Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep at them. Reply as they suggest asking them to reread he original email (attach it). Also add that experienced Pentax users you have contacted have confirmed that the feature is not working as described or as it does on the K-3 and other Pentax cameras. Be polite but firm. The people assigned to answer these emails tend to skim the questions and send out the most appropriate canned answer. A request for them to read more carefully may get the result you want. Perhaps you want to refer them to this thread.

07-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #32
Forum Member

Mikesul: I did all that.

Just wondering: did anybody else contact support with this issue? Maybe US support will have different answer?
07-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
For anyone waiting to see Ricoh UK response, here it is:

Thank you for contacting Ricoh Imaging.
In answer to your question about inability to use Green button for adjusting exposure in M mode when the aperture ring not set to A, we would like to advise you to check the following article which explaines how to use manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
We hope this article is helpful in your case. If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center.

Sincerely,
Ricoh Imaging Technical Support

No comments
Hahahahahahaha. Thanks for passing that along.
07-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
This is clearly a case of the people reading the mail not bothering to figure out what you are really talking about. I got a similar answer regarding a malfunction in a printer at my workplace recently (fortunately, that issue can be worked around, at least for the time being). They're giving you the brush off. They assume you don't know what you're doing, and treat your email accordingly. They can't seem to imagine that you might be referring to an actual bug, issue, or equipment malfunction. When they get enough reports, they will eventually figure it out, but even with persistence, they won't pay that much attention to one complaint, unless or until just the right person sees it and actually tests it out.

Sometimes you can get better results for this sort of thing by reporting it as a firmware bug rather than asking questions about it, but not necessarily.

Last edited by CFWhitman; 07-28-2015 at 04:27 AM.
11-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this discussion came up as an example of a K-3II bug and I decided to review it as a result. I also did a little research on my K-3 to see if I could replicate on that model. Here are a few bullet points:
  • As noted in a comment above, there are anomalies regarding non-conductive base lenses and and current-model Pentax dSLRs
  • I have confirmed on my K-3 that the green button works as expected for M mode in both live view and viewfinder mode with most lenses on my shelf (M, A, FA, and DA series) and for both body and aperture-ring iris control
  • The sole exceptions are lenses with painted (non-conductive) bases. With those lenses the green button will adjust shutter speed in viewfinder mode, but not live view. Behavior is as described by the OP.
  • With the painted base lenses, shorting the data pin on the mount to the mount face with a bit of aluminum foil resulted in the same (appropriate) behavior as with the conductive base lenses.
  • It is unclear whether the Cosina 55/1.2 in the original post has a painted or unpainted base. Both types have been photographed in K-mount in "the wild".
The conclusion I can make is that the K-3 behavior is the same as with the K-5 and other recent models. This is a known anomaly of several years running and appears to be a "known, won't fix" corner case in the eyes of Ricoh. Whether it is the same problem as that described by the OP and others on this thread depends heavily on whether the lenses in question have conductive bases.

Steve
11-01-2015, 06:09 PM   #36
KDD
Veteran Member

Switch AF to MF. Go ahead green button.
11-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
Switch AF to MF. Go ahead green button.
Changing from AF to MF makes no difference with my K-3.

Steve

11-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The conclusion I can make is that the K-3 behavior is the same as with the K-5 and other recent models. This is a known anomaly of several years running and appears to be a "known, won't fix" corner case in the eyes of Ricoh. Whether it is the same problem as that described by the OP and others on this thread depends heavily on whether the lenses in question have conductive bases.
Resurrect away! I still have an interest in seeing this fixed. (Not that it ever will be, but hey, a guy can hope.)

If you go back and look at the first page of this thread there are several confirmations that this occurs from multiple K-3 II users, and it appears unrelated to whether the lens has a conductive mount.

And the same problem occurs on the K-3 II if you switch an "A" (or later) lens into a non-A aperture setting.

My Cosina, for the record, has a shiny metallic mount.
11-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
And the same problem occurs on the K-3 II if you switch an "A" (or later) lens into a non-A aperture setting.

My Cosina, for the record, has a shiny metallic mount.
Cool! I missed Mikesul's comment where he did both on/off "A", otherwise I would not have bothered. While the K-3 behavior is an inconvenience with a work-around, the K-3II behavior as you and Mike have described is much more serious, IMHO. With any luck Ricoh will follow up on this one and maybe even fix the K-3 version of the problem as well.

Steve
11-03-2015, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool! I missed Mikesul's comment where he did both on/off "A", otherwise I would not have bothered.
Oh, no worries. This is probably a fairly minor corner case too, at least as far as Ricoh is concerned. But with my K-01 I became somewhat (overly?) reliant upon focus peaking for getting precise focus using manual lenses. And it's a shame that on the K-3 II I can't easily get automatic exposure via stop-down metering while also using focus peaking.
11-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm. I have an old 135 all manual, no A, and on my K-50 once I hit the green button in either EVF or Live View it not only sets shutter speed but will continuously update shutter speed depending on what I point it at. And it will would in Aperture Priority mode too. Is that a symptom of no electrical contact? kinda works for me. Same lens on my new K-3II also doesn't work to set shutter speed in Live View though.
02-26-2016, 12:45 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Reviving thread:

Testing my K-3II with several lenses yielded these results-

1.) FA Lens set to a physical aperture on ring: Green button works fine in LV.
2.) M 28 f/2.8: Green button works in LV.
3.) Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with pentax m42 to k adapter: Green button does NOT function in LV.

This leads me to believe that yes, not having electrical contact on the K-3II does create this issue in live view with some lenses, and probably most if not all M42 or older lenses. I have a K-50 as well. Green button in Live View works with all lenses regardless of contact or not. However on the K-50 and more than likely the K-30 as well, the older M42 lenses will not meter with green button in viewfinder mode, which is the opposite effect from the K-3II.

I would like to see if the K-30 behaves like the K-50, or like the K-3II. This would be quite interesting. Especially if someone made a listing of the quirks for each camera's green button behavior as some form of spreadsheet layout with an X under corresponding behavior box. Camera name: Live View Works: Viewfinder mode works. Put x under both if both work.
02-26-2016, 02:04 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get the same results as Auzzie-Phoenix with a manual bayonet lens on the K-3II - I just tried my old SMC-M40/2.8 (the only one to hand) and in manual mode and using live view, the green button works to set the shutter speed at all apertures tested (f4 -> f11). AF switch set to on.
08-24-2016, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #44
Forum Member

Seems to be fixed with new firmware. Mine now works like it should.