Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-3 II Live View Metering Bug (was: K-3 II + Manual Lens + Live View + Green Btn...)

OK, this has me stumped.

I'm using my K-3 II with a manual K-mount lens (specifically a Cosina 55/1.2 -- no AF, no A pin). When in Live View the green button doesn't seem to work to set exposure.

So I'm in M mode, of course. And with Live View turned off, I can hold the camera up to my eye, point it at dark and light things, and when I press the green button I can hear the aperture mechanism actuate and the shutter speed changes appropriately.

In Live View, I point the camera around at light and dark objects, and when I press the green button I can hear the aperture mechanism actuate, the screen blinks momentarily, but the shutter speed never changes.

Am I the one doing something wrong here? Can someone else check this out?

Green button works normally in M mode with modern (FA) lenses, as expected.

Last edited by Quicksand; 07-14-2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: changed title for better visibility
07-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #2

Don't have the II just the K3.

With 50mm 1.4 A lens, both Live View and viewfinder view green button works to set shutter speed using Aperture ring. As too does my 28mm M lens.

C Menu 27 "Using Aperture Ring" = 2 enabled

May help
07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by View Quote
C Menu 27 "Using Aperture Ring" = 2 enabled

May help
Thanks for giving it a shot - but that's set, or I wouldn't be able to use this lens at all because I think it locks out the shutter button otherwise.

Is there anyone with a II and a manual lens who could try it? I'm thinking it's possibly a bug at this point.
07-13-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hi Quicksand,

I've got the II and noticed the same behaviour - I'm new to Pentax and assumed that it was operating correctly, I haven't yet found out a way of resolving it.

07-13-2015, 05:41 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried using the dof preview button?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This sounds similar to the problem a lot of people had with extension tubes after the K-5 came out. The mount has to be shorted for the camera to register a lens and actually stop down the aperture for the exposure. Try putting a piece of tin-foil between the lens and mount when you screw on the lens.
07-13-2015, 07:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely use the green button so I had not noticed this but I just tried it on my K3ii and there is no adjustment when I pressed the green button in live view. Preview will show darkening or lightening if i change the aperture but the exposure is not altered. Exposure is adjusted as expected in the viewfinder.

07-13-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

Does it expose correctly (or close to it) when you take the photo?
07-13-2015, 11:55 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
This sounds similar to the problem a lot of people had with extension tubes after the K-5 came out. The mount has to be shorted for the camera to register a lens and actually stop down the aperture for the exposure. Try putting a piece of tin-foil between the lens and mount when you screw on the lens.
I'll go along with this. Took lens off and metered OK through view finder adjusting speed. No speed adjustment with Live View. DoF metered through View Finder +/- but didn't adjust speed. Live View darkened screen, no speed adjustment.
07-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have also tried with a Revuenon M 50mm and in live-view it doesn't adjusted the shutter speed. But I have tried also with Pentax FA 50mm and with this lens it did adjusted the shutter speed, in both cases.
07-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OvidiuRoSb Quote
I have also tried with a Revuenon M 50mm and in live-view it doesn't adjusted the shutter speed. But I have tried also with Pentax FA 50mm and with this lens it did adjusted the shutter speed, in both cases.
Exactly my experience. I'm still leaning toward firmware bug.

If it were a problem with the contacts and lens mount conductivity then I doubt it would work in one mode (viewfinder) and not the other (LV).

M-mode green button metering works fine on my K-01 with the same lens, incidentally.

EDIT: And I just checked, in Live View mode it does stop down -- I see the iris close down briefly -- but it just doesn't change the exposure. And the DOF preview options (optical and digital) both seem to work properly.

Last edited by Quicksand; 07-13-2015 at 09:42 PM.
07-13-2015, 10:11 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I'm still leaning toward firmware bug.

If it were a problem with the contacts and lens mount conductivity then I doubt it would work in one mode (viewfinder) and not the other (LV).
Or a hardware problem.

Is your K-3II within the range of serial numbers in the recall?

Steve
07-13-2015, 11:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Or a hardware problem.

Is your K-3II within the range of serial numbers in the recall?

Steve
My K-3II is on that list, but without experiencing the power switch problem. I don't think this issue is related, but we can find out from a K-3II owner which is not on the list.
07-14-2015, 01:37 AM   #14
Forum Member

My K3ii is also on the serial number list and also without the power switch problem - it might well be a firmware feature/failure - it doesn't feel like hardware fault.
07-14-2015, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update to my earlier post. I have an K-3ii which is within the suspect range. I tried the LV Green BUtton again this morning in M mode and it works as expected when the A setting is selected on the aperture ring. However, when the A setting is not selected it does not change the metering and Preview flashes a brighter exposure briefly. I tried same settings and lens on my K-3 and it functioned as expected. I got the same behavior with the Samyang 85 1.4 and the Pentax FA 77 1.8 limited. Both have aperture rings so I could test with and without the A setting. All tests were done in M mode with manual focusing set on the camera. So it looks like OPs experience extends to other K-3iis. The problem will only appear with lenses not having A settings on the aperture, which is a lot of older lenses. Work around would be to meter in the viewfinder with Green button and focus with LV. I have not tested this.