Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long for firmware update

hi guys, I have a small problem or at least I think it's small.. On my new K3 I fully charged my battery, followed instructions and am installing the firmware now, I noticed after a few minutes after it started loading that my monitor took a snooze as it seems to do when It's not being used for an amount of time So now I have no idea on how to wake up the monitor without restarting the camera or the fear of hitting buttons that may interfere with the firmware being updated which I assume and surely hope that it's still doing since I really have no clue since I can't see anything.
A few questions that I have is how long does it take to upload the latest K3 firmware version and how do I wake my monitor to find out if in fact it is still loading or finished?, it said that it will say "Complete" on the screen when it's finished but I won't be able to see it if the monitor is snoozing. I thought about just waiting till morning and then tinker with it or turn it off and then on again, I would hope that would be time enough for it to do what ever it does when loading.
Any help would be appreciate and than s in advance.

Rich

07-18-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

It's about 2 or 3 minutes, not quite long. It
does show the "complete" word. But did you see the process bar? If not it may did not loaded at all.
07-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the monitor went out before it finished so I really don't know if it ever completed or not, it's been about an hour I guess it would be safe to turn it off and then back on, I assume.
I believe I seen the process bar yes.

---------- Post added 07-18-15 at 09:19 PM ----------

I just restarted it and the new version is updated.. 1.21
Thank you Gyokutoku. I didn't want to chance doing that until I found out how long it takes to update.

Last edited by PizzaDon; 07-18-2015 at 06:22 PM.
07-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sapper Quote
the monitor went out before it finished so I really don't know if it ever completed or not, it's been about an hour I guess it would be safe to turn it off and then back on, I assume.
I believe I seen the process bar yes.

---------- Post added 07-18-15 at 09:19 PM ----------

I just restarted it and the new version is updated.. 1.21
Thank you Gyokutoku. I didn't want to chance doing that until I found out how long it takes to update.
I do wish that Ricoh/Pentax would revise their firmware update instructions to include disabling the auto power off feature (menu/settings/3/auto power off).

Steve

07-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I do wish that Ricoh/Pentax would revise their firmware update instructions to include disabling the auto power off feature (menu/settings/3/auto power off).

Steve
Does it auto power off during an update? After all, it's the firmware that gives the auto power off instruction and during an update that must be disabled while it's being replaced.
07-19-2015, 01:33 AM   #6
Forum Member

Is everything ok after updating to version 1.21? I've read here on the forum that some people experienced issues with their cameras after updating to v1.21 ( cameras refusing to turn on, freezing when viewing photos at 100% ..etc.).

Have you noticed any improvements?

PS: I'm still using v1.11 on my K3
07-19-2015, 01:47 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by radeon7750 Quote
Is everything ok after updating to version 1.21? I've read here on the forum that some people experienced issues with their cameras after updating to v1.21 ( cameras refusing to turn on, freezing when viewing photos at 100% ..etc.).

PS: I'm still using v1.11 on my K3
K3 owner - NO ONE PROBLEM after more than 2 months passed with v 1.21

07-19-2015, 02:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Steve

I agree and it would of made it a lot less nerve racking too.

Does it auto power off during an update? After all, it's the firmware that gives the auto power off instruction and during an update that must be disabled while it's being replaced.

It did for me, it was my first so I didn't know what to expect anyway.

I hope so but I'll be finding out soon enough.

K3 owner - NO ONE PROBLEM after more than 2 months passed with v 1.21
Claudiu

That's good to know, I'm hoping I have the same results.
Which brings up another point.. Is there a way to delete a newer version and go back to an earlier release if anything?
07-19-2015, 03:17 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Setting "Auto off" to off...that makes sense.
Can't we just send a mail to Pentax and ask them to include that in their manual next time? I guess if enough of us do so, they might consider it a good thing to add...

As I remember when I did my 1.21 firmware update I had to take a look at my oven in between and the camera was showing only a black screen. But I figured if I pressed the shutter half in it would show me where it was. Some nerve wracking seconds later...everything was good

Sapper I don't think there is a way to replace a newer update with an older one, except if Pentax self issues a rollback version if something goes seriously wrong with a new update.
07-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Sapper Quote
Is there a way to delete a newer version and go back to an earlier release if anything?
I'm pretty sure you can just install an older version. I've not done it myself but have heard of others who have done so when they've had problems with an update.
07-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
I'm pretty sure you can just install an older version. I've not done it myself but have heard of others who have done so when they've had problems with an update.
I ve done it with my K7... went back from v1.13 to 1.03 ( but I had problems with flash so I wanted to update again)
When I went to v1.12, it bricked my camera....
07-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
Does it auto power off during an update?
Difficult to say. Just about every time there is a new update, we get questions on this site regarding cameras that were apparently "snoozin" without giving any indication of a successful update. I have never had this problem. Every time I have done an update it finishes very quickly.

Steve
07-20-2015, 02:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
But I figured if I pressed the shutter half in it would show me where it was. Some nerve wracking seconds later...everything was good -Lille

I was scared even to do that especially having to worry about hitting a wrong button and having to return it to be repaired, I do have insurance but just the thought of having to go through the process would be a pain in the neck.

I'm pretty sure you can just install an older version. I've not done it myself but have heard of others who have done so when they've had problems with an update .-Percy

That sounds positive at least they worked that into their programming.

I ve done it with my K7... went back from v1.13 to 1.03 ( but I had problems with flash so I wanted to update again)
When I went to v1.12, it bricked my camera.... radeon7750

That's what I was thinking could happen. I take it everything is back to normal now though?

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
Does it auto power off during an update?
Difficult to say. Just about every time there is a new update, we get questions on this site regarding cameras that were apparently "snoozin" without giving any indication of a successful update. I have never had this problem. Every time I have done an update it finishes very quickly. -Stevebrot

that's good to know, at least now I have an idea on how long it takes if my camera decides on taking a snooze in the process, I guess being the first time with your first digital camera in my case it can get pretty scary especially not knowing what to expect and expecting the worse.
07-20-2015, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Gallery
For the "Auto off": I have send an email to the German tech support of Pentax asking them to extend their firmware update manual to include "turn off auto off". They have responded positively to it and will send it further to the development team, so I am hoping that the next firmware update manual will include a sentence or two about turning the "auto off" off before starting the update.

Sapper I can guarantee you if you have to leave your camera for a couple of minutes and then return and the screen has turned black because the screensaver kicked in is a scary moment. I have had it happen...realizing that pressing a button might now cost me 10000 Kroner...I did half press the shutter button after a couple more minutes just to find out that the update was finished without problems. But yes, until that point I was checking my bank accounts in my mind
07-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lille Ulven Quote
For the "Auto off": I have send an email to the German tech support of Pentax asking them to extend their firmware update manual to include "turn off auto off". They have responded positively to it and will send it further to the development team, so I am hoping that the next firmware update manual will include a sentence or two about turning the "auto off" off before starting the update.

Sapper I can guarantee you if you have to leave your camera for a couple of minutes and then return and the screen has turned black because the screensaver kicked in is a scary moment. I have had it happen...realizing that pressing a button might now cost me 10000 Kroner...I did half press the shutter button after a couple more minutes just to find out that the update was finished without problems. But yes, until that point I was checking my bank accounts in my mind
Lets hope they listen Lille because it will save many of us especially new buyers such as myself from having an anxiety attack.