and always have people being curious about my camera (which helps for some spontaneous portraits). I was thinking of upgrading to a K-3 II for the improved IS and the integrated geotagging, but was wondering if Ricoh is thinking of releasing a similar Silver (or even Gunmetal) version of the camera.

Any thought?

07-05-2015, 05:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt they will since there will be a successor soon enough. If you like your silver K-3 I would just hang on to it The external GPS unit is actually a lot smaller than it looks if you need geotagging.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The IS is improved on the K-3 II? Has this been formally tested anywhere?
07-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Just by the ratings folk (cipa?) and anecdotes from a few users. I haven't seen anything precise or rigorous yet.

07-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Re. silver edition, remember there hasn't been any for K-5 II.
Moreover, silver and gunmetal K-3 are still for sale, which means there hasn't been any rush on them...
07-05-2015, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #6

And there's nothing "shallow" about caring how the camera looks. I guarantee you every camera manufacturer puts a considerable amount of design and consideration into the appearance of the cameras they sell. However, being Japanese, Pentax may be a little more gonzo for color than the rest of the world -- PENTAX - K-50 Custom Colors

Last edited by fredralphfred; 07-05-2015 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added a word for clarity
07-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
The IS is improved on the K-3 II? Has this been formally tested anywhere?
Yes. It is now supposed to be a CIPA rated 4.5 stops now instead of 3.5. I haven't seen any test yet

---------- Post added 07-05-15 at 11:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I doubt they will since there will be a successor soon enough. If you like your silver K-3 I would just hang on to it The external GPS unit is actually a lot smaller than it looks if you need geotagging.
I have the GPS unit but I always forget to carry batteries and they tend to run empty quickly. I tend to forget to put it as well, which can be frustrating when I go in remote places, as I like to geotag to remember the exact location of my pictures
07-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I definitely plan on testing the SR in a controlled fashion, but have you guys experienced scenarios where the current SR wasn't enough? I mean if it's possible to hand-hold at 1/8s or 1/10s, that's close to as good as it's going to get.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I have the gun metal K3 and can tell you that the difference between it and the black colour is subtle. If you want a camera to stick out, the silver would be the way to go
JMHO

Good luck

Randy
09-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
just get a black one and send it to dcshooter. :P
09-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Re. silver edition, remember there hasn't been any for K-5 II.
Moreover, silver and gunmetal K-3 are still for sale, which means there hasn't been any rush on them...
Where are the silver ones for sale?
09-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I have the gun metal K3 and can tell you that the difference between it and the black colour is subtle. If you want a camera to stick out, the silver would be the way to go
JMHO

Good luck

Randy
Although the special editions are nice, I still feel the all black is the best looking. However, the ability to get a limited edition strap might be nice.