Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 05:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thinking about a K-3

I've had a K-30 for just about three years now (K-r before that) and it's been a fantastic camera. It's still working great and truthfully I suppose I don't really NEED a new camera. But with K-3 prices starting to fall with the release of the K-3ii, I'm seriously considering getting a K-3.

Why? Well, the idea of having better AF is enticing for sure. Can anyone reassure me that I would see a noticeable improvement in AF coming from the K-30?

Also, the better customizability, buttons, build - all of those are nice. Of course, the higher resolution is nice for larger prints or cropping. I just feel like it's time for me to graduate to the higher level camera.

My concerns are primarily regarding the size and weight. I'm a woman and my hands are kind of small. The K-30 fits me perfectly. i love the deep grip. It feels so secure in my hands. Will I have trouble holding and handling the K-3?

My other concern was regarding reports of not so great high ISO performance. However, I downloaded some high ISO RAW files last night and messed with them in Lightroom. I was blown away. Both 3200 and 6400 looked darned good to me. Am I missing something? Are those test shots deceptive? Maybe shots taken in less than stellar conditions exhibit much more noise. However, judging from the Imaging Resource studio test photos and a couple others I found elsewhere, I really thought the K-3 performed quite well. It really made me wonder why I was reading so much negativity about this aspect of the camera.

I think basically I am just looking for someone to talk me into doing this. LOL

07-17-2015, 05:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stop thinking and just do it.
07-17-2015, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know there was a definite step up from the K5. Go for it.
07-17-2015, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I just got a K 3 yesterday, it's a great camera ^^ the sharpness, focus... are superb ! and what I like the most is the Flash power control, you can control the flash power up to 1/128th on camera ^^ amazing !!
You will not regret that purchase ^^

07-17-2015, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I can relate, I even have 2 K-30's at the moment. I really like the output and size and weight of this camera.

And yes, the grip is so deep which is very good for my hands.
07-17-2015, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I've had a K-30 for just about three years now (K-r before that) and it's been a fantastic camera. It's still working great and truthfully I suppose I don't really NEED a new camera. But with K-3 prices starting to fall with the release of the K-3ii, I'm seriously considering getting a K-3.

Why? Well, the idea of having better AF is enticing for sure. Can anyone reassure me that I would see a noticeable improvement in AF coming from the K-30?

Also, the better customizability, buttons, build - all of those are nice. Of course, the higher resolution is nice for larger prints or cropping. I just feel like it's time for me to graduate to the higher level camera.

My concerns are primarily regarding the size and weight. I'm a woman and my hands are kind of small. The K-30 fits me perfectly. i love the deep grip. It feels so secure in my hands. Will I have trouble holding and handling the K-3?

My other concern was regarding reports of not so great high ISO performance. However, I downloaded some high ISO RAW files last night and messed with them in Lightroom. I was blown away. Both 3200 and 6400 looked darned good to me. Am I missing something? Are those test shots deceptive? Maybe shots taken in less than stellar conditions exhibit much more noise. However, judging from the Imaging Resource studio test photos and a couple others I found elsewhere, I really thought the K-3 performed quite well. It really made me wonder why I was reading so much negativity about this aspect of the camera.

I think basically I am just looking for someone to talk me into doing this. LOL
I don't have the k-30, but I do have the k-5/IIs and k-3. I would say it is definitely a big step up.. go for it. Also I paid more for the k-5 than the k-3.
All of your concerns in the above will be forgotten once you have the k-3 in hand, except perhaps slightly heavier than your k-30, but you can feel it sturdier and a solid camera (probably more balanced with heavy lenses).

The improvement over previously models (ie. k-5/IIs, k-30, k-50 etc.) are almost in every aspect in terms of features and ergonomics (AF, WB, Metering etc.). The ability to crop an image without worrying about losing lots of pixel is super nice.

I honestly don't think that you will be disappointed.
07-17-2015, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, you guys are good! I just ordered one!! Was hoping to get it overnighted from Amazon, but there was no Saturday delivery option. Guess I'll have a long weekend wait until Monday.....

I'm so excited!! :P

07-17-2015, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #8

I started with the Kr, then got the K30 and that was a big step forward. I think the K30 was a very underrated camera, i really loved that camera. I bought the K3 and needed some time to get used to it, but after 6 months i can say it is a great camera. Especially the AF is much better and the body feels so solid. I still learn new things every shooting i do. So if you have the money, just buy one, you won't regret it. Greetings from Holland.
07-17-2015, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

We are really good at telling folks how to spend their money. We take pride in it. Enjoy your purchase. For me the biggest thing with the K-3 is by the time I'm done cropping, I still have a 16 MP or larger file in many cases.

Last edited by normhead; 07-17-2015 at 07:57 AM.
07-17-2015, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I had the k-30 for half a year as my backup camera. Without the battery grip, the k-3 is barely noticeably bigger/heavier than the k-30. It's actually surprisingly small (just like how the k-5 feels in comparison to the k-r).

Also, I haven't used my k-30 for almost half a year since I got it (I just sold it a week ago) because the k-3 just feels that much more responsive, quieter, faster, and better in almost every way.
07-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the feedback. Really looking forward to the camera.

I'm interested in your thoughts on the high ISO thing, though. I think maybe what I liked about the K-3 RAW files I downloaded was the lack of NR smearing at the high ISO's that I'm used to seeing in the K-30 files. The K-3 files just looked very detailed, even at 6400.
07-17-2015, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm interested in your thoughts on the high ISO thing, though.
There is some measure of truth to the "k-3 files show more noise than a k-5 (k-30) file". But it is one of those things that reviewers jump on because they can make a distinguishing statement in their review. In the real world the difference is not important. If you view both files at the same size you will not see any difference. In other words if you downsize the k-3 file to the same size as the k-5 file you cannot tell the difference in the noise level.

What is important is that the k-3 file is larger, and the noise in it is 'finer' and much easier to clean up. A slight addition of NR in Lightroom and the noise is gone without the loss of detail a similar application on the k-5 file would have caused.

I found that using my k-5 Lightroom presets on a k-3 file resulted in an image that was not as good as I expected. I eventually dumped my k-5 presets and started over. This made a dramatic difference. The k-30, k-50, k-5, k-5II all used very similar sensors and I think we all got used to developing for that sensor. The k-3 sensor is a different animal and needs to be treated that way.

My comments are for ISOs in the 100 to 3200 range. I have no experience with anything higher than that, I don't shoot that high. Perhaps someone else can chime in who has used the higher values.
07-17-2015, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #13

I also switched from the K-30 to the K-3. Although it is a bit bigger and heavier, the difference in your hands seems negligible. Aside from from the difference in the image output and menu options, the most immediate difference you'll notice and love is shutter noise. The K-3 is insanely quiet compared to the K-30. I've been very happy with the upgrade.
07-17-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My wife can't use my K3 or my K5 for more than a few minutes unless I remove the grip and use a lightweight lens, but she has carpal tunnel problems. My old Nikon d5100 didn't bother her much, but it was much flimsier and the l lenses I had with it weren't as heavy either.

Between the K3 and K30 bodies, without the grip, they're quite similar in size, but the K3 is about 5 ounces heavier.
This site is really handy for a side-by-side or overlay comparison of camera size:
Compare camera dimensions side by side
Click "Camera 1 in front" to see more directly the difference in sizes.

If you're going to add the grip, though, that's about 30-50% more height on the body and a fair bit of extra weight, especially if you load it up with AA batteries instead of a second pentax battery.
07-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #15

By the way, you've got some great photos on your flickr stream, and that K-3 will make the most of your limited and star lenses.