Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A "visiting" K3 with no experience ... help needed !

That is one weird situation:

My daughter is visiting us here (Québec) from Calgary, Alberta and she has recently bought herself a brand new K3 !!
Now, because of her crazy work schedule, she hasn't even tried more than a dozen times or so ... (and get this) in "All Auto" mode !
She used to have a K-r but this K3 seems to overwhelm her quite a bit.
I have suggested to her that we will mount my DA*300/4 on her K3, also with the HD 1.4X TC, and "give it a go" !

My problem (and hers) is that I don't (yet) have a K3 myself and I have no idea what settings she would use with the K3 while here ... mostly for birding/wildlife.

Any suggestions to at least get us going with this new camera?

Note: I do have a K5 which I used nearly 100% of the time with the DA*300/4 (sometimes with the TC) but this newcomer will likely prove to be quite a different beast.

Thanks !!

Last edited by jpzk; 07-10-2015 at 07:48 PM.
07-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

K-5 and k-3 settings are not so different. I would set the camera up the same as you have the k-5, that way you are familiar with the way it is set up. Some of the menus are a little different, but when I bought the k-3 I just opened the menu on the k-5IIs and the k-3 and made them the same wherever I could. Yes, there are new things, but put the camera in Av or whatever mode you are comfortable with and it will work very close to the k-5.

---------- Post added 07-10-15 at 08:46 PM ----------

I would be happy to copy out my settings if that would help.
07-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

For starters you will notice an upgrade, from an IQ standpoint, from your K5 (I have a K5 and K3 and the DA* 300). You can use aperture priority at f4, as you already know that your 300 is sharp wide open. You will want to make sure the lens/camera combo doesn't require any AF adjustment, if so, adjust accordingly. Personally, with my K3 and DA* 300, I use the TAv mode for birds (shutter speed/aperture priority), and set it at f4 and 1/600s (just to be sure), and make sure my ISO range is 100-800. I seem to get better IQ with a setting such as this. I typically pair it with the DA 1.4x TC (420mm equivalent) and up the shutter speed to 1/800s. If in lower light, I typically go with my K5, since it seems to handle higher ISOs better (16Mb sensor maybe?). But really low light, the K3 will auto focus much better than the K5. Depends on the conditions. Depending on the TC you have may play a role. The DA for example is much better than than the Tamron 1.4x with the 300, in my opinion. Like others have stated in other postings, the DA 1.4x TC seems to be made for the DA 300, as they work awesome together.

**Just a warning, you may want to upgrade to the K3 after it "pays a visit." Or if the K3 is too much for your daughter and she likes your K5, maybe a swap??
07-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Helpful hints on settings for the K3 can be found on YouTube "Pentax K3 initial setup"
I also agree with the advice of using TAV mode for birding/ wildlife. Best of luck!

07-10-2015, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-5 and k-3 settings are not so different.
+1. I would go even further: K-7, K-5 and k-3 settings are not so different! I use almost the same settings in my K-7 and K-3, with excellent results IMHO. The main differences are the K-3's faster frame rates in high continuous shooting, a 24 Mp sensor allowing more cropping, and an excellent high-ISO files (compared to the K-7).

Personally I shoot mostly in P mode and set the shutter speed manually often. Alternately I use Tv.
07-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
K-5 and k-3 settings are not so different. I would set the camera up the same as you have the k-5, that way you are familiar with the way it is set up. Some of the menus are a little different, but when I bought the k-3 I just opened the menu on the k-5IIs and the k-3 and made them the same wherever I could. Yes, there are new things, but put the camera in Av or whatever mode you are comfortable with and it will work very close to the k-5.

---------- Post added 07-10-15 at 08:46 PM ----------

I would be happy to copy out my settings if that would help.
Thanks for the reply!
Sorry about my (late) reply !

Well, she is likely to use it as a "practice run" for birding and such wildlife stuff, so I would recommend to use TAv for that and Av for "other things" if she chooses to test a few other lenses apart from my DA*300/4.
I'll see how it goes and come back here for your offer if need be ... maybe I will come back with my own K3 .... we never know!

JP
07-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
For starters you will notice an upgrade , from an IQ standpoint, from your K5 (I have a K5 and K3 and the DA* 300). You can use aperture priority at f4, as you already know that your 300 is sharp wide open. You will want to make sure the lens/camera combo doesn't require any AF adjustment, if so, adjust accordingly. Personally, with my K3 and DA* 300, I use the TAv mode for birds (shutter speed/aperture priority), and set it at f4 and 1/600s (just to be sure), and make sure my ISO range is 100-800. I seem to get better IQ with a setting such as this. I typically pair it with the DA 1.4x TC (420mm equivalent) and up the shutter speed to 1/800s. If in lower light, I typically go with my K5, since it seems to handle higher ISOs better (16Mb sensor maybe?). But really low light, the K3 will auto focus much better than the K5. Depends on the conditions. Depending on the TC you have may play a role. The DA for example is much better than than the Tamron 1.4x with the 300, in my opinion. Like others have stated in other postings, the DA 1.4x TC seems to be made for the DA 300, as they work awesome together.

**Just a warning, you may want to upgrade to the K3 after it "pays a visit." Or if the K3 is too much for your daughter and she likes your K5, maybe a swap??
Thanks for the reply !
Is the "upgrade" for the K3 a firmware one?
I do too use TAv all the time with the K5 + DA300/4 ... so that will be easy enough to set up. As for the use of the Pentax HD TC (which I do have as well), we will have to see how her camera performs without it first.
Then it will be a matter of figuring out what she should use in terms of autofocus setting(s): number of points .... etc... Practice will tell I assume.

Chances are she will not let go of her K3 !!

Cheers!

JP

---------- Post added 07-15-15 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevwaly Quote
Helpful hints on settings for the K3 can be found on YouTube "Pentax K3 initial setup"
I also agree with the advice of using TAV mode for birding/ wildlife. Best of luck!
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
+1. I would go even further: K-7, K-5 and k-3 settings are not so different! I use almost the same settings in my K-7 and K-3, with excellent results IMHO. The main differences are the K-3's faster frame rates in high continuous shooting, a 24 Mp sensor allowing more cropping, and an excellent high-ISO files (compared to the K-7).

Personally I shoot mostly in P mode and set the shutter speed manually often. Alternately I use Tv.
Thnaks for the replies !

I have taken a look already at this YouTube video: helpful indeed, along with the Pentax Forum "official" review.

Cheers!