Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Azergoth Quote
I don't think so. I don't think there is a bracketing mode in Interval Shooting Mode (timelapse) and the three images are absolutely identique (copies of each other). Furthermore, the camera does only take a single frame at each time...
IIRC, I had a similar experience when assembling the video in-camera. Depending on interval, this may enhance smoothness, but also may not. You might want to consider assembling the video out-of-camera.

Steve

09-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IIRC, I had a similar experience when assembling the video in-camera. Depending on interval, this may enhance smoothness, but also may not. You might want to consider assembling the video out-of-camera.

Steve
Thanks for your reply :-)
Enhance the smoothness? But... at 24fps, divided by 3 gives 8 fps... How can that be smooth at all?
09-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Enhance the smoothness? But... at 24fps, divided by 3 gives 8 fps... How can that be smooth at all?
I guess smoothness may not be the best word. Think of the case where a participating element may only be present in only one or a few contiguous frames at a time or things like leafy trees in a breeze. The duplicate frames allow the element to be perceived and in the case of the trees, allows them to appear fully leafed, if jerkily so. That being said, I consider that to be a corner case and personally think this should be user-settable with a default of one frame per exposure.

Steve
09-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #19

Original Poster
That being said, I consider that to be a corner case and personally think this should be user-settable with a default of one frame per exposure.

Steve
Yes, at the very least!
But I must be missing something, or a setting! I cannot possibly imagine the engineers at Pentax taking such a decision! And on a semi-pro camera.

I'll try other settings to test other behaviors. Maybe it tries to output a video of e certain length and multiplies each frame by a parameter (and not a constant of three).

And, by the way, has anyone checked if bracketing was available in time lapse mode (movie, not stills).

10-02-2015, 03:52 AM   #20

Original Poster
I've made this little vidéo to show how to "solve" (temporary) the problem. It's not very convenient, but works form me.

10-02-2015, 06:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently did a time lapse for my work with the k3. I ended up doing an interval photo mode, and then creating a mp4 using ffmpeg from the command line - this would work on mac osx or linux (or windows if you're a little stubborn). I found that this gave me the best way to control *exactly* what's going on. Here's the ffmpeg command. Unfortunately I can't post the resulting video, I'll try to do another sometime using this method and post it up here.

ffmpeg -pattern_type glob -i 'IMG*.JPG' -c:v copy timelapse-v2.mp4
10-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've made this little vidéo to show how to "solve" (temporary) the problem. It's not very convenient, but works form me.

https://youtu.be/fVqost2DQSg
Yep...the video shows the problem nicely. Cool music too.

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I recently did a time lapse for my work with the k3. I ended up doing an interval photo mode, and then creating a mp4 using ffmpeg from the command line - this would work on mac osx or linux (or windows if you're a little stubborn). I found that this gave me the best way to control *exactly* what's going on. Here's the ffmpeg command. Unfortunately I can't post the resulting video, I'll try to do another sometime using this method and post it up here.

Take full a control and, well, you get full control

It occurred to me that the time lapse "failure" is sort of a straw man failure. For sure the K-3 implementation should give the option to select the number of duplicates (if any) per frame. OTOH, the feature is not "time-lapse" video. It is "interval movie" which is left virtually undefined. While watching a crew replacing my fence last week, it occurred to me what the feature does best.

Remember Amy (DRabbit) of runaway mirror fame? She makes interval videos of project process professionally. Good examples might be fence replacement, window replacement, or simply showing the process of making/eating breakfast. The typical interval is fairly long, say every 30 seconds or maybe even a couple of minutes. In order for things to make sense when played back, you need frame duplication. The apparent intent is to show essentially show a series of fairly closely-spaced in quick succession. That is what "Interval Movie Record" does very well. What it does not do very well is smooth time-lapse.

As noted, this is not very helpful unless you are doing that sort of documentation or doing stop-motion work or want the jerky behavior for special effect. To illustrate that this approach is not totally unheard of, see this short tutorial on making stop motion video. Adding three duplicates per frame is part of the process:

How to Make Stop-Motion Video Shorts with Your Digital Camera | Photojojo

Perhaps Pentax-Ricoh will provide more flexibility in a future implementation.

Steve

10-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

creating a mp4 using ffmpeg from the command line - this would work on mac osx or linux (or windows if you're a little stubborn).
In Windows you can simply use Windows Movie Maker (free), though perhaps with less control.

Steve
10-02-2015, 11:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It occurred to me that the time lapse "failure" is sort of a straw man failure. For sure the K-3 implementation should give the option to select the number of duplicates (if any) per frame. OTOH, the feature is not "time-lapse" video. It is "interval movie" which is left virtually undefined. While watching a crew replacing my fence last week, it occurred to me what the feature does best.

Remember Amy (DRabbit) of runaway mirror fame? She makes interval videos of project process professionally. Good examples might be fence replacement, window replacement, or simply showing the process of making/eating breakfast. The typical interval is fairly long, say every 30 seconds or maybe even a couple of minutes. In order for things to make sense when played back, you need frame duplication. The apparent intent is to show essentially show a series of fairly closely-spaced in quick succession. That is what "Interval Movie Record" does very well. What it does not do very well is smooth time-lapse.

As noted, this is not very helpful unless you are doing that sort of documentation or doing stop-motion work or want the jerky behavior for special effect. To illustrate that this approach is not totally unheard of, see this short tutorial on making stop motion video. Adding three duplicates per frame is part of the process:

Steve
The problem is that people would probably find all of the options a bit alarming at first. It would be nice if there were more options though - I think by default what you get out of the k3 is pretty cool, but maybe not what you were expecting.

I also wrote a python script to average each consecutive image, so you'd then create a timelapse based on a averaged photos. As suspected, this produced kind of weird results for a time lapse but could be useful.

I did each shot at 1/4 of a second, gave a good motion blur to it.
10-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #25

Original Poster

I know that's the method I used before having my K3. But since it's capable of producing 4k vidéos, I wanted tu use the K3: much smaller files and less processing time.

Steve
The music is...free and provided by Youtube I found it funny to use it. (So its 100% legal! can you believe this? )

About what you say for stop motion: it's totally true!! I've also made a great stop motion timelapse (or how do we call this, now ). But then, why to output a 24 fps movie instead of a 8 fps movie?

The problem is that people would probably find all of the options a bit alarming at first. It would be nice if there were more options though - I think by default what you get out of the k3 is pretty cool, but maybe not what you were expecting.

I also wrote a python script to average each consecutive image, so you'd then create a timelapse based on a averaged photos. As suspected, this produced kind of weird results for a time lapse but could be useful.

I did each shot at 1/4 of a second, gave a good motion blur to it.
Alarming? I don't know... when you see the overwhelming number (which I love) functions of the K3, I don't think the framerate would be that difficult to understand... After all, the K3 is a "pro" body

Hah! It's funny you mention this! I tried to do the same ... in Matlab and also to make a movie where each frame was the average if X previous ones. Pretty cool
10-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #26
Unregistered User

https://youtu.be/fVqost2DQSg
I wondered what was going on with the in camera timelaps videos. Thanks for sharing.
10-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I wondered what was going on with the in camera timelaps videos. Thanks for sharing.
Oh! Thanks I thought I was the only one
01-27-2016, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #28

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

Sorry to reopen this "old post". After a long discussion with Ricoh Imaging (France), they told me the could not reproduce the problem with "their cameras".
Are there people whose camera DOES NOT behave like this? It would be interesting to know.
12-16-2018, 05:01 AM   #29
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for re-opening this. I have the same issue. Does anyone have a out-of-the-box solution?

I'd consider this as a bug and try to do a bugreport.
12-16-2018, 06:34 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Sorry for re-opening this. I have the same issue. Does anyone have a out-of-the-box solution?

I'd consider this as a bug and try to do a bugreport.
No news. I stopped trying to figure out how to solve it when I found the K3 isn’t a good video camera. (Which is il, I’m not a good videographer &#128539

I use my phone or other compact devices to film as the quality is much better.

If you have a solution, I’d be happy to hear it, though, as a like my camera. (Even if the K3 is getting a pretty outdated model!)