Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

New K-3

As I stared at the "Out for delivery" status all day yesterday, I tried to keep my expectations in check.

It's just a camera. Yes, it's a big upgrade from your K-r. Yes, it will bring you back to the hardware-control days of your K10D. But it's still got its naysayers. People still complain about AF, especially tracking. Reviewers still complain about JPEGs lacking "pop."

As I did some tidying around the house, I kept peeking through the blinds for the big, brown, bringer of bounty. And then there was a knock on the door.

I knew there wasn't much I could do right away. I'm religious about running my batteries to a full charge before use. I actually ordered the Wasabi kit from Amazon, but as it's an off-Prime item, it won't be here until today. But wait.... B&H threw in a "free" BG-5, which was the main reason I ordered from them. And unlike with older models, this one has a AA battery tray. I have AA batteries! I can use it while the main one is charging!

My biggest disappointment from the K-r (and really, my K10D before that) was the indoor, low-light performance. Slow AF, just-plain-wrong AF, inaccurate WB, etc. So I mounted my best indoor lens, the big, honking Sigma 28mm f/1.8 (which balances really well with the battery grip). After setting the date, I moved the dial to P and snapped a pic of my daughter. The red indicator on her eye lit up! Zoom to check... it's in focus! Let's try the other daughter. Again, red AF light on her eye. That one's in focus too! And the shutter sound! Oh-so-smooth, nothing like the trucky clank of older models. And the Live View AF is damn near as good! And 1080p24? Perfect. Just.... just everything. I am elated.

I even took my Sigma 18-200 out to try AF.C with my daughter riding her bike toward me. 80% of my shots were in focus. I am so blown away.

Over the past 18 months, I've probably taken a paltry 1000 photos. This is just what I needed to get me back in the swing of things!

07-24-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great story of excitement and expectation. Congratulations and have fun.
07-24-2015, 07:32 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My goodness, that's a big step up. Enjoy.
08-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same here, I just got my K 3 and very happy with it, I upgrade from a K 5 IIs (yeah, not as big of a step as you) and find many awesome thing :
27 AF point (25 cross type !!!),
smooth shutter button,
the pop up flash (manual control up to 1/128th power !!!), perfect to optically control off camera flash and doesn't appear in the final photo
the focus peaking (my manual lens love it ^^)
RGB metering (means very accurate exposure metering )
MAWB (good wb in mix lighting condition)

08-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story... the k-3 is a lot more camera than most people have given credit for. Even though it is an APS-C camera, it out-performs the rival FF cameras of yester-years IMHO. With the k-3, I am sure you will enjoy your photographic experience more, the more you use it, the more you appreciate it.