Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 04:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. I think your serial number is within the cameras that needed to be shipped back for servicing.

01-17-2016, 07:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

It happened to me yesterday morning. I was taking pictures in single shot mode continuously when all of a sudden the mirror flapped as if I've use Hi continuous mode. When I released the shutter button the camera stopped. I shot some more pictures after that and it didn't recur. Just to be sure, I went out in the afternoon and shot some more pictures and it didn't recur. I hope that was that. It's different from K-3's mirror flap where you have to remove the battery to turn off the camera.
01-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Pentax needs more improvements in manufacturing QC and after sales service.

They certainly are not Leica where they hand check every camera before it goes out, but the volume for Leica Cameras is much lower...
01-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #19
Pentaxian

When I purchased the k-3II, I thought that they've addressed the issue with the K-3. Maybe now their just using the same parts but just using software to suppress the hardware error. It's sad because if you don't keep your customers unhappy they leave and I think some left because of this problem. If you're a pro, how can you trust a system that at the back of your mind will do a mirror flap and you losing the moment for the picture? I'll say it again, Pentax needs more improvements in manufacturing QC and after sales service.

Last edited by totsmuyco; 01-17-2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
01-18-2016, 04:25 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know that this is the sort of thing that would be able to be checked easily at the factory. The reports seem to be fairly isolated in nature and it isn't like you notice it when you start shooting right after you take the camera out of the box. Biggest thing is if Pentax offers good warranty support and the issue can be fixed quickly and painlessly.
01-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

The problem is, service in my country is really poor. I purchase all Pentax items from Japan so if it recurs, I will have to ship it back. It'll take months again before I can use it. I'm just hoping it doesn't recur. I'll know this weekend. I'll be using it heavily starting Friday and till Sunday.
01-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
It happened to me yesterday morning. I was taking pictures in single shot mode continuously when all of a sudden the mirror flapped as if I've use Hi continuous mode. When I released the shutter button the camera stopped. I shot some more pictures after that and it didn't recur. Just to be sure, I went out in the afternoon and shot some more pictures and it didn't recur. I hope that was that. It's different from K-3's mirror flap where you have to remove the battery to turn off the camera.
This has happened to me a couple of times over 4 years with the K5 - a burst of shots, while the camera is set to single shot mode, which stopped as soon as I took my finger off the button.

I don't think that this is what people refer to as mirror flopping.
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Man, I was suppose to test my k-3II heavily this weekend. Unfortunately, yesterday I sprained my foot in action while taking pictures on the fluvial parade. Now I missed the first day of the 2 day highlight proper of our Dinagyang festival. This festival will really test your camera. The vibrant colors of costumes, the fast and quick movement of the dances and the heavy beating of the drums will really entice you to take pictures. At times you have to shoot in full auto to capture the quick and fast movement of the warriors. Unfortunately, I think I'll also miss it tomorrow. Sad, sad, sad weekend.

01-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Veteran Member

Well, I went out this morning despite my sprained ankle. I shot at high speed (8fps) and shot probably 20 shots of continuous single mode at the end of the festival. So far no recurrence. I pray it doesn't come back to haunt me.