Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K3 - external charging of the battery

I have not found any reference to this anywhere, and I recall the same for the K5 and all its predecessors.

Can the battery be charged without taking it out?

08-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

No. (not without modifications to the camera)
08-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you already charge the battery "Externally" what you are really after is charging the battery "While inside the K3" right? If so I'm also not aware of a way to do that - the external power supply (as far as I know) only runs the camera - it doesn't charge the battery. If the battery starts out charged it should stay charged however since the camera isn't going to need to pull from it and the shelf life is very long on those charges.
08-07-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

No! I have 2 grips as well as the AC adapter the batteries have to be charged by an outside charger. I have point & Shoot cameras (Nikon) that charge while plugged into AC or computer but no Pentax DSLR's.

08-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I have point & Shoot cameras (Nikon) that charge while plugged into AC or computer but no Pentax DSLR's.
That is how Nikon does it. Note that they do not include a charger with the camera. It would be nice and also make very good sense for the AC adapter to also charge the battery on Pentax dSLRs, but it does not

Steve
08-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is how Nikon does it. Note that they do not include a charger with the camera. It would be nice and also make very good sense for the AC adapter to also charge the battery on Pentax dSLRs, but it does not

Steve
Seems to me the simplest and easiest way is to use the supplied charger. Plugging the camera in to a power supply ties down the camera for an extended period of time. I had an old Toshiba T20 back around 2000 and Some of the earlier P&S cameras charged like the T20 and it was a total inconvenience. The T20 had no view finder either but had a touch screen. Simply buy at a minimum an extra battery and always have a charged one ready.

Last edited by Larrymc; 08-08-2015 at 03:18 PM.