Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2015, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Buying a new K3 II, what fun!

So B&H customer service says they have no idea what the SN's of the K3II stock they have on hand, but they sell a lot of them and you will probably get a recent (whatever that means) one if you order one now.

Hello, it was a recall. Is B&H really going to continue to sell bodies that need to go to service for inspection immediately upon receipt by the customer. That doesn't make sense at all. Pentax didn't contact them and request the current stock back so they could inspect them before selling them to customers? I'm sure they will sort that out, but I'm not ordering from B&H until I hear it's the 6206661 or higher SN's.

Amazon says they are out of stock until July 21st, so that's promising. Might go ahead and order one from them and see what # comes up. Free no questions asked returns if it's not the right number...

I hope the 2 year extended warranty I bought 2 weeks ago will apply to a camera I receive 2 weeks from now. LOL. It would really suck to have to explain 2 years from now that I had to return 2 K3II bodies because of the recall and that's why I have a warranty older than the camera.

The joys of being a Pentax shooter.

07-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You've got to contact Ricoh to get a properly working copy of the K-3II so that you can evaluate it.
07-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
So B&H customer service says they have no idea what the SN's of the K3II stock they have on hand, but they sell a lot of them and you will probably get a recent (whatever that means) one if you order one now.

Hello, it was a recall. Is B&H really going to continue to sell bodies that need to go to service for inspection immediately upon receipt by the customer. That doesn't make sense at all. Pentax didn't contact them and request the current stock back so they could inspect them before selling them to customers? I'm sure they will sort that out, but I'm not ordering from B&H until I hear it's the 6206661 or higher SN's.

Amazon says they are out of stock until July 21st, so that's promising. Might go ahead and order one from them and see what # comes up. Free no questions asked returns if it's not the right number...

I hope the 2 year extended warranty I bought 2 weeks ago will apply to a camera I receive 2 weeks from now. LOL. It would really suck to have to explain 2 years from now that I had to return 2 K3II bodies because of the recall and that's why I have a warranty older than the camera.

The joys of being a Pentax shooter.
Please give me a hint. I bought my copy of K3II 3 weeks ago. What is wrong with the bodys below SN6206661
07-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

07-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pete_XL Quote
Please give me a hint. I bought my copy of K3II 3 weeks ago. What is wrong with the bodys below SN6206661
the issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/297794-k-3-ii-refusing-shut-down.html

and the official statement from Ricoh where you can check if your camera is on the black list:
Pentax K-3 II Service Advisory - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com
07-14-2015, 01:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Here ► Notice: Power-Off Issue with the PENTAX K-3 II Digital SLR Camera?RICOH IMAGING
07-14-2015, 02:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

I've asked this elsewhere but perhaps it's better here - my SN is in the affected range, but I haven't experienced the power-off issue. Should I do anything?

07-14-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

i would send it. We don't know for how long they will offer the servicing and inspection...
07-14-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

I'm in the UK so it might be different over here; I've reached out to Ricoh UK for comment on what they advise me to do.
07-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, I have a hit!
I will contact servive in Germany. Thank you all for the info.
07-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The service advisory should apply worldwide. Hopefully UK repairs go smoother than those in the US!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Regarding the OP's experience with B&H. I spoke to them when the advisory came out and they said that they were returning all of their stock and did not know when they would receive replacements. I believe another forum poster received similar information from them. OP may have gotten a poor rep at B&H who had not checked the information. The one I spoke to checked with a supervisor.
07-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Regarding the OP's experience with B&H. I spoke to them when the advisory came out and they said that they were returning all of their stock and did not know when they would receive replacements. I believe another forum poster received similar information from them. OP may have gotten a poor rep at B&H who had not checked the information. The one I spoke to checked with a supervisor.

Most probably. This is what I got...

"Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Unfortunately we do not have access to our inventory to inspect things like a serial number of the items we carry. We do sell quite a bit of inventory so our inventory doesn't sit in our warehouse for long. There's a very good chance you'll be getting the latest and greatest version of the product you're looking for but if for any reason you're unhappy with what you receive simply contact our customer service department to set up an exchange or refund within 30 days of your purchase.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Thank you for choosing B&H."
07-14-2015, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes that looks like a standardized, pushbutton, boilerplate response.
07-14-2015, 11:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Amazon has them back in stock as well at the number they were at when the recall was announced. (Last night Amazon said out of stock until July 20th.)

So I guess Pentax said to the big retailers, we don't want them back, just flog them and let the customer send them in.

On another front, all K3II sales in the US have stopped....

But I'm going to call Pentax and see if they can tell me who and when somebody might be selling a SN higher than 6206660 K3II and see what they to say.