Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
No class 10 32 mg both slot same card ,no wifi card

---------- Post added 07-20-15 at 07:28 PM ----------

Loco this situation remind me about my iPhone. iPhone 6 when use hot all time
I check my camera few times when use inside warm yes notable but not crazy hot
As I work outside with 97-100 F typical NM summer . If will really go hot
At list I have 15 more day for return or exchange. Amazon 30 day policy
Thanks dstar. Yes, the iPhones can get pretty hot, too.

My replacement is supposed to be coming tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to give it a good look over tomorrow evening and see if there is any difference. I'll post an update here.

The fact that I can't seem to find any other references to this on the forum suggests to me that my camera is different. I know there were lots of other people who upgraded from K-30s to K-3s and they certainly would've noticed this. You'd think there would've been some mention of it.
07-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Just a quick update...

I just got the replacement K-3 tonight. I have not had a chance to do any extensive testing, but I did go out for about 20 minutes and shoot around in the yard. The other K-3 would've heated up by then, but this one did not warm up anything like that. Now, it's very nice out tonight, so I can't say for sure on a very hot day, it might not do the same thing. But this seems much more normal to me so far. If anything changes, I'll report back.

I added the "bad" serial number to the database here at the forum. Thanks to all for your help.
07-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use my k- 3 my first vacation week
First day and second day probably 300-400 image
Plus used flash
Outside some 85
Body camera no extra warm
Only notable battery drain fast

07-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #20
Forum Member

So I received a K3 today with a serial number just a little different from the serial number Loco (originator of this thread) posted in the database for the hot-running K3. I've had no real time to use it, but did sit it next to me letting it do 10 minutes of video recording followed by about 10 minutes of having live view activated. The LCD became warm to the touch (and I could feel warmth issuing from it just by holding it close to my eye). But I wouldn't call it uncomfortably warm--maybe about like lukewarm water. Ambient temperature is 73F. I'll repost if I notice anything more serious, especially on a hot day.

I had to run a K-X about twice as long to start to get similarly warm, which isn't surprising.

Somewhat surprising to me is that while Loco's K-3 came from Amazon, mine was from a different major mail order retailer. Yet the serial numbers are extremely close--both just a little under XXXX900, and the manufacture month is the same, as is the firmware version. I know batches have to be divided at some number, but this still makes me wonder about how serial numbers are assigned and how the distribution process works.

Also, Loco's had a shutter count of 0. Mine had a shutter count of 1.
07-24-2015, 06:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lititz Quote
So I received a K3 today with a serial number just a little different from the serial number Loco (originator of this thread) posted in the database for the hot-running K3. I've had no real time to use it, but did sit it next to me letting it do 10 minutes of video recording followed by about 10 minutes of having live view activated. The LCD became warm to the touch (and I could feel warmth issuing from it just by holding it close to my eye). But I wouldn't call it uncomfortably warm--maybe about like lukewarm water. Ambient temperature is 73F. I'll repost if I notice anything more serious, especially on a hot day.

I had to run a K-X about twice as long to start to get similarly warm, which isn't surprising.

Somewhat surprising to me is that while Loco's K-3 came from Amazon, mine was from a different major mail order retailer. Yet the serial numbers are extremely close--both just a little under XXXX900, and the manufacture month is the same, as is the firmware version. I know batches have to be divided at some number, but this still makes me wonder about how serial numbers are assigned and how the distribution process works.

Also, Loco's had a shutter count of 0. Mine had a shutter count of 1.
That's interesting, Lititz. I never tried to record any video with my hot-running K-3, but I'm guessing if I had, it would've been really warm. Much warmer than lukewarm water. Sounds like yours is probably ok. But I'd be interested to know if you notice it during normal still shooting. I would describe my circumstances as pretty light use. And as I tested it more, it seemed like it heated up regardless of what I was doing -- just having it turned on seemed to anger it.

So far so good with my second K-3, but I'll test it out really good this weekend. Interestingly, the serial on my second one was close to the first one (and yours) and manufactured the same month as well.
07-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #22
Forum Member

Tried the new K-3 outside just now; mid-80s ambient temperature (F). Took 35 photos in about 15-18 minutes, mostly (but not always) with the camera in the sun, sometimes with live view on. It was warmer than I reported previously from indoor use, but not what I'd think of as overheated or uncomfortably too hot to touch.

07-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's good news. I've had my new K-3 out today and it's pretty hot - mid 80s here as well. No issues at all so far.
07-25-2015, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mid 80's won't even begin to bother the K-3. I was out for two hours a bit ago at aroune 105. The black camera body of he K-3ii was very very warm but everything worked perfectly including the GPS. I have been using Pentax DSLRs in the Arizona and Utah deserts in summer and winter for years without a single issue. Every summer they put up with hours of even 110. I think high humidity such as you have in the east and south might pose a bigger challenge. By the way my little Qs warm up quickly in the Arizona summer and display their little pink thermometers after only an hour or even less in the heat. The DSLRs have never complained.
07-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Glad to hear it, Mikesul! Unfortunately, my first K-3 was very bothered. In retrospect it might not have had anything to do with the weather. i think it just overheated after being on for a few minutes. The hot weather probably just exacerbated it.
07-25-2015, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Just a reminder that the camera records it's temperature in the EXIF with every shot, as well as 1000 other useful details which can sometimes help diagnose camera issues ...

QuoteQuote:
Drive Mode : Single-frame; No Timer; Shutter Button; Single Exposure
Color Space : sRGB
Data Scaling : 8192
Preview Image Borders : 0 0 0 0
Lens Type : smc PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM
Camera Temperature : 26 C
AE Lock : Off
Noise Reduction : Off
Flash Exposure Comp : 0; 0
Image Tone : Natural
Thank you EXIFTool!
ExifTool by Phil Harvey
07-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
rawr, thanks! That's pretty cool.

Now, I didn't keep many photos I took with the first K-3, but of the ones I did, I'm seeing an average of 10 degrees cooler and often 15 degrees cooler temps with my new K-3.
07-26-2015, 05:21 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm curious -- when I run ExifTool on my K-3 raw files, I get two separate readings for camera temperature. Most of the time they are the same reading, but occasionally they differ. Why two?
07-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I'm curious -- when I run ExifTool on my K-3 raw files, I get two separate readings for camera temperature. Most of the time they are the same reading, but occasionally they differ. Why two?
What are the field names? I only see "Color Temperature" and "Camera Temperature" from my K3.
Of course, I use DNG, so the EXIF may be written slightly differently if you use PEF. ???
07-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
What are the field names? I only see "Color Temperature" and "Camera Temperature" from my K3.
Of course, I use DNG, so the EXIF may be written slightly differently if you use PEF. ???
Camera Temperature 2
Camera Temperature 3

I'm using DNG as well. Interestingly, I don't see a Camera Temperature 1 anywhere. I also don't see Color Temperature.