Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2015, 03:41 AM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Having never had a grip and being used to holding cameras vertically a certain way I'm not sure I will get used to that extra button. Having both batteries on me is easy. Not sure I care if I have to cycle one out and swap one it. The weight and bulk on the other hand - that's a question for me.

I was the same, never used a grip, in fact, I was thinking of just selling it. Decided to give it a try though since double battery capacity sounded like I good idea. It took a few days to get used to it, but now my beloved K-30 without a grip doesn't feel quite right anymore. You'll get used to the extra weight / bulk, and once you do you'll never look back!

A word of advice.... turn the grip off when not using it, it's easy to accidentally spin one of the wheels, unintentionally changing your settings and leaving you wondering why your pics are coming out looking like crap.

07-15-2015, 03:48 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About freakin' time
I also rarely use the grip. In fact never now. I would much rather carry two spare batteries. The only time I would consider it was on a long trip away from power points where I could carry piles of AA's.
07-15-2015, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
About freakin' time
I also rarely use the grip. In fact never now. I would much rather carry two spare batteries. The only time I would consider it was on a long trip away from power points where I could carry piles of AA's.
Are you saying I should have jumped onto the K3 bandwagon a long time ago Sandy? If so but thank you. I think that means that it will be a good tool for me which makes me think there's hope for me. LOL.
05-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Having never had a grip and being used to holding cameras vertically a certain way I'm not sure I will get used to that extra button. Having both batteries on me is easy. Not sure I care if I have to cycle one out and swap one it. The weight and bulk on the other hand - that's a question for me.
Congratulations Uncle Vanya!! You will absolutely love the K3! I'm amazed at how much you can crop, and still have stunning photos! I have a grip on my K10D, but for me, the added weight and bulk discouraged me from getting one for my K3. Much easier in my case, just to swap batteries out.

Can't wait to see how you like it!

05-22-2016, 05:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

As of this Friday I should have a nice shiny new K3 with grip and flucard.

A few minor questions:
1) The grip does not come with the required spare Li-Ion battery does it?
2) How is the battery life of a single (no-grip) battery K3 vs. a K50?
3) Do you find the flucard useful or just a gimmick?
I too have made the K3 plunge, I purchased a used one along with a battery grip from the market place
05-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have two K3s and a K50. Going to sell the K50 but all three are really great. The K3 feels tons more premium and is much quieter and a little faster to focus. I had to buy the second K3 for my backup because the layout is a little different on the K50. I find that it's fairly easy to get 700 shots on a fully charged battery. The grip for me is a new addition and I am liking it. It seems to help balance things out when I have my 50-135 mounted. It is pretty difficult to get off and you have to take it off to get to the camera battery. I'd say grip wise the hardest adjustment is where the viewfinder is located in portrait mode. It's very low in portrait orientation.