Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
focus peaking

Could someone please walk me through peak focusing on the K3?
Oops I mean focus peaking
Thanks

Randy

Last edited by slip; 07-07-2015 at 04:27 PM.
07-07-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Its called focus peaking. You have to be in live view, then you choose it in the Menu. I think you can set it up with the Green button, but I don't have a K-3 to be sure. You can look in the manual for more info
Here is the introductory video when FP was first released:

One more thing, when using FP, it is usually a good idea to couple it with digital zoom. And FP is not perfect for all lenses, especially for lenses that are slow (narrow aperture), have really poor contrast (older lenses, or those super-cheap telescopes) or is really wide angle (for example, Samyang 14mm has DoF so wide, FP is almost useless for far subjects)
07-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Could someone please walk me through peak focusing on the K3?
I don't have a K-3, but I do have a K-30 and K-50, both of which have focus peaking. I would imagine the K-3 has some improvement in focus peaking, but probably is pretty similar in use. You activate focus peaking in the menu and it stays on. I have not had any problems using focus peaking with any lens or with any distances. You can really get a great idea of the depth of field. I use it when I use a tripod, it really shines at night when autofocus lenses struggle. It's harder to use in bright conditions since you are using the screen, I seldom use a tripod if it's really bright out. My rate of keepers with manual focus lenses has really improved, focus peaking makes it hard to miss. It makes me wish I had some old manual focus lenses back that I had with my K20D, the ones that I gave up on because I could get very few photos in focus.
07-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I do have a K-3. The easiest way to enable focus peaking in live view:
  • Push the red LV button to enter that mode
  • Push the info button to display the info options
  • Use the four-way controller to navigate to the "Peak" pane and use the rear e-dial to turn the feature on

Steve

07-08-2015, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have used it on the K-50 and I have to grudgingly admit that it's useful. I don't really like it, in fact the first time I activated it by mistake I thought I had broken my camera, but it does help to get things in focus if you're having a hard time seeing. It is particularly useful in places were there is a lot of clutter and detail in the image and you want to zero in on a particular point of interest and be sure that feature is in sharp focus. I always double check in the viewfinder though, just to be sure it's what I want.
07-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't see any difference between the K-3 and K-30 focus peaking other than the slight difference in screen size and brightness. I can't imagine why I would ever turn it off. Used at very wide apertures (f/2.4 and greater) it usually gives you much better focusing assist than anything you add to the viewfinder or focusing screen.
07-09-2015, 04:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Focus peaking and high magnification is the only way I use manual focus lenses. Catch in focus does work fairly well, but I still prefer to check the precision of focus using my eyes. I'd say that K-3 is a huge improvement over K-01 when it comes to focus peaking.

07-09-2015, 04:52 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stagnant Quote
. I'd say that K-3 is a huge improvement over K-01 when it comes to focus peaking.
What's different, Stagnant?
07-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I do almost all portrait work with manual lenses because my AF lenses in the range are relatively slow. (I don't view 50mm as portrait length.) For critical open aperture work in low light and most portraiture, I attach a good 3x screen magnifier on the K-01. The ridge on the mount provides better shading in bright light as well as a nice thumb guide for finding buttons - even when the loupe isn't attached. The loupe gives me great precision when combined with 2x or 4x magnification. On the K-3, I'd find a screen magnifier and mount a hassle. The screen is bigger and brighter, so the need for a loupe is much less. I don't know if the word for the difference would be "huge," but certainly noticeable - especially in bright conditions. As for the focus peaking itself, I don't see it working any differently.
07-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
What's different, Stagnant?
The "grain" that accentuates parts in focus is "finer" compared to K-01. Better screen resolution helps alot as well. I found it easier to nail the focus using Helios 44K-4 at F2 on K-3 as opposed to K-01.
07-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The "grain" that accentuates parts in focus is "finer" compared to K-01. Better screen resolution helps alot as well. I found it easier to nail the focus using Helios 44K-4 at F2 on K-3 as opposed to K-01.
Good to know.

I don't mind a finer or lesser amount, since focus peaking can be ... er, optimistic.

I prefer magnification in LV/EVF, and split prism in OVF.
07-09-2015, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

You can actually combine focus peaking and live view magnification. That way you can achieve the best results. From my experience with film SLR, I can tell, that a magnifying eye cup is also a very useful tool. Since my eyesight is not perfect (I wear glasses), I sometimes missed the focus when using wide aperture lenses even though the SLR is equipped with microprism and split screen. With the pentax magnifying eyepiece focusing became easier and more precise. In my experience the same trick will not work on DSLR, since the focusing screen is not equipped with microprism or split image prism, thus making the eyepiece rather useless.<br />
So, once you get used to focus peaking in live view and magnification you are bound to get great results.

Last edited by Stagnant; 07-09-2015 at 10:25 PM.
07-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

. In my experience the same trick will not work on DSLR, since the focusing screen is not equipped with microprism of split image prism
Well, my Katzeye is, but that company has just gone out of business.
07-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Agreed about the viewfinder magnifier - huge difference - and you can get more benefit from the dSLR with a better magnifier that was designed for the newer bodies. The ebay generic 1.3x units with the brass screws adapter (not KPS) are great, much higher quality than the Pentax version. Basically, you get nearly FF acuity with the magnifier (still a bit darker though). Not that LV magnification with FP isn't even better when using f/1.4 lenses - that's best for relatively static compositions.