Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 back LCD flickers

I have the Pentax battery in the (genuine Pentax) battery grip and the Wasabi in the body. In the menu settings, I directed the camera to use the battery in the grip first. When I turn the camera on, the back LCD goes dark for a couple of seconds. And as soon as I take a picture, the screen goes dark for a few seconds but comes back on eventually. I am able to scroll through images as well take pictures normally once the screen comes back on. After a minute or so, the back LCD works normally (I set the timeout to 10 seconds, I think, so it does go off at that time on its own as expected) without turning off after taking a picture.

I am guessing this is an issue with the grip? Anyone else seen this?

08-06-2015, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the question is does this happen without the grip? And does it happen if you swap the batteries? And does it happen if both batteries are freshly charged? And does it happen if you select to use the camera battery first?

And is this a Pentax grip or third party?

Just questions to ask as you problem solve. It does seem that on both k-5 series and k-3 a lot of different quirks are noticed more when the grip is on.

You might try taking off the grip and gently cleaning the contacts on both the camera and grip. And the battery contacts as well. Just a light buffing with a microfiber cloth should work unless you actually can see tarnish.
08-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. Doesn't happen without the grip, I'll try the different combinations and clean the contacts. I would really love to have the grip (genuine Pentax from B&H) in working order for this weekend...volunteered to shoot roller derby bouts for 4-5 hours.

I was wondering if my specific grip has issues, or if the grip in general is known to cause this issue. Seems like the latter, but I will clean and confirm from my end two (having a fine-hair shedding husky in the house doesn't help with keeping contacts clean either!).
08-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might also test it with the Pentax battery in the grip instead of the Wasabi. It seems to me the grip puts a slight extra strain on the whole electrical system of the camera and small issues that never cause a problem without the grip get magnified.

The Wasabi batteries have been good for me, but if yours is just slightly off voltage it might work fine in the camera but cause issues in the grip. Just speculating.

08-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Reasonable hypothesis. I will test it out. Thank you.
08-06-2015, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have the same set up as you have, and I am using it exactly as you described without any problems.

The only problem that I have had was every once in a while I would accidentally hit the battery grip switch, knocking it to the on position. This did cause a problem. So the first thing I do if I have a problem, is to make sure that switch is turned off. I only turn it on when I need to use it in portrait mode.

Make sure the grip switch is turned on only when you need it, otherwise turn it off.
08-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aaah, my switch is always on. Good to know, I will turn it off and test again. Thanks.
08-06-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, cleaned the grip contacts and turned the grip switch off (it indeed was on). No more flicker, yea!

Thanks for your help!