Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5II grip on K3II stopped working??

Have been using my K5II grip on the K3II (just filed down one pin so it fits in the K3II). Has worked fine(for 2 weeks) until today when I used without battery, now almost no response,battery does not show up in menu selection for which battery to use.If I hold the AEL button down for 20 sec it sometimes works,shutter release & other buttons dead. Can't find out as was working perfect
Have reset camera,pulled battery for 30 sec..no luck Grip works fine on my K5II still
...Any ideas

Thanks

07-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Banned

So, to be sure I am understanding this correctly;
-K5II Grip
-K3II Body
-Grip on K3II worked well for two weeks
-Suddenly it stopped working
-Grip still works when put back on the K5II
Correct so far? Does the K3II still work the way it should without the grip attached?
07-16-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I suppose there must be an underlying (power-related) reason for why the K-3 uses the BG-5 and not the BG-4. Or maybe it's related to the bug in the K-3 II service advisory...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Have been using my K5II grip on the K3II (just filed down one pin so it fits in the K3II)... Grip works fine on my K5II still

Thanks
I'm surprised it works on the K5ii now that you filed off a pin. Odd.

07-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm surprised it works on the K5ii now that you filed off a pin. Odd.
I believe the pin that needs filed off is a registration pin, not data. Just to make it not fit on the newer bodies. I could be wrong though.......
07-17-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I assumed it was just so people would have to buy new grips. They kept the same one for at least 3 body upgrades, which is 2 more than most canikons probably do.

It was a major factor in my waiting so long to get a K3 though. I can't use the body without the grip unless it's a super lightweight lens. My hands are too big and my pinky finger ends up floating in space, which becomes surprisingly painful after a while if the lens is heavy.
07-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you want an economical way to put a grip on the K-3II, there are now third-party clone K-3 grips available on eBay for very little $$ ... It doesn't seem worth the trouble trying to get a K-5 grip to work.

07-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you want an economical way to put a grip on the K-3II, there are now third-party clone K-3 grips available on eBay for very little $$ ... It doesn't seem worth the trouble trying to get a K-5 grip to work.
I have seen mixed reviews - no weather resistance claims either but I tend to agree. One brand was around $40.
07-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That being said, there's a small chance that it could be an issue where a proper k-3 grip won't work either, lol. Any way for you to borrow one to test?
07-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the pin was only 1mm too large to fit in the K3II ,no power--just pin
playing around more I found that when screwed in the 20 odd contact pins were not tight enough,if i rocked it a bit it can work again,so I put some 2mm tape opposite the 20 pin side,and work again..sometimes the contacts need to be very tight(and they are clean) all buttons work like on K5II
it does not fit perfect,as a gap can be seen,but well enough for support for the 150-450 lens
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-N9005  Photo 

Last edited by Shanti; 07-17-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: forgot pic
07-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh. I think we all assumed you meant one of the gold contact pins, not one of the pegs that keeps the grip in the correct position so all the pins line up.