Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quick question about new K-3

I got my new K-3 yesterday and have a question for you all.

I love the camera so far. Everything seems to work great! However, I've noticed when I'm outside shooting, the rear LCD panel seems to get pretty warm. It has been really hot here the past two days, so maybe that's just how it is. I haven't noticed it inside so far, but I haven't been shooting inside much. I don't recall this with my K-30 or K-r.

Just wondering if this is "normal". It cools down fairly quickly after I bring it inside. Thanks!

07-20-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter

just to rule out the obvious here, is the brightness turned all the way up and is the panel itself ever in the sun? I have only noticed this behavior when my camera around my neck with the lcd in direct sunlight or when it's on a tripod. I'm in southern Mississippi, so I'm pretty sure it's just a combination of ambient heat and sunlight causing my heat issues. Lcd on max brightness may contribute some, but I would figure it to be negligible compared to the outside heat and sunlight.
07-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I got my new K-3 yesterday and have a question for you all.

I love the camera so far. Everything seems to work great! However, I've noticed when I'm outside shooting, the rear LCD panel seems to get pretty warm. It has been really hot here the past two days, so maybe that's just how it is. I haven't noticed it inside so far, but I haven't been shooting inside much. I don't recall this with my K-30 or K-r.

Just wondering if this is "normal". It cools down fairly quickly after I bring it inside. Thanks!
It's a considerably larger LCD and there's no gap between the monitor and the glass, so slightly more heat is to be expected. But it shouldn't be that much warmer unless you're in direct sunlight.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the response, willskywalker. No, I even turned the brightness down a notch. I have had the K-3 on a wrist strap, but mostly with my right hand on the grip. I don't notice the grip or battery area being particularly warm. I don't think the LCD panel has been exposed to any more sunlight than any other part of the camera. I haven't had it on a tripod yet. I just happened to notice this when I put the camera up to my face to look through the viewfinder and I thought "that seems warm."

---------- Post added 07-20-15 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a considerably larger LCD and there's no gap between the monitor and the glass, so slightly more heat is to be expected. But it shouldn't be that much warmer unless you're in direct sunlight.
Thanks Adam. I'm wondering whether I should get it exchanged. Hate to when the rest of it seems to be working great at the moment. And I've got the menu items all customized. I'll give it a day or two more and see what happens with more use.

07-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I decided to go ahead and return it and order another K-3. It is kind of uncomfortably hot when I look through the viewfinder and just doesn't seem right. At least I'll see if the new one behaves the same way. This will give me some peace of mind. Thanks again.
07-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
Ole
Administrator

There was a firmware bug in release 1.20 that kept the rear monitor backlight always on. Make sure to update to 1.21 when you get your replacement camera.
07-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Ole. I had already updated to 1.21. This camera came with 1.11. Manufacture date was April '15. The firmware didn't seem to make any difference.
07-20-2015, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear of your issue. Hope the newly ordered copy won't give you any trouble and everything works out for you, Lori!

Modern return policies can be a real blessing sometimes ...

07-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey Marc, thanks. I hope so, too. Yep, Amazon's return policy is awesome so it's not a huge deal as long as the next one is ok!
07-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Same here. I use a sling strap so the camera hangs off my back with the LCD pointing upwards.
The LCD gets warm in the sun. Warmer if I forget to turn off the LCD or leave it in live view mode (naturally).

It has never been to the point I thought the difference in heat between the LCD and the body was so great that I thought there was a problem.
Of course now you're going to have me constantly checking my LCD when I'm in the sun. :-)

If you're shooting pretty constantly, the LCD will be on most of the time between shots and will generate a fair amount of heat (which I really only seem to notice when I am in the sun).
You could also turn off the LCD preview and only use that when needed.
I often do that at all-day events to save battery power, but it would probably work to reduce the heat... assuming you do not need to review every image you shoot.
07-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have never noticed an issue, but then I tend to stay indoors when it is hot, LOL. No, really when I have been out in the sun and such I have never noticed anything, so hopefully it will be straightened out with the return. I do notice a strange smell when the camera gets hot, but I have kind of a 'super' nose.
07-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Same here. I use a sling strap so the camera hangs off my back with the LCD pointing upwards.
The LCD gets warm in the sun. Warmer if I forget to turn off the LCD or leave it in live view mode (naturally).

It has never been to the point I thought the difference in heat between the LCD and the body was so great that I thought there was a problem.
Of course now you're going to have me constantly checking my LCD when I'm in the sun. :-)

If you're shooting pretty constantly, the LCD will be on most of the time between shots and will generate a fair amount of heat (which I really only seem to notice when I am in the sun).
You could also turn off the LCD preview and only use that when needed.
I often do that at all-day events to save battery power, but it would probably work to reduce the heat... assuming you do not need to review every image you shoot.
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. I experimented a little this afternoon and tried turning the LCD completely off while shooting and found that it still got warm to the touch. Perhaps not quite as warm as when it's in use, but I thought that was kind of odd. It just is way warmer than anything I've noticed with my other two cameras. I've spent a lot of time with my K-30 up to my face sitting out on hot days waiting out hummingbirds or other creatures and never noticed anything like that.

Maybe it's just how the K-3 is. I just felt I needed to try another one to see. I'm hoping the next one doesn't do the same thing!

I could understand it if the LCD was facing the sun like the way you are describing. But I was carrying it down by my side with my hand on the grip. The sun really wasn't hitting it directly all that much. So, yours sounds like it's behaving normally.

---------- Post added 07-20-15 at 06:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Murfy Quote
I have never noticed an issue, but then I tend to stay indoors when it is hot, LOL. No, really when I have been out in the sun and such I have never noticed anything, so hopefully it will be straightened out with the return. I do notice a strange smell when the camera gets hot, but I have kind of a 'super' nose.
LOL, thanks Murfy. Believe me, I wanted to stay in but how can you stay in when you have a new toy to play with?
07-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Regarding same problem
After use k-3 probable week or so I recognize same problem
I spoke with tech support first they told me
Turn brightness screen Max down
Second increase screen and body temperature to notable warm it's normal
Powerful battery and big scree only if will be very hot
Check battery first or call tech support
I have another question
Small back light " card access light".blink all time when push shutter button
Even before final push
Or every time when camera activate from sleep mode
Is this normal?
Blinking light kind orange
Thanks
07-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Regarding same problem
I have another question
Even before final push
Is this normal?
Thanks
Thanks dstar. Hmm, I took the battery out when the LCD was "hot" and the battery did not feel hot at all. The warmth I felt was totally on the left side of the camera (when looking at the back), not the battery side. The bottom on that side was also warm.

My card access light only blinks after I take a shot and when I first insert a card. It doesn't blink when I push the shutter button halfway.
07-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dstar Quote
Regarding same problem
I have another question
Even before final push
Is this normal?
Thanks
Do you have the Flu Card?
Is it possibly waking up the card or checking if there are new photos to send? Does the camera behave the same with a different card?

Mine will flash when powering on, when powering off, and I noticed it blinked the first time I focused after the initial power on. (never noticed that before).
But I do not see any flashes other than writing when a photo is actually taken.