Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Recently Bought K-3 Premium Edition + SMC 18-270mm

I am new in Pentax. Recently bought Pentax K-3 Silver Premium Edition along with the following items:

- Pentax K-3 Silver Premium Special Edition (Only 1500 Units Manufactured Globally)
- Pentax 18-270mm SMC
- Dolice L.A. Camera Bag
- Eye-fi Mobi Pro 32GB (Wifi Tech Card_
- 64 GB SDXC Card
- Flex DSLR screen protector
- U.S.A Gear DSLR Handgrip
- Wasabi 2X Pentax Batteries with Car Charger
- JVC 18-300mm lens pouch

Yesterday 1st testing shots:

I need some help regarding settings.

I need settings for Aviation Photography and Portrait Photography. Can anyone suggest me settings for 18-270mm (Portrait & Sports/Aviation) ?

Thanks, Waleed

07-09-2015, 05:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-270mm is what we call a superzoom lens- it can be used for everything, but it isn't optimal for any one type of photography. Your basic shooting technique is therefore really going to be the most important factor in overcoming the limitations of the lens. Ultimately, though, I would strongly recommend expanding your kit.

For portraiture you'd ideally want a standard or short telephoto lens with a fast aperture, such as the 50mm F1.8 (very affordable) or 55mm F1.4 (premium). If you want to use the 18-270mm, keep it in the 35mm to 70mm focal length range, be as close to your subject as possible, and shoot wide-open. The 18-270mm has fairly prominent distortion at its longer zoom settings, so these should be avoided when taking portraits.

For sports you'd want a telephoto lens with a wide aperture and fast focusing. Since the 18-270mm is only F6.3, it might be a bit slower to focus than you'd like. But essentially, use the longer focal length settings, enable in-camera lens corrections to get rid of vignetting, use AF-C, and fire away. Another great technique to keep in mind for sports is panning (for more details on technique, scroll down to the action photography heading here).

Better tele alternatives to the 18-270mm include the Pentax 55-300mm F4-5.8 (affordable), 60-250mm F4 (premium), or Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 (premium / fastest).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 18-270mm is what we call a superzoom lens- it can be used for everything, but it isn't optimal for any one type of photography. Your basic shooting technique is therefore really going to be the most important factor in overcoming the limitations of the lens. Ultimately, though, I would strongly recommend expanding your kit.

For portraiture you'd ideally want a standard or short telephoto lens with a fast aperture, such as the 50mm F1.8 (very affordable) or 55mm F1.4 (premium). If you want to use the 18-270mm, keep it in the 35mm to 70mm focal length range, be as close to your subject as possible, and shoot wide-open. The 18-270mm has fairly prominent distortion at its longer zoom settings, so these should be avoided when taking portraits.

For sports you'd want a telephoto lens with a wide aperture and fast focusing. Since the 18-270mm is only F6.3, it might be a bit slower to focus than you'd like. But essentially, use the longer focal length settings, enable in-camera lens corrections to get rid of vignetting, use AF-C, and fire away. Another great technique to keep in mind for sports is panning (for more details on technique, scroll down to the action photography heading here).

Better tele alternatives to the 18-270mm include the Pentax 55-300mm F4-5.8 (affordable), 60-250mm F4 (premium), or Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 (premium / fastest).
Thanks for in-detail reponse. Can you please tell me for what purpose for what type of photography 18-270mm lens good for ?

I am into Aviation/Military, Motorsports and wildlife photography. Can you please recommend me best lens for Motorsports + wildlife?

---------- Post added 07-09-15 at 05:26 AM ----------

Please Also recommended me in Limited Edition lens...

---------- Post added 07-09-15 at 05:30 AM ----------

I've discussed about my shooting type (Flying objects, Motorsports particular Superbikes Racings) with Pentax Dealer. They recommended me 18-270 over 55-300. I told them about my interests in capturing fast/motion/moving objects so i am realy not interested to lost the object while passing... so they recommand me 18-270 over 55-300 because of having sonic motor.
07-09-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Longer is your friend for what you want, so a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is good and works with the DA 1.4 AW teleconverter. There is alo the Sigma 150-500, though it is a little weak at 500mm.

07-09-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Longer is your friend for what you want, so a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 is good and works with the DA 1.4 AW teleconverter. There is alo the Sigma 150-500, though it is a little weak at 500mm.
I need lens with fast auto-focus (fast motoring lens). Is that Tamron 70-200 having fast focus ? I don't want to loose the object like a fighter jet or a motorcycle with slow focus.
07-09-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fotorix Quote
I need lens with fast auto-focus (fast motoring lens). Is that Tamron 70-200 having fast focus ? I don't want to loose the object like a fighter jet or a motorcycle with slow focus.
On the K3 it does focus fast. Sure, it uses screw drive, so will be louder than one with SDM/DC/HSM, but focus speed on the K3 is great. I've tracked birds in flight with it on mine. Also, for a fighter jet you need to go longer most likely, which is why I recommended the Sigma 150-500 HSM, though you may want to speak to some here about the new Pentax 150-450.
07-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
On the K3 it does focus fast. Sure, it uses screw drive, so will be louder than one with SDM/DC/HSM, but focus speed on the K3 is great. I've tracked birds in flight with it on mine. Also, for a fighter jet you need to go longer most likely, which is why I recommended the Sigma 150-500 HSM, though you may want to speak to some here about the new Pentax 150-450.
I am little confuzed about 18-270mm... may i going to return this or keep this one ? Because few from my friends who are using 55-300 and 18-270 encouraged me for 18-270 over many lens just because of motoring lens.... From last 2 days (after got my K-3), feel that my pictures are blur... don't exactly know why.. I've already tried different settings etc but still failed to produce sharp image...

07-09-2015, 06:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

A super zoom lens is mainly for convenience as some will call it "one lens will do it all" as most DSLR beginners will use that kind of lens when they start out. It is not a stellar lens (in terms of speed and image quality) but it will get the job done. I think the Pentax 18-270 is a re-badge of the Tamron version.
07-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotorix Quote
I am little confuzed about 18-270mm... may i going to return this or keep this one ? Because few from my friends who are using 55-300 and 18-270 encouraged me for 18-270 over many lens just because of motoring lens.... From last 2 days (after got my K-3), feel that my pictures are blur... don't exactly know why.. I've already tried different settings etc but still failed to produce sharp image...
The 18-270 is considered a 'Travel Lens.' It's typical purpose is to give good - not great - performance in many situations. The travel part comes from the deal that if you have to travel with your camera and want to go light or simple, the 18-270 will try to give you focal length choices for everything. This is what I use mine for and sometimes for times when I just want to go simple. Personally I like the flexibility of this lens even though I have better glass.
07-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the 18-270 specifically. My feeling with super zooms in general is that they are nice walk around lenses if you have good light. They have pretty slow apertures and so need quite a bit of light, particularly at the long end.

For flight photography, a lot depends on how close you can get. I think the Sigma 150-500 or the Pentax 150-450 would be nice options for that. From results I have seen, the 150-450 is definitely a step above the Sigma, for what it is worth.

As far as purchasing a limited lens, a lot depends on what you plan to shoot with it. FA 31 and DA 35 are more "normal" lenses. Quite sharp. Longer lenses like the DA 70 or the FA 77 are more useful for portraiture or maybe street photography. I would consider the DA 15 and 21 to be more consistent with landscape photography.

As the 18-270, I would probably send it back and just get a copy of the DA 18-135 to meet your every day walk around needs and then fill in around it with specialty lenses. The 18-135 is quite a bit cheaper, but neither it or the 18-270 will work well for wildlife or airplane photography just because they are pretty slow (and not that long either).