Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Ken Rockwell and K3II

While I'm not a fan of this guy, I'm surprised that he had good things to say about Pentax.
Pentax K3 II Review

"AHA!!! Much sharper than any Bayer-type sensor, which is every other real DSLR and LEICA.
While it's not as sharp as my 50 MP Canon 5DS, the 24MP images made with this feature are sharper than any other 24MP DSLR."

"The images look great; color and tone rendition is much better than I expected, and color and tone are 99% of what the camera does to make a picture."

But then he says stupid crap like this
"Canon and Nikon make better and more refined cameras for the same price if you actually own and use them as I do"

and

"It is more primitive than the current Nikon and Canon cameras, whose color and tone are also fantastic. If you're already invested in Pentax, by all means get one, but if this is a first DSLR, the Nikon D7100 or D7200 is worlds better in actual use, as are the similar Canon DSLRs like the 70D."

Update:
He says this about the DFA100mm Macro WR

"This is a great little lens for any Pentax. It's small, sharp, fast, light and tough.
It offers essentially perfect optical performance and is the world's smallest and lightest 100mm macro lens."

And this about the DA 50mm F1.8
"The Pentax 50 DA is super-sharp. It's just a little less contrasty wide-open at f/1.8, quickly improving to super-sharp as stopped down.
It's sharp way past the corners on digital because this is a full-frame lens.
It's sharp all the way to f/16, only getting much softer at f/22 due to diffraction."

Last edited by john5100; 07-20-2015 at 03:33 PM.
07-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He's a joker, only things he's been able to say are about the supposedly terrible packaging (as if it meant anything) & noisy screw drive AF (ignoring sdm and dc lenses...).
He tries hard to find bad things to say about the products he expects to get less referral revenues from...
At least, he has started noticing Pentax, recently... better than nothing I guess... :-/
07-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, this guy is not super-biased, but he does tend to use.. hyperbole, strong language. Its nice that he is noticing Pentax, though. Its good for Pentax to be noticed at all.

Yeah, he cannot deny the quality of Pentax. And yes, I am very surprised he said that Pentax is not as refined and that Canikon is more elegant. I really, really don't see it. I think this is just because he is very much used to Canikon and never had a Pentax DSLR in his hands for a longer period. I think Pentax has one of the best interface, button placement, and Menu order. And Canikon doesn't offer anything better in this price range (at least I can't see it).. but, eh, he can't go all out and say this is the best APSC camera ever, because that would cause too much of a stir.

He should have mentioned TAv mode, WR, green button, sensor shift,.. but eh, he mentioned astrotracer and pixel shift, so that's something.

For me personally, it was the handling that brought me to Pentax DSLR. When I held a Pentax and then a Canon, Nikon.. the Pentax felt better. More solid, better texture.. (this was back in the day, I'm not talking about the Canikon flagships, I'm sure those are great)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 07-20-2015 at 04:04 PM.
07-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
the Nikon D7100 or D7200 is worlds better in actual use, as are the similar Canon DSLRs like the 70D
World's better (rolls eyes)? I don't think so, not at equal kit cost for comparison, particularly with the 70D. Pair the D7100/D7200 with one of Nikon's fast focusing OS lenses ($$$) and you have a sweet system for active sports shooting. Pit either against the K-3 for landscape, architectural, or portraiture and its a draw. As for the 70D...nice camera, but I would only take it over the K-3 if video were a priority (see Imaging Resources comparison for the two cameras). Heck, the camera has scene modes (rolls eyes again).

BTW...I actually like Ken Rockwell.

Steve

07-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The image in the DFA 100 Macro is clearly an Invicta and yet he captions it as: "Rolex Submariner at close-focus distance shot on Pentax K3 II at f/22."

lol..
07-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
But then he says stupid crap like this
"Canon and Nikon make better and more refined cameras for the same price if you actually own and use them as I do"
So, if you don't own a Canon or Nikon, they are then not more refined?? Sounds like brand bias to me.
07-20-2015, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only reason to click on his link is because you enjoy reading some dude's masturbation.

Once was one too many times for me.

07-20-2015, 05:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

He changed his review, the initial version was even worse - he originally said the K-3 (or any Pentax camera) isn't worth it even if you had legacy Pentax lenses. It seems like after using it some more, he might have changed his mind a little bit...

I'm still chuckling at that bit about the 70D being better than the K-3II...
07-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Once was one too many times for me.
haha.. that was too funny. I used a Canon in my SLR days, and had the choice of going to Pentax or Nikon when I decided to dive into DSLRs. Guess I don't like 'refined' stuff !
07-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
So, if you don't own a Canon or Nikon, they are then not more refined?? Sounds like brand bias to me.
LOL, I think a T5i is about the same price as the k-3.... and probably a more refined camera in his book.
07-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I shot with a T5i (a friend of ours had one and on her b-day, she asked me to take some pictures during her party, with her camera...)

It's flimsier than my K-r and just about as "refined".
07-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He hasn't reviewed that many Pentax products if you look at his list. Looks like he went right past the K5, K5II, and K3's except for the last one. Ditto on any of the Pentax lenses. Rockwell is definitely a Nikon guy. He got a lot of Canon owners P-off with some of his reviews to the point where he made a lot of enemies. He finally had to tone down the negativity on Canon products, but by then it was too late.
07-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #13

My question, is who really cares how pretty the menu interface looks? That, and his moodiness about the focus noise while choosing to use the cheapest screw drive lens Pentax makes. Although he seemed pleasantly surprised at how it took pictures. I also like the guy when it comes to actual photography lessons. But take his product reviews with a grain of salt.
07-20-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The bottom line is there has to be something to 'Other' in order to 'Group-ID' your brand (we're NOT Pentax). Pentax has been elected to Other because it is safe so to do.
07-20-2015, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rockwell said he shot jpg because he didn't want to "fiddle" with the image by shooting in raw. I believe that was when he shot with a D40 and 70-200VR which at the time, was all he needed to conquer the world.

The End.