Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Live view and video audible noise!

So I got my third K-3II replacement and there is a loud like radio sound when moving to video or live view mode. The sound is very noticeable and it is there on both old lenses and new DA lenses.

Any idea? I started to believe that Pentax hates me!

07-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you mean something that sounds like light static? That is normal - shake reduction, I think.
07-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah like a radio. But the first two copies I got didn't have that or at least they weren't loud.

---------- Post added 07-23-15 at 08:24 AM ----------

I just turned off the SR and the sound is still there. I'm sure I couldn't hear it in the first 2 copies because I've recorded video and it wasn't there.
07-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Make sure you do not have Horizon correction enabled. That feature moves the sensor even with SR off.

07-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Make sure you do not have Horizon correction enabled. That feature moves the sensor even with SR off.
Thank you. Horizon correction is disabled. I compared the sound to a K3 and it sounds the same. The sound is very noticeable when recording videos with the internal microphone. I did a factory reset just to make sure it isn't something I've changed and I then turned off SR and it is still the same. I can't remember hearing this noise in my first 2 copies but it could be that the environment wasn't as quite as what I'm recording in right now. This makes recording video using the internal microphone useless in K3 and K3II.
07-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Do you mean something that sounds like light static? That is normal - shake reduction, I think.
QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
Yeah like a radio. But the first two copies I got didn't have that or at least they weren't loud.

---------- Post added 07-23-15 at 08:24 AM ----------

I just turned off the SR and the sound is still there. I'm sure I couldn't hear it in the first 2 copies because I've recorded video and it wasn't there.
I compared the sound to a K3 and it looks like they are both the same
It is normal and has been reported on here on PF before.

Steve
07-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is normal and has been reported on here on PF before.

Steve
Yeah, I just realized that. However, you can't record using the internal microphone with this noise.

07-23-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, I just realized that. However, you can't record using the internal microphone with this noise.
That is very true. For a real treat, do a little AF when recording. You may hear a clicking noise even with DC or ring motor lenses.

Steve
07-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The best solution is to use an external mic. Unfortunately, the SR sound can't be done away with since the sensor needs to be held in place even with SR off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #10

Original Poster
That is very true. For a real treat, do a little AF when recording. You may hear a clicking noise even with DC or ring motor lenses.

Steve
lol nice!

---------- Post added 07-23-15 at 05:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The best solution is to use an external mic. Unfortunately, the SR sound can't be done away with since the sensor needs to be held in place even with SR off.
Yeah, but microphones can't be mounted on the camera body in that case either. They'll pick the noise, no?
07-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, but microphones can't be mounted on the camera body in that case either. They'll pick the noise, no?
It depends on how directional they are. My understanding is that the on-camera noise issue is a challenge across brands.

Steve
07-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #12

Original Poster
It depends on how directional they are. My understanding is that the on-camera noise issue is a challenge across brands.

Steve
I understand. Thank you for your help.
07-23-2015, 08:05 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are noise-canceling mics out there as well as ones that sit on a shock-absorbing mount. My rode videomic pro works well and with the noise reduction option enabled, external sounds and even loud background noises are a non-issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are noise-canceling mics out there as well as ones that sit on a shock-absorbing mount. My rode videomic pro works well and with the noise reduction option enabled, external sounds and even loud background noises are a non-issue.
Yes, that's would be the solution and it is what I'm looking at right now. Thank you very much for your help.