Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

DxO Optics Pro support for K-3 II !

it appears that DxO Optics Pro v10 now supports the Pentax K-3 II (scroll down and select Pentax, then K-3 II)

Supported cameras | www.dxo.com

Michael

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 12:18 PM ----------

could someone with a K-3ii download the eval copy of DxO Optics Pro and validate if it supports pixel shift or not?

Thanks
Michael

08-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do they support pixel shift?

Steve
08-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is no mention on their site. Could someone with a K-3ii download the eval copy of DxO Optics Pro and validate if it supports pixel shift or not?

M

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 12:37 PM ----------

If someone can send me (or point me to) a K-3ii pixel shifted file (preferable an image that has both with and without pixel shift ) then I'll process it in the new version and let you know if it supports pixel shift or not.

M
08-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not just K-3 II but several new profiles for Pentax lenses too!

While we're at it: they've also made available several new lens correction profiles that they didn't use to have, notably DA10-17 Fisheye and DA 20-40 Limited, with one for the upcoming DFA70-200 (erroneously referred to as an 80-200) announced for September 2015.

If they should really include support for pixel-shift files in their K-3 II module, they would have taken some serious steps of keeping Optics Pro up-to-date for Pentax shooters.

08-19-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Still no 645z support, so some way to go to be up to date for some pentax users
08-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
so I downloaded two K-3ii with/without pixel shift DNG images I found on the web -- one was 31mb the other was 114mb -- and while DxO recognized both files, it is clear that it just processes the first file in the archive, not the entire stack. Alas...

Michael
08-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Michael,

How could you tell that noting was done with the other files? I was just playing around with it to see if it worked but I could not determine what it did to the file. With DCU5 you can actually see the files being blended but I could not tell with DXO.
08-19-2015, 05:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
How could you tell that noting was done with the other files? I was just playing around with it to see if it worked but I could not determine what it did to the file. With DCU5 you can actually see the files being blended but I could not tell with DXO.
there was no improvement in noise.
there was no improvement in perceived resolution.
nothing like the sample photos I have seen from Ricoh (which to my eye were significant).

M

08-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried DCU5 with the same files? The difference is very subtle sometimes.
08-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
Forum Member

No K-S2 support yet
09-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What advantages do you find that DXO Optics has over (or with) other image editing programs?
09-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
What advantages do you find that DXO Optics has over (or with) other image editing programs?
Just that it is both allied to the capabilities of a lens and the camera body it is mounted to in ways that are not replicated by other imaging editing programs. It is capable of homogenising images regardless of camera, and also maximisation of any camera's abilities. I do not use it exclusively, but it provides an excellent starting point to then use in Photoshop (for example) just better than random( or even mildly educated) slider tweaking in lightroom before bringing into PS.
09-05-2015, 03:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Optics Pro advantages, in my book at least:

+ Prime (included from versions 9.5 or higher), one of the most effective and detail-preserving noise reduction engines I have seen; similar approach as Tapaz DeNoise in that each image is analysed with regard to its specific noise pattern and then cleaned up accordingly (superior to Lightroom in that respect); Optics Pro is not some kind of miracle cure, but it has made me much more comfortable shooting at high ISOs (say, ISO 3200 with my K-3)
+ powerful one-touch tools/sliders for tonality and contrast adjustments: where in Lighroom I would normally manipulate various sliders (clarity, blacks, shadows, bright parts, highlights) to obtain the tonality/contrast I'm after, in Optics Pro I go for the exposure correction (which can often be left on Smart anyway), set Smart Lighting to my wishes, and am essentially done
+ Optics Pro lets me put special emphasis on sharpening the image borders and corners, thus making up for lens aberrations
+ effective one-click correction of CAs/purple fringing

It's by no means perfect, but it can be used as a plugin along with Lightroom, and it has become a part of my post workflow I wouldn't want to be without.
09-05-2015, 04:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Optics Pro advantages, in my book at least:

+ Prime (included from versions 9.5 or higher), one of the most effective and detail-preserving noise reduction engines I have seen; similar approach as Tapaz DeNoise in that each image is analysed with regard to its specific noise pattern and then cleaned up accordingly (superior to Lightroom in that respect); Optics Pro is not some kind of miracle cure, but it has made me much more comfortable shooting at high ISOs (say, ISO 3200 with my K-3)
+ powerful one-touch tools/sliders for tonality and contrast adjustments: where in Lighroom I would normally manipulate various sliders (clarity, blacks, shadows, bright parts, highlights) to obtain the tonality/contrast I'm after, in Optics Pro I go for the exposure correction (which can often be left on Smart anyway), set Smart Lighting to my wishes, and am essentially done
+ Optics Pro lets me put special emphasis on sharpening the image borders and corners, thus making up for lens aberrations
+ effective one-click correction of CAs/purple fringing

It's by no means perfect, but it can be used as a plugin along with Lightroom, and it has become a part of my post workflow I wouldn't want to be without.
Me to... and DXO Filmpack