Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
But on the bottom image, I see only 2 separate color blocks, divided slightly above the middle on the left side...
I see the same thing. That would be consistent with fluorescent lighting, as vonBaloney brought up.

07-11-2015, 08:20 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
huh, I don't know what it is, but I get that when I use photoshop sometimes, so I just thought I needed to upgrade, which I don't want to do. I have no clue what it is, but I have seen it at times on my photos, but only in photoshop. Not sure if it is the same thing.
07-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Shooting under fluorescent/CFL lights?
The A 50 thread I posted was sunlight with AWB. The FA 50 pic was with these bulbs: EcoSmart 100-Watt Equivalent Incandescent A19 Light Bulb (4-Pack)-258467 - The Home Depot, which are listed at 2990 K. I corrected the WB in-camera to 2500 K.

I see multiple horizontal bands about 1/4 inch part on the top image, But on the bottom image, I see only 2 separate color blocks, divided slightly above the middle on the left side...
That is the seam between the horizontal and vertical acrylic panels.
07-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
The A 50 thread I posted was sunlight with AWB. The FA 50 pic was with these bulbs: EcoSmart 100-Watt Equivalent Incandescent A19 Light Bulb (4-Pack)-258467 - The Home Depot, which are listed at 2990 K. I corrected the WB in-camera to 2500 K.
Yeah I was thinking phase mismatch between the shutter and the lights that can happen, but that could not occur with sunlight so must be something else.

07-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
I see multiple horizontal bands about 1/4 inch part on the top image, But on the bottom image, I see only 2 separate color blocks, divided slightly above the middle on the left side...
+1 - exactly what I see (once I change to my external samsung monitor vs. built in laptop screen... easiest to see when viewed from an angle strangely enough....
07-11-2015, 11:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Banding can be caused by processing software. I suspect the white background may be blown, not a problem, but some facet of the processing software might be trying to do something like reconstruct colors, or correcting in some way, and giving this effect.

It is caused when the software doesn't have enough information and the calculations overflow. A higher bit value or different color space, or some other tricks like adding grain changes the equations enough to get rid of it. Google your processing software and banding.
07-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Banding can be caused by processing software. I suspect the white background may be blown, not a problem, but some facet of the processing software might be trying to do something like reconstruct colors, or correcting in some way, and giving this effect.

It is caused when the software doesn't have enough information and the calculations overflow. A higher bit value or different color space, or some other tricks like adding grain changes the equations enough to get rid of it. Google your processing software and banding.
These are SOOC JPEG. Could it be caused by in-camera processing?
07-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #23
Pentaxian

These are SOOC JPEG. Could it be caused by in-camera processing?
I doubt it unless jpeg quality is set to low. But maybe.

07-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Interesting monitor test.
I don't see any banding at all on either image unless I apply a HUGE amount of sharpening to the images and use a huge radius.
07-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Interesting monitor test.
I don't see any banding at all on either image unless I apply a HUGE amount of sharpening to the images and use a huge radius.
I *really* hope it's a monitor issue and not a sensor/lens issue.
07-11-2015, 03:51 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Failing SD cards cause weird artifacts. Usually more obvious, but with a white background...
07-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #27
Pentaxian

You see it in the original and not just on the forum right?
07-11-2015, 05:16 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I *really* hope it's a monitor issue and not a sensor/lens issue.
You should be able to isolate the cause. Try another lens, point it at a white wall or the sky (or something bland), shoot a few shots under daylight, have a look at the images. Sharpen them up or view them as negatives - see if the issue is still there.
07-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So I compared the forum image with the same pic at original resolution and size. I uploaded it to imgur to ensure no funky forum compression.

http://i.imgur.com/JyMt2XH.jpg?1

The forum image is on the left and you can see the banding pretty clearly.
07-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #30
Pentaxian

So I compared the forum image with the same pic at original resolution and size. I uploaded it to imgur to ensure no funky forum compression.

http://i.imgur.com/JyMt2XH.jpg?1

The forum image is on the left and you can see the banding pretty clearly.
Along more typical compression artifacts up in the corner. Well, if they are not in the original, then they are a compression thing...