Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Trigger won't work with K-3 II?

I *just* came home from a studio shoot, were I've previously done tons of shooting using K-30. With the K-3 II however, I was having issues with the trigger. It would only fire ones. I checked flash settings and double, even triple checked how the trigger was mounted. All seemed OK. I also swapped out the batteries with some I had brought myself.

We have 2 triggers in the studio - same behavior with the second one as well, so I'm thinking it could be camera related?

The triggers look exactly like this one:
LH & TTS - Fjernebetjening (32 kanaler) & Radio trigger (1 kanal)

I always bring a flash as a backup solution to trigger the strobes, so I was able to proceed with the shoot. Never had any need for the backup plan before though.

Edit: BTW, none of my flashes or triggers have any issues with K-3 II (Cactus v4, Metz 58 AF-2, Yongnuo YN560 and Godox TT660II)

UPDATE 10/02/2016:

As mentioned earlier, the trigger will fire once, however I've discovered since that if I press the test button, I could do another shot. Then had to press the test button again to do another shot etc. etc. I tried to complete a shoot today using this workaround, but it sucked as I couldn't concentrate on the actual shoot at all.

A couple of months ago I tried the trigger using a sync cable. With the trigger on the hotshoe + sync cable, I would get a behavior as I just described above. With the trigger off the hotshoe + sync cable, it behaved as it should - but for some reason, today it wouldn't. Today it was behaving as if the trigger was mounted on the hot show (shoot, reset with test button, shoot, reset with test button...).

Finally an idea came to right out of the blue - I also always bring my Cactus v4 triggers with me, but have never had any use for them before. I bring them in case I might need them for the flash - I mounted the strobe trigger on the Cactus and it worked. So yeah, I ended up using a trigger to trigger a trigger. I kept shooting like this for the remainder 1 hours without any glitches.

Anyhow, something seems to be off - the trigger itself should work, but lets just pretend it's some crappy design - then there's the thing about the cable sync. It worke when I tested it few months ago but not now. I keep my shutterspeed at 1/125 btw.

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 02-10-2016 at 02:55 PM.
07-11-2015, 04:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
*bump*
07-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
With the K-3 II i was having issues with the trigger. It would only fire ones.
Sounds like the issue that the K-5 had with (some) Yongnuos. If those are your triggers, you might be able to modify them (requires some trial and error as well as soldering skills).
07-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not familiar with the K-5 issue. Anyhow, these aren't my triggers so it seems I'll have to rely on flash to trigger the strobes from now on

07-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might be an option to buy your own triggers and take them to the studio; I don't have a K3-II nor radio-triggers, so can't really advice. Ask in the flash section for experiences.

Good luck.
07-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The strobes have built in receivers so I don't think I can use just any triggers.
07-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Are you possibly shooting in a mode that allows the shutter speed to go above 1/180 sec?

Pentax cripples their DSLRs to not allow firing of non-PTTL-HSS flash when the shutter speed is faster than the sync speed.
Set your camera dial to 'X' to make sure it stays at the x-sync speed of 1/180 sec, or set otherwise to ensure your shutter speed does not fluctuate such that it goes faster than 1/180 sec.
07-21-2015, 04:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Checking the shutterspeed was the first thing I did when I noticed something was off and it's usually set to 1/125 - removing and adding the trigger was the second thing I attempted and that's when I noticed, that I could fire one time and then had to re-mount the trigger or turn off/on before I could shoot again. But still just once.

Never used X mode before (never had it) and didn't try it.

02-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've updated the first post with the following:

As mentioned earlier, the trigger will fire once, however I've discovered since that if I press the test button, I could do another shot. Then had to press the test button again to do another shot etc. etc. I tried to complete a shoot today using this workaround, but it sucked as I couldn't concentrate on the actual shoot at all.

A couple of months ago I tried the trigger using a sync cable. With the trigger on the hotshoe + sync cable, I would get a behavior as I just described above. With the trigger off the hotshoe + sync cable, it behaved as it should - but for some reason, today it wouldn't. Today it was behaving as if the trigger was mounted on the hot show (shoot, reset with test button, shoot, reset with test button...).

Finally an idea came to right out of the blue - I also always bring my Cactus v4 triggers with me, but have never had any use for them before. I bring them in case I might need them for the flash - I mounted the strobe trigger on the Cactus and it worked. So yeah, I ended up using a trigger to trigger a trigger. I kept shooting like this for the remainder 1 hours without any glitches.

Anyhow, something seems to be off - the trigger itself should work, but lets just pretend it's some crappy design - then there's the thing about the cable sync. It worke when I tested it few months ago but not now. I keep my shutterspeed at 1/125 btw.
02-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #10

Here is a thread where I did a bunch of measurements related to flash triggering with a K-3ii. Problem triggering strobe with Pentax K3ii: Studio and Lighting Technique Forum: Digital Photography Review
It just seems that the K-3ii has a different circuit than used on the K-30 which causes compatibility issues with some pieces of equipment but not with others. I discovered that to trigger Photoflex stobes I needed to use wireless triggers, the direct cable connection to the K-3ii did not work (except for the first time).
02-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm "glad" I am not the only one experiencing this. I too was starting to suspect the camera might not be working as it should.

Thanks for your input, GSWayne. It's very appreciated. Now I wonder, not that it matters too much, whether it's Ricoh who made bad changes, or if it's the different manufactures, who does not comply well to the standards.
02-11-2016, 04:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I've had some experience of misfire using the yongnou 560II and my k-5II. I believe there were some issues and that's why I'm a little wary in purchasing another yongnou flash. As for my k-3II, I purchased a Pentax hot shoe adapter so I can mount and use it directly on the camera. I did a couple of shots and so far no misfires.

I also have the cactus V4 system and so far I don't have any problems using it on both cameras. From what I've read, it's only the Cactus systems that I haven't seen any negative feedback. I would say that that's the safest trigger system to use.