Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #1

ICC profiles of the K3 & K3II

Hello, I use Capture One software to process my raw files (.dng).

I have a K3 II but not a K3.

There is no ICC profile in Capture One for the K3 II. So, I tried the profiles for the K3. They are very over saturated, so, this leads to my question.

Is it the software or is the software showing me that the info produced by the K3 II is less/more than the K3. Is it showing me inadvertently that the K3 II processes the color space differently than the K3?

Is there more to the K3 II than Pentax/Ricoh has let on?

08-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
Hello, I use Capture One software to process my raw files (.dng).

I have a K3 II but not a K3.

There is no ICC profile in Capture One for the K3 II. So, I tried the profiles for the K3. They are very over saturated, so, this leads to my question.

Is it the software or is the software showing me that the info produced by the K3 II is less/more than the K3. Is it showing me inadvertently that the K3 II processes the color space differently than the K3?

Is there more to the K3 II than Pentax/Ricoh has let on?
Isn't the ICC profile for calibrating your monitor, not for developing RAW files?
08-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
He meant Camera color profile embed from the Capture One Pro not ICC color profile for monitor/printer. The camera color profiles depend on the software developers. Adobe Lightroom has it's own color calibration, so is Capture One Pro. Mostly they use particular camera in the studio setting, took a photo of color checkers, and calibrate accordingly. But man power and resource is very limited so normally they just do a "generic" color curve per camera.

I normally would go in, pick the one color curve I like the most (as base), then tune up my own curve saved as default.
08-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In order to have maximum colour control, you are best to purchase a x-rite passport and generate different profiles for different cameras and lighting conditions

Randy

08-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
But why would a K3 calibrate differently than a K3 II? If a software company uses the same controlled environment, if all other things equal (like the same sensor in both cameras), then why?

Last edited by MyTZuS; 08-06-2015 at 08:15 PM.
08-08-2015, 02:01 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by MyTZuS Quote
But why would a K3 calibrate differently than a K3 II? If a software company uses the same controlled environment, if all other things equal (like the same sensor in both cameras), then why?
Cameras need dedicated support in Capture one.
If a certain camera model is not properly supported, the software won't recognize the raw files, and won't apply the right tonal curves, it won't really help just choosing a camera profile from a supported model. If you go into the Capture one software package, you will not only find camera profiles for each camera, but also a set of tonal curves.
Best thing is to open a support case with phase one to speed up support for the K3II, as they do tend to take a while on supporting new cameras.

Chris
08-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a facebook group called capture one collective, they should be able to answer questions like this too, the do a lot of tech support. I still haven't made the switch but I follow the group
08-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Capture One produces very saturated images if you use one of the "Auto / Film Extra Shadow / Film High Contrast / etc" curves in the Base Characteristics tool (i.e. same tool where you select the ICC profile). I always use "Linear" which give a somewhat soft, bland image to start with. It's almost like the complete opposite problem to have. I sprinkle a little bit of contrast, saturation, clarity, and highlight/shadow adjustment for each shot. You don't need much, honestly. A little bit of everything together works very well. Try something like 7 for contrast, 2-4 for saturation if necessary, 15 for clarity, and 10 for structure. Season the highlight and shadows to taste. Sometimes I add +30 of shadows and +30 to +100 for the highlights. Don't be fooled by the high number there. The adjustments must be happening in very fine steps and there are a lot of them between nothing and full strength.

I use the default K-3 ICC Profile in Capture One with no desire to make my own.

08-09-2015, 09:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the posts. Learned a lot. What a great forum.

Guess until Capture One puts out a profile I'll keep using the DNG Neutral profile. I really like how Capture One processes raw files (huge files, much more than Adobe). I use it for a couple of tweaks & then finish it up in Camera Raw and/or Photoshop.