Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Disable JPEG capture

I would have thought this would be a simple thing to do, or at least find out how to do. But I can't find it.

Simply, how do you disable the JPEG capture in the K3 so that it only writes the RAW files?

Thanks!

07-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Turn the camera on. Hit the menu button. The second option in menu 1 (Image Capture Settings). Set it to RAW/DNG (or PEF) instead of RAW+.

You can also do it by hitting Info, use the 4 way to go to the setting at the bottom (second from left), and use the rear edial to set it to RAW.

If you are using 2 SD cards you can set it to save RAW to one and JPEG to the second in the Info control panel too.
07-14-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Turn the camera on. Hit the menu button. The second option in menu 1 (Image Capture Settings). Set it to RAW/DNG (or PEF) instead of RAW+.

You can also do it by hitting Info, use the 4 way to go to the setting at the bottom (second from left), and use the rear edial to set it to RAW.

If you are using 2 SD cards you can set it to save RAW to one and JPEG to the second in the Info control panel too.
Ah yes. Thanks. Hence why it is called "RAW+"!

Now changed on my K3 and Q7. Thanks.
07-14-2015, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I only shoot using RAW but I am finding that the use of jpeg format with RAW+ is kind of handy to review images. I can sort through the ones I want to develop really quickly... But to each his or her own.

Then again I don't shoot massive amounts of photos.

07-14-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gullwing Quote
I would have thought this would be a simple thing to do, or at least find out how to do. But I can't find it.

Simply, how do you disable the JPEG capture in the K3 so that it only writes the RAW files?

Thanks!
You can also change the file format quickly through the control panel (info button). The setting is in the bottom row.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
I only shoot using RAW but I am finding that the use of jpeg format with RAW+ is kind of handy to review images. I can sort through the ones I want to develop really quickly... But to each his or her own.
You don't need RAW+ because RAW has an embedded JPG anyway (it's what you see on the camera LCD and where the EXIF is held). You can review for deletion etc using FASTSTONE which loads the embedded JPG first for fast viewing. No point in using additional space for an extra JPG when it's not necessary.
07-14-2015, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You don't need RAW+ because RAW has an embedded JPG anyway (it's what you see on the camera LCD and where the EXIF is held). You can review for deletion etc using FASTSTONE which loads the embedded JPG first for fast viewing. No point in using additional space for an extra JPG when it's not necessary.
I use FastStone, and I would disagree. Segregating RAWs from small JPEGs on the two cards allows quick set up of two file folders on the computer. I often delete RAWs of images that won't be processed, but like to have a full history of what was shot. Once on the computer, your converter can be set up to ignore the JPEG album, and both FastStone and the converter operate quicker when these images are separated in the two albums. On a large shoot, you can review the JPEGs in FastStone quickly, find a file number and locate the same file in the RAW converter - which allows the main working area to be kept as large as possible. This system gives me the most efficient workflow, and allows other programs to stay open with other work projects. My Windows computers are both medium to medium-fast in overall speed (emphasis on RAM utility, not a gaming set up) - about 2 years old.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 07-15-2015 at 04:47 PM.
07-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think the rational for RAW+ is to provide the means for fast publication w/o access to a RAW convertor.

Steve
07-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

but then you still have to develop the raw, while with raw+jpeg the jpeg produced by the camera might be good enough. The extracted one on the other hand is pretty much useless except for the preview on the camera screen.
07-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
but then you still have to develop the raw, while with raw+jpeg the jpeg produced by the camera might be good enough. The extracted one on the other hand is pretty much useless except for the preview on the camera screen.
The embedded JPG is identical to the JPEG as the RAW+ in every way. Full res and same camera processing.
You only choose to develop the RAW if the embedded JPG shows that the photo is worth more work.
I posted this suggestion and have continued to use this method for many years because I do know what I'm talking about here.
The only camera I've come across where it is in fact useless is the GR. It's preview JPG is very small, not the full res.

@stevebrot
There's not much faster than viewing in FASTSTONE, press Ctrl+S to save out (you can even save at a low res for the web) then publish to the web.
I do it all the time...

---------- Post added 07-15-15 at 01:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
[OT:] Yay !!! It's nice to hear of someone else using FastStone (I assume the FastStone Image Viewer, which is my most frequently used image software).
Me too. It's exceedingly useful and pretty powerful once you get to know it in depth. Most people don't.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-14-2015 at 08:37 PM.
07-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The extracted one on the other hand is pretty much useless except for the preview on the camera screen.
What he said.

Steve
07-15-2015, 03:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said.

Steve
Codswallop
07-15-2015, 04:08 AM   #13

The embedded JPG is identical to the JPEG as the RAW+ in every way. Full res and same camera processing.
it is not.

[MakerNotes] PreviewImageSize : 720x480

exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w preview0055.jpg IMGP0055.DNG

file IMGP0055preview0055.jpg
IMGP0055preview0055.jpg: JPEG image data, baseline, precision 8, 720x480, frames 3

compared with:

file IMGP0055.JPG
IMGP0055.JPG: JPEG image data, Exif standard: [TIFF image data, little-endian, direntries=14, manufacturer=RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. , model=PENTAX K-3 , orientation=upper-left, xresolution=234, yresolution=242, resolutionunit=2, software=PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.11 , datetime=2014:12:18 17:27:30], baseline, precision 8, 6016x4000, frames 3
07-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Codswallop
Cool word! Same back at ya!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-15-2015 at 12:38 PM.
07-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

it is not.

[MakerNotes] PreviewImageSize : 720x480

exiftool -b -PreviewImage -w preview0055.jpg IMGP0055.DNG

file IMGP0055preview0055.jpg
IMGP0055preview0055.jpg: JPEG image data, baseline, precision 8, 720x480, frames 3

compared with:

file IMGP0055.JPG
IMGP0055.JPG: JPEG image data, Exif standard: [TIFF image data, little-endian, direntries=14, manufacturer=RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. , model=PENTAX K-3 , orientation=upper-left, xresolution=234, yresolution=242, resolutionunit=2, software=PENTAX K-3 Ver. 1.11 , datetime=2014:12:18 17:27:30], baseline, precision 8, 6016x4000, frames 3
It is..
You must think I am a complete idiot if you imagine for one moment that I would explain about this useful technique and tell you that I have been using this for many years if all I was getting was a very small image out of the RAW files???? I have said that the embeded JPG is exactly the same res as the RAW because as a point of actual fact.. It is!!
EXIF tool may be reading something innacurately/differently to FASTSTONE, because I have K-3 DNG files here where the embedded JPEG is exactly the same res as the RAW and the same as you get if you shot RAW+. You might also like to try InstantJPEGfromRAW (free) - you'll get the exact same result as Faststone. Professionals use this tool for fast deployment of JPG from their RAW.
BTW: I do see in my EXIF reader 'FaceDetectFrameSize 720 480' - which has nothing to do with the actual embedded JPEG size.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 07-15-2015 at 02:10 PM.