Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dropped camera, now get F--- aperture

So silly me, I dropped my K-3 with a heavy lens attached and the body mounting plate sheared off. Placing it back and tightening the screws (as much as I could) I was able to reattach my lenses and all were able to focus and take correctly-exposed images BUT the aperture setting reads "F---" no matter what lens I put on it. Obviously I did more than just shearing the mounting plate off. As such I'm sending it off to Precision hoping it comes back quickly. Wish me luck.

Michael

P.S. given the prices of new K-3s am I stupid to pay $315 for them to fix it? (with no guarantee it won't cost more)

07-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

You can always decline the service if it is over a threshold.
07-31-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was me, I would take the $315 and put it towards a new K3 & sell it on Ebay for parts.
07-31-2015, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
If it was me, I would take the $315 and put it towards a new K3 & sell it on Ebay for parts.
We know what you meant but heard what you said....

QuoteQuote:
put it towards a new K3 & sell it on Ebay for parts
Would a brand new K3 sell for more as parts and if it did would you then have to buy a third one to use yourself ?

07-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The obvious question is what was the lens, and didn't anything happen to it?
07-31-2015, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #6

Sounds to me like the camera is F----ed. Sorry...I tried to resist. I hope this doesn't offend anyone.
07-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My K5ii did this after a drop...... was just a displaced connector .... cheap repair

07-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it was me, I'd go for a replacement and as kev pride says, get what ever is possible from the old one for parts.
07-31-2015, 10:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impact damage can be disastrous no matter what the camera. A friend had a top model Nikon that didn't look too bad and they just sent it back and said sorry. Another friend's brother's Canon was repairable but it took three months to get the parts. ........ Wishing you well.
07-31-2015, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had similar mishap with my K10D and the F-- aperture is caused by a tiny wire broken off the springy thin metal plate underneath the mount plate. It is circular in shape and has protruding those small bumps which you can see are helping to lock the lens' mount inside the body. Check that because although it's not easy , it is doable and you can solder it back yourself - which in result will give you again the aperture read out. This is what saved my K10D anyway...

good luck
08-01-2015, 12:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote
We know what you meant but heard what you said....

Would a brand new K3 sell for more as parts and if it did would you then have to buy a third one to use yourself ?
Always a smart arse on these forums, see you provided some advice for the OP - not!!!
08-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
The obvious question is what was the lens, and didn't anything happen to it?
the lens was a FA* 300mm f/4.5. After reattaching the body mounting plate and tightening the screws as much as I dare, I put several lenses back on (including the one dropped) to see if they would focus and expose properly. Other than the missing aperture signal (all pins are still there) everything seems to be copacetic. Of course, it is entirely possible the 300mm was damaged in ways that are not obvious so I'll have to wait until I get my K-3 back for more thorough tests in order to confirm.

Michael
08-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm really no expert in these things, but FWIW, the only time I've been able to get "F--" to appear on the camera display was when the lens' aperture ring was put to any setting other than "A".

I believe your FA* lens has an aperture ring? It may be useful to check whether it is out from the "A" position. That may have been the cause.

Also, note that to put a lens in "A" setting, one has to press a small mechanical, spring-loaded button on the aperture ring. Possibly this affects something mechanically in the interface between the body/lens.

Perhaps in the fall, this mechanical part got damaged, or perhaps a little knocked out of position, such that even if your lens were put on "A" setting, the body still can't detect that (due to the mechanical issue).

Maybe someone knowledgeable could comment on this?

Last edited by KDAFA; 08-01-2015 at 07:16 AM.
08-01-2015, 06:27 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for everyone's comments -- some good insights.
I tried several different lenses, including a few Limiteds, "after the fall" and all gave the same "F---" error, so it is definitely not the lens.

Michael
08-01-2015, 06:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My K5ii did this after a drop...... was just a displaced connector .... cheap repair
Unfortunately we Pentaxians in the USA have to deal with Precision Camera, where there is no such thing as a 'cheap repair.'

Wishing you well, OP. I'd try to avoid sending it to Precision if at all possible.