Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 07:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K-3 locking up

I'm aware of the mirror-flapping K-3 issue, but mine is misbehaving differently.

My new K-3 has completely locked up on me twice. Both times, I had zoomed into a photo 100%, and was holding the Up button to scroll to the face. The green arrow stays highlighted, and the camera will do nothing else. No buttons respond, turning it off makes no difference. I have to pull the battery. Unfortunately, I'm shooting with a grip, so pulling the battery is annoying.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm wondering if I should send it back to B&H or go ahead and send it for service (pre-emptively getting the mirror issue fixed as well)

Relevant info:
Quick Zoom: 100%
SD1: Sony 32GB UHS-I (DNG)
SD2: EyeFi Mobi 8GB (XS JPG)

08-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I'm shooting with a grip
Only time I had what sounds like the same problem you describe I was also using the grip. Happened over a year ago, but never since. I suspect it was grip related.

Are you running the latest firmware? (v1.21)
08-05-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Are you running the latest firmware? (v1.21)
No. Duh, why didn't I think of that?
08-05-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Anyone else experience this?
There have been periodic reports of lock-up with the K-3. I had it happen three times in the first 10,000 exposures with no apparent cause. There would be no harm done in sending the camera back to B&H (I probably would), though it would be no guarantee that the replacement might not lock-up as well at some point.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-13-2015 at 01:20 PM.
08-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This sounds like the kind of issue that a firmware fix might address Hopefully it does.

May also be the eye-fi card draining too much power, but I doubt it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

This is the new "Vegetable" mode found in the K-3. That mode would happen to me early on when I was switching between live view and to regular mode. I also had a manual lens on. Not sure if that made a difference.
08-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the K-3 tends to draw huge amounts of power in between switching functions like LiveView vs. OVF, shooting vs. playback, etc. These spikes cause the battery voltage to take a dive if your charge is not at 100%. If your voltage suddenly falls I think the camera starts to shut itself off to prevent damage ... but then the the battery level rises! It didn't finish saving internal data before shutting down but starts trying to work as normal. Now the camera is caught in limbo with the firmware not knowing what to do so it freezes.

That's my uneducated guess.
08-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-3 has had this problem several times. Over 10 times during the past 10 months. I have updated the firmware and it has nothing to do with it. I suggest it is the hardware problem.
I also sent my camera to inspected and prepared in June. Pentax care in Sweden did not find anything wrong with it.
It happens with several lenses both automatic kit-lens, old fixed Pentax-A SMC and manual Tamron Adaptall2 lenses. I shoot a lot with CIF and with manual lenses it has always happened with it, but that is not the case with the kit-lens. With the kit-lens it happened, when I swithced from aperture priority to manual mode. I have used both Pentax and replacement batteries.

Someone suggested, it could be caused by the bad contact between the camera and the lens. Perhaps.