Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
under exposure in average metering mode

I get a lot of under exposure in average metering mode compared to center weighted mode.
Is anyone else experience this as well?
No highlight exposure protection on.

Thanks

Randy

07-10-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I get a lot of under exposure in average metering mode compared to center weighted mode.
Is anyone else experience this as well?
No highlight exposure protection on.

Thanks

Randy
I don't have that problem. But if you are metering differently, then its highly possible that your exposures will be different. In a landscape, center-weighted might expose for the trees but blow out the sky, but matrix mode might exposre for a lot of sky, which means the trees will be much darker.
07-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Whether in Auto or set to On, Highlight Compensation does not ever cause any form of underexposure - assuming that you are using a full-functioning RAW converter. If JPEG, the camera will not be tricked into underexposure due to HC. It doesn't work that way.

I'd agree with enoeske that matrix mode will tend to expose darker in typical landscape situations. In thousands of shots, I am yet to see a severe underexposure from the K-3, but I use Multi (matrix) almost exclusively. At least on my unit, it seems calibrated too far toward overexposure - especially when using center-weighted. I'm not sure what you mean by "average metering mode" as this would describe what old film cameras did with the most basic setting. The K-3 has Multi (matrix - and not at all like average metering), center weighted, and spot. For the most part, Multi will compute the scene best for typical shooting and recognize if a significant area is overly bright. Spot should be used to meter a specific part of the scene (then shift framing accordingly away from the center spot), recognizing that you might end up with a severe result in an area that isn't key to the shot. As for center-weighted, I haven't had good results with that setting on the K-3; it seems to be a carryover from the days when matrix did not exist. It might work well for a scene where the corner areas aren't important, but you want to nail exposure in the middle two-thirds of the image area.
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

You may get under or over exposure with any metering mode, depending on the scenery, and it may be different for every mode.

In theory, matrix measurement should care for that.

But this will work only if the different amounts of light coming from the matrix sections resemble one of the examples in the Pentax data base stored in the ROM memory of your camera. And matrix measurement will also be easily fooled if such a light intensity distribution fits an example, but the picture is a completely different scenery than this example.

For better understanding of the problem, search for zone measurement, and specially for what has changed with this going from film to digital.

By the way, there was a special problem with the red color on CCD sensors (I think it's better now with CMOS). Some tones of red color would only be reprocuced correctly when exposed correctly. Photographing some flowers could become a nightmare, as you needed to expose on the red parts, not caring whether other parts of a picture would now be under or over exposed, Slight under or over exposure with other colors just made it darker or lighter; but some kinds of red would additionally change to orange or violet. WB could not cure this problem.

07-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
You may get under or over exposure with any metering mode, depending on the scenery, and it may be different for every mode.

In theory, matrix measurement should care for that.

By the way, there was a special problem with the red color on CCD sensors (I think it's better now with CMOS). Some tones of red color would only be reprocuced correctly when exposed correctly. Photographing some flowers could become a nightmare, as you needed to expose on the red parts, not caring whether other parts of a picture would now be under or over exposed, Slight under or over exposure with other colors just made it darker or lighter; but some kinds of red would additionally change to orange or violet. WB could not cure this problem.
That's true, although in typical landscapes where the sky covers around one-third of the scene, you are more likely to get overexposures when shooting in center-weighted.

Red has been challenging to process, but I don't think the CCD vs. CMOS comparison has much to do with it. If anything, red has proven most challenging to Foveon and the Fuji X sensors. This probably has much to do with how well RAW processing can handle shifts. Unfortunately, the Adobe slider system makes exacting adjustments in spectrum and brightness challenging. The more-sophisticated converter and adjustment systems providing greater flexibility are easier to adjust precisely - at least that has been my experience. Green also shifts significantly, ranging from too yellow when overexposed to overly blue when underexposed. This tends to be easier to adjust in the slider system, though.
07-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I should have stated "matrix" not average exposure.

Thanks

Randy