Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Rockwell said he shot jpg because he didn't want to "fiddle" with the image by shooting in raw. I believe that was when he shot with a D40 and 70-200VR which at the time, was all he needed to conquer the world.

The End.
I like Rockwell's posts. Lots to disagree with but I don't want to just read fan boy affirmations.

He's reviewed a number of Pentax stuff in the last few weeks including lenses. He made a serious error in one of them saying the "HD" for a lens didn't mean anything and the lens wasn't fully muticoated. I sent him an email to correct that and he partially corrected his review after a nice reply. He also said that the Invicta/Rolex thing is an inside joke. Knowing that, there are a few more of them you can catch if you read carefully.

I have bought off of his recommendations. I bought my Canon S100 pocket camera and am really very happy with that purchase. Nice to have a real (small) camera in my jeans pocket instead of a cell phone or my Pentax kit when I go out causally. I also like some of his audio equipment reviews. I bought an Audioengine bluetooth receiver for my very nice home stereo running on vacuum tubes rig and really enjoy it.

I know he can get a little over the top in the better/best kind of verbage but it has its place if you sprinkle some salt around.

Last edited by eddaytona; 07-20-2015 at 11:19 PM.
07-20-2015, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
I like Rockwell's posts. Lots to disagree with but I don't want to just read fan boy affirmations.

He's reviewed a number of Pentax stuff in the last few weeks including lenses. He made a serious error in one of them saying the "HD" for a lens didn't mean anything and the lens wasn't fully muticoated. I sent him an email to correct that and he partially corrected his review after a nice reply. He also said that the Invicta/Rolex thing is an inside joke. Knowing that there are a few more of them you can catch if you read carefully.

I have bought off of his recommendations. I bought my Cannon S100 pocket camera and am really very happy with that purchase. Nice to have a real (small) camera in my jeans pocket instead of a cell phone or my Pentax kit when I go out causally. I also like some of his audio equipment reviews. I bought an Audioengine bluetooth receiver for my very nice home stereo running on vacuum tubes rig and really enjoy it.

I know he can get a little over the top in the better/best kind of verbage but it has its place if you sprinkle some salt around.
I agree with your statements. I like how he suggests that expensive lenses can be an overkill. He is biased as am I. His hyperbole is what cracks me up. Everything he likes is the best in the world. I guess we are all like that really.
07-20-2015, 11:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I stopped paying attention to the guy when suggested that most people should never clean theirs but then mentioned using a hand vac on his camera sensor. I was like "What?" and then "Uhuh." and I've never much cared what he has to say since. I can't help but think the guy is a little uh, mentally challenged?
07-20-2015, 11:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, he's a born seller, I'll give him that.
He has a way of (trying to)make you believe something and then the exact polar opposite.
His best-camera-bar-none regularly changes from a p&s, a mirrorless, an entry-level dslr, a FF, a Leica, all depending on what he's trying to sell at that point.
Of course real men shoot film, and Nikon shooters are kept in the dark about how good and sharp old mf lenses actually are (recent piece on route something-something), but then shooting old mf lenses with a NiKon is cool, doing that with a Pentax (and getting SR in the process), eh, not so much...

Just google something like "K R is the Chuck Norris of photography" and have a good laugh, i think it was spread first on dprev...

07-21-2015, 02:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Just google something like "K R is the Chuck Norris of photography" and have a good laugh, i think it was spread first on dprev...
it's super funny =)))) thanks for sharing
  • Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker
  • Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born
07-21-2015, 02:52 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ken is about selling things. He has to write things in as inflammatory (and I guess to him funny) way as possible. Every one of us does have biases, but I know that Canon and Nikon make excellent cameras. I just happen to think at the price points the K 3 and K3 II are sitting that Canon and Nikon don't have much that matches them. But if I had Nikon glass I would be shooting Nikon gear very happily.
07-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

The K3 had -3ev focusing for 20 months now, Nikon D7200 only recently acquired it. Doubt that any of the Canon APS cameras have it. Built-in astro tracking - i don't think so. But nice that he said what he did.

The K3 has slightly higher density of pixels per square mm than the Canon. Quite amazing image quality.

07-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ken has reviewed Pentax film cameras and is very fond of the 645n. He also likes the lenses, a lot.

While he is historically a Nikon fan, I do remember one review that actually biased my purchase decision. He compared the Russian MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye to the Nikon 10mm and while he concluded that the Zen is a "crappy" lens, his photos indicated that except for corners on FF or at f/2.8, the Russian ruled.* I think he might have gotten better results had he put the lens on a camera having a focus aid. I bought a Zen and have not regretted the purchase.

Steve

* I shoot my Zen on 35mm film and have no problems with corner softness. As always, YMMV
07-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

He's been souring on Nikon lately (says their stuff is for amateurs and "real pros" use Canon). So now Canon is his favorite (well I haven't checked today, it's probably already changed ...)
07-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #25
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
So, if you don't own a Canon or Nikon, they are then not more refined?? Sounds like brand bias to me.
That's one way to read it.

---------- Post added 07-21-2015 at 07:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
The K3 had -3ev focusing for 20 months now, Nikon D7200 only recently acquired it. Doubt that any of the Canon APS cameras have it. Built-in astro tracking - i don't think so. But nice that he said what he did.

The K3 has slightly higher density of pixels per square mm than the Canon. Quite amazing image quality.
Still, when Canikon can focus, it probably focuses faster than Pentax in low light.

And astrotracer? I never use it. It may be a great technical achievement, but it's also a niche.

Not saying Canikon is better or anything. Just saying he can have an opinion. And if he finds another brand more refined for the way he uses the camera (I think that's what he's saying), why is that a problem?

Last edited by starbase218; 07-21-2015 at 10:12 AM.
07-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
That's one way to read it.

---------- Post added 07-21-2015 at 07:08 PM ----------

Still, when Canikon can focus, it probably focuses faster than Pentax in low light.

And astrotracer? I never use it. It may be a great technical achievement, but it's also a niche.

Not saying Canikon is better or anything. Just saying he can have an opinion. And if he finds another brand more refined for the way he uses the camera (I think that's what he's saying), why is that a problem?
Its not a problem for me, why is my statement a problem for you??? Every positive thing i said about Pentax, you disparaged. Obviously, there's pros and cons to most models. What irritates me are folks that can find nothing positive to say about other brands. Let me enlighten you - if a camera can't focus in low light - it certainly can't do it faster than cameras that can. Top FF models in Nikon and Canon can focus very well and quickly in low light. But we'lre talking APS models here. And many brands don't equip their lower priced models with such capability. Samsung NX1 also has excellent low light focusing capability. Its great that D7200 now has it. Nikon aps D7000 line had double SD slots - which is great. It took Pentax till the K3 to have double slots - i think. See, its not hard to compliment other brands - try it sometime.
07-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is actually a challenge to find a BAD camera today. Most are good for nearly any user and they're all good for some users. Selecting a brand or model is a preference decision, not a rational decision.

Feature comparison and quantitative evaluation scores have little utility. Score tallies are biased by the feature-weightings imposed by the rater, which may have very little similarity to how I weight them.

People who sell camera ratings must erect straw men to knock down.
07-21-2015, 04:30 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It is actually a challenge to find a BAD camera today.
I agree! Quality and utility is uniformly good across brands and consistent within most price points. For sure there are distinguishing features, but it is pretty hard for a noob to pick up any ILC camera equipped with kit lens and not take decent photos with minimal instruction.

The most important thing, I think, for most buyers is to decide what their needs are. Once they decide how much or what type of camera they need, what I tell people is to decide how much they are comfortable spending and the base feature set (10 or less items). I then suggest they find someplace where they can actually handle a few cameras, see how the various models fit their hand, and see if they like the viewfinder and what not. I also suggest that Consumer Reports is fine, but that their rankings don't reflect real world use by a growing photographer.

Steve
07-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #29

Its hard to argue against Canikon too much since Pentax is still lacking a full frame camera...

I do think Pentax has the best entry level DSLR's and available cheap glass.
07-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How to Become a Professional Photographer

Why Photography is Not a Profession

1. Collect Underpants.
2.?????
3. Profit!