Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
shake reduction for movies

G'day.

I have a K3 and can set the Shake Reduction off and on for still photography, but cannot change it in the menu for movies. SR is currently 'off' for movies and I'd like to turn it back on. How do I do that? The setting is 'grayed' out in the 'menu' screen and not selectable.

Thanks if you can help.

Last edited by leehopkins; 08-25-2015 at 09:12 AM.
08-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- Camera in movie mode
- Push info button to display control panel
- Toggle movie SR to suit your needs

Steve
08-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

IMO, it would be better not to use shake reduction in movie mode, it produces a jello affect in both the horizontal and vertical aspects of the frame. Stick it on a tripod!
08-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
IMO, it would be better not to use shake reduction in movie mode, it produces a jello affect in both the horizontal and vertical aspects of the frame. Stick it on a tripod!
Yup, the K-3 only has electronic stabilization in move mode, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

Thanks -- great advice, all.
08-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Still, do try it out.
it works pretty well on a wide angle lens.
could be of use for certain things..

ps: lovely website of yours!

Last edited by grispie; 08-26-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: addition
08-26-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Just to clarify what Adam said re 'electronic'. Unlike the mechanical SR in stills mode (sensor shift) SR in movie mode uses internal software stabilization. The net result is that it will completely ruin your footage, totally. Personally I use an optically stabilized lens or a small hand held rig which minimizes hand shake. Tripod is best where possible which at a pinch a tripod can also work as a hand held stabilizer. Another option is using the camera strap around your neck and pulled to tension.
08-26-2015, 01:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone.

I'm using a Camzilla suction grip to film footage of various drives around the Adelaide hills where I live. So having the footage be as stable as possible is the aim. Opinions?

08-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

If you're recording with the camera rigidly mounted on a vehicle I would strongly advise against using any kind of stabilisation. For such recordings, the framing must follow the motions of the vehicle precisely, and image stabilisation will generally work against this. Instead, make sure the mount is very sturdy and free from vibration. Also avoid high shutter speeds as they make the effects of rolling shutter more visible. Perhaps also consider ballasting the vehicle to soften the ride.
08-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Unlike the mechanical SR in stills mode (sensor shift) SR in movie mode uses internal software stabilization.
This form of electronic stabilization is similar to that used for cell-phone video. FWIW, Pentax is not the only maker that uses electronic SR for video.

The net result is that it will completely ruin your footage, totally
Yes, completely, totally ruined. The edges will be moth-eaten and there will be burnt holes in the main part of the frame. People within the frame will lack eyes and birds will fly backwards.

Six hours later...

Now that the drugs are wearing off, I will expand on the claim. The lack of mechanical SR on current Pentax models is a recurring complaint of some users on this site. Any thread or comment that touches on video SR or suitability of Pentax dSLR video is likely to spawn comments condemning the electronic approach. Opinions and claims on the subject go something like this:
  • Claim: The electronic SR is does not work as well as previous models' mechanical SR.
    This is true. I cannot comment directly since I don't have experience with those cameras. For some, this fact has created feelings that they have been cheated by Ricoh/Pentax.
  • Claim: The electronic SR is so flawed as to be unusable.
    I have not found this to be strictly the case, though when it fails, it fails spectacularly. Introduce a little yaw and prepare to be thoroughly entertained. OTOH, I don't believe the mechanical SR system handles yaw well either. Oh, well...
  • Claim: Adding mechanical SR back into the mix is possible through firmware, but Ricoh is too backward to see the need or value of issuing the upgrade.
    This is speculation and may well be true, though it is also possible that the current electronic SR is baked into the video processor chip by the vendor as a value added feature and not easily circumvented.
  • Comment: Professional users of Pentax video on this site generally beg the question and suggest that real videographers don't use SR. According to them, if you want steady results, provide a steady platform and the rest will follow.
What I would suggest is that you give it a try and decide for yourself how well it works for your use cases. If you don't like the results, there are options. As the Steve mentioned above, he is currently using a Sigma lens that features in-lens optical stabilization. That is cool providing you can find lenses (they are rare in K-mount). Another option is to buy a second used Pentax body that features the old system or buy a Canon (or other) for video and use optically stabilized lenses designed for that brand. I don't believe that any interchangeable lens camera currently available new features non-electronic IBIS for video. The final and most conventional option is to to provide a steady platform ($$-$$$$).

Steve (the other)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-26-2015 at 10:44 PM.
08-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jens Lyn IV Quote
Instead, make sure the mount is very sturdy and free from vibration. Also avoid high shutter speeds as they make the effects of rolling shutter more visible. Perhaps also consider ballasting the vehicle to soften the ride.
Those sound like excellent suggestions.

Steve
08-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This form of electronic stabilization is similar to that used for cell-phone video. FWIW, Pentax is not the only maker that uses electronic SR for video.
Well I don't believe I said anything to the contrary - so it was rather pointless to bring up cell phones. Though some cellphone camera modules actually have optical stabilization, btw.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, completely, totally ruined. The edges will be moth-eaten and there will be burnt holes in the main part of the frame. People within the frame will lack eyes and birds will fly backwards.
Sarcasm aside, it does appear that you haven't actually used a Pentax DSLR for video with digital stabilization enabled. Digital SR is 'just' usable if you hold the camera steady. However, if you walk or move or even attempt to follow some slow moving object, you will have unusable footage result. This isn't opinion, it's just fact.

We all have opinions and are welcome to them, but I do try to post from experience.
08-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

so it was rather pointless to bring up cell phones
I brought up cell phones because it is the lowest common denominator for consumer video.

Sarcasm aside, it does appear that you haven't actually used a Pentax DSLR for video with digital stabilization enabled.
In the interest of accuracy, it appears that you have no idea what I have done and regularly do with my K-3.

We all have opinions and are welcome to them, but I do try to post from experience.
My experience (that from which I posted) does not coincide with yours. Perhaps it is reverse Coriolis effect, you being down-under and all. If you like I can post examples taken walking and/or with moving objects in the frame. Whether the footage is unusable would depend heavily on one's definition of "usable". Whether I adequately challenge the SR system would depend heavily on what one deems reasonable.

I know you have strong opinions on the subject and voice them frequently on this site. That is fine and I respect your opinion. That being said, your assertion above of "total" and "complete" "ruin" is a substantial exaggeration. Never mind that the OP has a K-3 in hand and is in the position to actually test the feature for himself. FWIW, I generally leave video SR turned off. I have a steady hold and smooth gait while shooting and as I noted above, when the SR fails, it can be pretty dramatic.*

Steve (the other)

* What shifted my opinion was doing a slow pan from horizontal to overhead and having a wall "jump" a 1/4 frame to the right during the pan. The SR uses inertial sensors along with real time scene evaluation. Unfortunately the inertial sensors may misinterpret camera motion, even very smooth camera motion, that involves yaw or change of pitch.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-27-2015 at 12:10 PM.
08-27-2015, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

As I said, my experience has led me to the conclusion I make about MovieSR. As far as I am concerned "total" and "complete" "ruin" is as accurate as it gets.
I do apologise for making the comment about yours though, I misread your earlier post.
08-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #15

Original Poster
Gentlemen,

All of your comments are valid in my newbie eyes, so thank you. Much to ponder but it does seem like not using SR in movie mode will save me a lot of hassles.

Thank you again, all, for your considered opinions and advice.

Mwah