Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of Focus Shutter Release

A quick question. I have two K3 bodies here on which I have these settings and both do exactly the same.
I have the AF button set to focus with the shutter button focus disabled, AfC center focus on nine zone,
first frame focus priority and action in AFC focus priority. If I deliberately try to take a photo that's out of focus,
it shouldn't release the shutter/curtain, should it? Both mine do. Any thought or words of wisdom?
My thanks in advanced for any comments or suggestions.

Eric.

07-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

somewhere in the settings maybe 10-20 the option should allow for a shot not in focus.....kinda like the aperture thing set to allow for non 'a' lenses
07-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
somewhere in the settings maybe 10-20 the option should allow for a shot not in focus.....kinda like the aperture thing set to allow for non 'a' lenses
That's the thing, It shouldn't trip the shutter when out of focus with those settings, well, that's my understanding.
07-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

ah...I misunderstood.....yeh I would think it would not....

07-17-2015, 07:46 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Eebll Quote
A quick question. I have two K3 bodies here on which I have these settings and both do exactly the same.
I have the AF button set to focus with the shutter button focus disabled, AfC center focus on nine zone,
first frame focus priority and action in AFC focus priority. If I deliberately try to take a photo that's out of focus,
it shouldn't release the shutter/curtain, should it? Both mine do. Any thought or words of wisdom?
My thanks in advanced for any comments or suggestions.

Eric.
I think the shutter will always release unless you're in AF.S focus priority.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the shutter will always release unless you're in AF.S focus priority.
Just tried AF.S and still released. Tried AV, TAV, AND TV. mode, actually, any mode.
07-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So is the issue confined to when you use back-button AF? That is to say, do you see the same behaviour if you take a photo using normal shutter-button half-press AF?
07-17-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There was a long recent thread about this (I think) -- I believe it is because of using the back button focus. It is a change from older models...

07-17-2015, 11:42 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
It could just be the way it is. I can auto focus on a subject then put it out of focus and the shutter still operates. If I make it
hunt by holding the AF button and moving the camera, say downwards to shorten the focus length and depress the shutter
button whilst it hunts for focus, it won't trip the shutter. It is something I haven't noticed before. I shoot Equestrian events on
weekends and noticed that I'm getting a few out of focus shots after the first photo while still tracking the horse. Before It wouldn't
trip the shutter unless it was in focus. I'll have to take a little more notice tomorrow while I'm shooting.

---------- Post added 07-18-15 at 03:00 PM ----------

Ok. Had a little play around outside with both shutter AF and AF back button only. Continues shutter (med hi), continues AF, center point focus 9 zone.
Moving the camera to change the focus point I can hear the camera slow down or pick up the shutter speed again so must be working. Need to learn a little
bit more about my camera me thinks.
07-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
There was a long recent thread about this (I think) -- I believe it is because of using the back button focus. It is a change from older models...
You are correct. The thread had to do specifically with catch-in-focus, but I believe the OP is describing a similar use case.

Steve