Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #16
HavelockV

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The service advisory should apply worldwide. Hopefully UK repairs go smoother than those in the US!

If you refer to the local US-American Service advisory quoted in this forum: not at all. It is anything but global.

The local German message is quite different (would be fun to check the French and Spanish Versions):
  1. They do not actively recall any or all units, they just offer servicing for free as the bug is quite exotic (on all local Pentax Forums - and they combined have more Pentaxians than this forum here - there seems to be just one single instance).
  2. This servicing is explicitly not only offered for the first two years, but offered for the full lifetime of the camera, so if you're hit in three years they'll fix it in three years for free. This makes sending it in really not a top priority for all happy users.
  3. As an excuse for the effort to send it in, buyers will receive a free FluCard with the camera (which you can sell for about 80 EUR aftermarket here), so that's quite a good deal.
  4. The bug is described much more precisely (than your local version) to happen mostly when the camera has been without battery for alonger time and then is being started again using a fully charged battery. This obviously for most users is a scenario which only applies to the box shipped new. 100% of users I know leave a battery in the body at all times unless they only have one and then only for a couple of hours when they charge the battery.
As an aside: As far as informal infos go, the repair center fixes the thing in camera, so obviously from a couple of days ago the real world will contain K-3 II units in the risky serial number range which have been serviced and are all fine now. They are in no case swapping out complete bodies.

Mine is in the affected number range, but I do feel no need to fix a perfectly running system. Maybe I'll have it checked this or next winter, when I use it less.

07-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HavelockV Quote
If you refer to the local US-American Service advisory quoted in this forum: not at all. It is anything but global.

The local German message is quite different (would be fun to check the French and Spanish Versions):
  1. They do not actively recall any or all units, they just offer servicing for free as the bug is quite exotic (on all local Pentax Forums - and they combined have more Pentaxians than this forum here - there seems to be just one single instance).
  2. This servicing is explicitly not only offered for the first two years, but offered for the full lifetime of the camera, so if you're hit in three years they'll fix it in three years for free. This makes sending it in really not a top priority for all happy users.
  3. As an excuse for the effort to send it in, buyers will receive a free FluCard with the camera (which you can sell for about 80 EUR aftermarket here), so that's quite a good deal.
  4. The bug is described much more precisely (than your local version) to happen mostly when the camera has been without battery for alonger time and then is being started again using a fully charged battery. This obviously for most users is a scenario which only applies to the box shipped new. 100% of users I know leave a battery in the body at all times unless they only have one and then only for a couple of hours when they charge the battery.
As an aside: As far as informal infos go, the repair center fixes the thing in camera, so obviously from a couple of days ago the real world will contain K-3 II units in the risky serial number range which have been serviced and are all fine now. They are in no case swapping out complete bodies.

Mine is in the affected number range, but I do feel no need to fix a perfectly running system. Maybe I'll have it checked this or next winter, when I use it less.
Thanks for this information. The explanation of the bug is most helpful.
07-14-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster

That's A LOT better than the response when I called Ricoh USA and asked and the dorfus said "If it were my camera I'd send it in..." basically telling me they ALL needed to be serviced or inspected. SO I sent it back to AMAZON in the return window.

If Pentax/Ricoh USA had said what you say the German reps said, I would have kept it.
07-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They do not actively recall any or all units, they just offer servicing for free as the bug is quite exotic (on all local Pentax Forums - and they combined have more Pentaxians than this forum here - there seems to be just one single instance).
Yup I don't think there was a recall anywhere, just a service advisory.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Mine is also in the affected number range but it works just fine. it is with me about a week..no need for sending it back. i bought it from amazon and it will cost me more$$ because i live in egypt.
07-14-2015, 03:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogonastring Quote
I've asked this elsewhere but perhaps it's better here - my SN is in the affected range, but I haven't experienced the power-off issue. Should I do anything?
I'd say better be safe than sorry and send it in & get a newer one, because it may decide to start acting up later on down the road and by that time Ricoh may not be doing the service anymore.
07-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #22

Pentax Australia said, If there is a problem send it in they will "fix it". No mention of a replacement. If there is no problem, and your in the affected serial range, you can send it in if you want to have it "checked" But you don't have to send it now. They will check/fix it any time within the 12 month warranty period.
Mine is working fine. So I've decided not to send it in at this time. I did ask Pentax Australia if they would give an extended warranty for this problem, so I wouldn't have to send it in just to be "checked" as mine didn't have the problem, but to cover me in case this problem arose after the 12 month warranty period. They wouldn't give extended warranty on this problem.

So I'll wait, see what happens with my camera over the next month or so.

Edit: It is an eye opener as to the different responses, options, from Pentax around the world. You would think. Ricoh/Pentax would have/give the same advice/options world wide from the distributors/service centres. Very poor world wide customer service Pentax/Ricoh.

Last edited by Craig66; 07-14-2015 at 06:54 PM.
07-15-2015, 01:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Craig66 Quote
They wouldn't give extended warranty on this problem.
This position is actually illegal in Australia if you were willing to push the point beyond the warranty period. You are entitled to defect remedy indefinitely against the supplier and they in turn have three years from the lodgement of your claim to claim remedy from the manufacturer. As a defect has been defined and acknowledged by the manufacturer, Australian law is crystal clear for the K-3ii example. This is different to say a K-3ii developing a fault outside the warranty period that could be legitimately contested as fair wear and tear, such as a failed dial, switch or circuit board.

The section in italics is from the ACCC website pertaining to guidance for suppliers to consumers:

Don’t mislead consumers about their rights
•You must not tell customers they should approach the manufacturer or importer of the good for assistance – the seller must deal with the problem when approached.
•You must not suggest that their consumer guarantees are limited to any warranty period – the consumer guarantees apply regardless of any warranties in place.
•Do not display ‘No refunds on sale items’ signs.

A reasonable person, (IMO) would ensure the body is sent in for checking within the warranty period, but would not hesitate in seeking remedy outside the warranty period for instances of the same defect returning thereafter.
07-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #24
HavelockV

For convenience this is the Google translated German message:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF...html&edit-text=

I do have to say, I couldn't imagine a better (reasonable) response to an (albeit small) issue than the above. It was issued quickly, I don't have to worry about warranty periods and there is quite some monetary compensation offered.
Best would be if all Pentax market units would adopt this approach. Basically as ever it all comes down to the quality of local sales / marketing management.
07-15-2015, 02:44 AM   #25
Forum Member

Interesting, the German response is reasoned, sensible and clear!

This is the response I got from Ricoh UK -

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Ricoh Imaging.

If the serial number of your K-3II camera falls into the affected serial number range we strongly recommend you to contact our service center in the UK and book your camera in for inspection (free of charge) and service (if needed, also free of charge).
Please find the contact details of our service center in the UK at:
Repair Process - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center.

Sincerely,

Ricoh Imaging Technical Support
Well, that just throws a cat among the pigeons! Not expecting service to be a speedy process, I'll wait until after my upcoming holiday to post the camera back to them; in the mean time I'll just have to hope that it remains problem-free.

Edit 2; I've just scoured all the various Ricoh Europe spin-off sites, and the Germans are the only ones being offered a free Flu-card. Those lucky Germans!

Last edited by Frogonastring; 07-15-2015 at 03:08 AM.