Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

K Lenses on K3... Just To Be Sure

So, my K3 is finally here... a quiet "yay!".
And for the time being, I've forbidden all family members any attempts to engage me in conversation or other random household machinations until I say otherwise.

Now, about my K lenses. I think I know the answer but:
On my K30, I had the option of shooting in Av Mode as well as M Mode using Stop Down Metering. On the K3, however, it appears that in Av Mode the aperture remains wide open at all times. I am correct on this or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

08-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
I am correct on this or did I miss something?
Your K-30 and K-3 work essentially the same for non-A contact lenses. The aperture remains open except in m-mode and then only with aperture ring enabled in custom menu settings.

Steve
08-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

And for the time being, I've forbidden all family members any attempts to engage me in conversation or other random household machinations until I say otherwise.

On my K30, I had the option of shooting in Av Mode as well as M Mode using Stop Down Metering. On the K3, however, it appears that in Av Mode the aperture remains wide open at all times. I am correct on this or did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!
If by K lens you mean manual lens with no contacts, then yes, that's correct for the K3, but it should have been that way on the K30 also. Any manual lens K-mount lens without 'A' contacts will only stop down in (M)anual mode.
08-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm speaking of my K 28mm f/3.5... no "M" designation.
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Stop Down Metering works just fine on K3. But in Av Mode, aperture remains open. Not so on my K30. Odd.

08-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thanks in advance!
You're supposed to be in M mode on both cameras. Av is only suitable for M42 lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're supposed to be in M mode on both cameras. Av is only suitable for M42 lenses.
It's hardly an issue, just a curiosity. And though I'm told it should not work on my K30... it does.
Thanks for the answers.
Cheers.
08-12-2015, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I'm speaking of my K 28mm f/3.5... no "M" designation.
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Stop Down Metering works just fine on K3. But in Av Mode, aperture remains open. Not so on my K30. Odd.
Some people purposely don't click the lens in all the way (mount it fully and then back out just a bit) -- in order to be able to stop down in Av mode like you can with an m42 lens (which has no mechanical aperture connection to the body at all). But if properly mounted, a fully manual bayonet K lens should never ever stop down except in M mode.
08-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #8

Original Poster
UGH!!!
I stand (sit) corrected.
You guys are right... I must be tired.
Thanks again and again.

08-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

With the K3 by enabling DOF preview to optical you'll be able to use the exposure bar meter when in manual mode. Use aperture ring enabled. In M mode, activate the DOF preview and the EV meter bars should be active. Set the exposure by turning the aperture ring or the eDial for shutter speed. ISO not set to auto.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-13-2015 at 07:01 AM.
08-13-2015, 02:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

All lenses when using the aperture ring behaves the same here, including A, F and FA-lenses when using the aperture ring away from the 'A' position.
08-13-2015, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

UGH!!!
I stand (sit) corrected.
Good thing! I was starting to think your K-30 is broken!

Steve