Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Canon 7D Mark II (sorry for swearing)

Recently, a photographer colleague of mine (who's heavily invested in Canon), bought the above camera, because he said, A: it's brilliant, and B: it's equally brilliant at videoing, which is important in our line of work. Because he's a professional photographist, I began to think that it's a better camera than our K3-II, and that I should buy one - for work.

However, visiting the many comparison sites on t'internet, 'our' K3-II always comes up on top, even though the Canon has 65 focal points compared to the K3-II's 25, shoots 10 frames per second compared to the K3-II's 8.3, and has 90% more available lenses, plus more.

I'm actually quite glad that 'we' came out on top, but going off the comparisons above, I'm slightly surprised.

I've read on the forum that the video isn't that great on the K3-II, so for the time being I'm going to keep with my old K20 and hold off buying one and wait to see how the FF performs.

08-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the Canon 7D mk II is a pretty awesome camera...
It is also really over priced. If you are heavily invested in the Canon Eco System, and you want to have a pro-level APS-C camera, the 7D Mark 2 is pretty much your only option. Canon knows this and is gouging their customers. I think Canon really stuck it to them in this case.
08-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you shoot a lot of sports, the 7D II is probably worth it. If you shoot most other stuff, in my opinion, the K3 II is a better camera.
08-13-2015, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K3. I rented the 7d mark ii for 2 weeks. I was very happy it did NOT knock my socks off. It made me love my K3 that much more

08-13-2015, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

How come Pentax owners are so obsessed over what other people use for a camera? I could care less what my friend has, for instance. Today, IMHO, it is picking the fly crap out of the pepper comparing digital cameras of roughly the same class.

For example, how many people here shoot a Sony sensor and Sigma glass? Not much of Pentax in the resulting image there, IMHO. But one can always take comfort that only Pentax engineers have that magic pixy dust they apply to the integration of a Sony sensor and everyone just doesn't see it.
08-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian.T Quote
I've read on the forum that the video isn't that great on the K3-II, so for the time being I'm going to keep with my old K20 and hold off buying one and wait to see how the FF performs.
I have the K20D, it's my main camera. The K-3 is superior in every way, but the K20D isn't holding my photographic talents back. If you know what I mean. If I needed a specific feature of the newer camera to the point that my current camera is useless, I'd upgrade. But for now that's not the case, I can work around the more obvious limitations such as low light (I have 4 flashes) and AF performance (I use it within its limitations, I'm a center point guy anyway).

I'm sure I'd get very excited if I had a K-3 but I just can't justify paying for one right now. It's not just the cost of the camera by the way - my computer is not the fastest when it comes to processing RAW files from the K20D, so I'd probably need a new computer (and more disk space) to process the K-3 24MP files. It is what it is.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
How come Pentax owners are so obsessed over what other people use for a camera? I could care less what my friend has, for instance. Today, IMHO, it is picking the fly crap out of the pepper comparing digital cameras of roughly the same class.

For example, how many people here shoot a Sony sensor and Sigma glass? Not much of Pentax in the resulting image there, IMHO. But one can always take comfort that only Pentax engineers have that magic pixy dust they apply to the integration of a Sony sensor and everyone just doesn't see it.
Calm down. The question was asked by someone who has an older camera and is considering upgrading. It was not meant to state any kind of superiority either way. If I understood it correctly, it was more in the form of a question than anything else.

For what it's worth, I think Canon bodies *are* overpriced, and Pentax/Nikon are a much better value for APS-C DSLRs. The K-3 costs $629 right now and the 7D Mk II costs $1499. I'll just leave it at that.
08-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The K-3 costs $629 right now and the 7D Mk II costs $1499. I'll just leave it at that.
There are those who would see that as a sign of superiority of the 7D Mk II. "My camera costs twice as much as yours"..."So your camera must be inferior"...

08-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Today, IMHO, it is picking the fly crap out of the pepper comparing digital cameras of roughly the same class.
What he said. The expectation is similar features and performance with the purchase decision being driven by lens mount, feel/ergonomics/use, price, and whether you like the camera.

Steve
08-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is the internet, which means that it is about comparing stuff. Sports sites do it all the time. "Who was the greatest basketball (or football or hockey) player of all time?" "Who would win between Ronda Roussey and Floyd Mayweather?"

I think most Pentaxians do have a little bit of an inferiority complex, stemming from folks showing up telling them that Canon and Nikon glass is better, Canon and Nikon auto focus is better, Canon and Nikon's full frames are better than even Pentax's medium frame camera. I guess maybe there is a little gloating that goes on over Canon's less than superior DXO Mark sensor scores at this point.

In the end, it is about photography and making images and certainly you can do so with the 7D MK II, although it doesn't seem like a camera targeted for landscape photographers.
08-13-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For the record...Roussey
08-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is the internet, which means that it is about comparing stuff. Sports sites do it all the time. "Who was the greatest basketball (or football or hockey) player of all time?" "Who would win between Ronda Roussey and Floyd Mayweather?"

I think most Pentaxians do have a little bit of an inferiority complex, stemming from folks showing up telling them that Canon and Nikon glass is better, Canon and Nikon auto focus is better, Canon and Nikon's full frames are better than even Pentax's medium frame camera. I guess maybe there is a little gloating that goes on over Canon's less than superior DXO Mark sensor scores at this point.

In the end, it is about photography and making images and certainly you can do so with the 7D MK II, although it doesn't seem like a camera targeted for landscape photographers.
Yes, human nature to do that I suppose. That's why I like photography sites that talk mostly about the pictures instead of gear brand.

Last edited by tuco; 08-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.
08-13-2015, 08:21 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

30 years ago everybody who worked for a big newspaper in the US used Nikon and everybody else were idiots. Fifteen years ago if you didn't have a Canon you were an idiot. I think Pentax people are a little sensitive having been idiots both times. My completely unbiased opinion is that Pentax has always been a great value and historically has been underrated.
08-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

While the 7DII is a fine camera, at USD$1500, if you aren't already invested in Canon, is it really twice as good as a K-3 at USD$750? [B&H pricing today].

While 7DII has strengths as a sports shooter (fps, AF-points, metering), K-3 low-light performance [AF + metering + DxO low-light score] is equal to or better than 7DII, all of which also counts for sports. Pic related:
08-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
While the 7DII is a fine camera, at USD$1500, if you aren't already invested in Canon, is it really twice as good as a K-3 at USD$750? [B&H pricing today].

While 7DII has strengths as a sports shooter (fps, AF-points, metering), K-3 low-light performance [AF + metering + DxO low-light score] is equal to or better than 7DII, all of which also counts for sports. Pic related:
If you actually look at the measurements, they are right on top of each other for SNR and DR (except at base ISO which you probably wont be at much anyway since you want to keep your shutter speed as fast as possible).
08-13-2015, 11:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sure I'd get very excited if I had a K-3 but I just can't justify paying for one right now. It's not just the cost of the camera by the way - my computer is not the fastest when it comes to processing RAW files from the K20D, so I'd probably need a new computer (and more disk space) to process the K-3 24MP files. It is what it is.
I have both a k20 & a k3.
the difference is huge on a variety of things. But all said & done, i have no worries going out with the k20d. It is still such a great camera.