Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green Button

Hello guys
With my K20D I can use the Green Button when the camera is set to X - for the shortest flash shutter speed.
This can ensure a proper bacground exposure. I may then choose a smaller aperture for improved DOF.

On my K-3 this doesn't happen.
The Green Button has no function in the X-setting !!!!

Is this supposed to be like this?
Can I change the way the Green Button works?
Or is my K-3 not functioning right?

Answers are greatfully appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Jens

08-29-2015, 03:35 AM   #2

on my k10 (think the same is with your k20) in x-sync mode the green button is set to "Av shift" whereas on my k3 it has no function by default. you can change this behaviour via "e-dial programming" see shooting settings fourth page.
08-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
Hello guys
With my K20D I can use the Green Button when the camera is set to X - for the shortest flash shutter speed.
This can ensure a proper bacground exposure. I may then choose a smaller aperture for improved DOF.

On my K-3 this doesn't happen.
The Green Button has no function in the X-setting !!!!

Is this supposed to be like this?
Can I change the way the Green Button works?
Or is my K-3 not functioning right?

Answers are greatfully appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Jens
On the K-3 the X sync green button can be customized to perform AV shift but not shutter speed compensation. I checked the manuals for both the K10 and the K20D both manuals say the same as the K-3 manual. When set to X sync the shutter speed is fixed at 1/180s. on my K-50, which doesn't have a mode dial selection for X sync the green button will slow the sync speed to a speed lower than the 1/180s X sync speed when the flash is popped up. Now if you set the K-3 to AV,TAV,M or P mode and pop up the flash then hit the green button the camera will compensate to a slower shutter speed. There you go its still there it just works a bit differently than you described. Additionally the green button functions the same as it does with a shoe mounted flash, I just checked it with my Sigma EF 610 DG Super.

Last edited by Larrymc; 08-29-2015 at 08:37 AM.
08-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, there is a Av shift option - so I eventually found out - in the programming e-wheel menu.
All is good.

Except my camea has a fault: In Tv mode it shifts to Program line shutter speed as soon as I press the release button.
This is definitely NOT suppoed to be like this. Actually there's no Tv mode anymore :-)

Regards
Jens

08-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Except my camea has a fault: In Tv mode it shifts to Program line shutter speed as soon as I press the release button.
This is definitely NOT suppoed to be like this. Actually there's no Tv mode anymore :-)
Truly? Tv mode should always use the set speed or 1/180s when using flash. Without flash it should always respect the set shutter speed.

If your camera is new, it may be time to take it back to your dealer.

Steve
08-29-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is my much loved K-3 due for repair?
I found out that the Tv mode works like this: If I set the speed to 1/250 and there's not enouht light for the largest aperture, the speed will shift to what ever is long enough for the max aperure - like 1.8.
I don't like this. I did believe, that 1/250 should be held no matter what...
Is this shift surposed to be like this - or what????
I usually use my Sony ILCE-6000 for casual shooting. And My K-3 for professional work. My Sony will keep the 1/250 in Tv mode no matter what. And that's nice :-)
Regards Jens
08-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Truly? Tv mode should always use the set speed or 1/180s when using flash. Without flash it should always respect the set shutter speed.
It's probably because the flash is discharged so it switches to Program Line. Once the flash is recharged it switches back to flash sync speed. At least that's what my K10D does.
08-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Is my much loved K-3 due for repair?
I found out that the Tv mode works like this: If I set the speed to 1/250 and there's not enouht light for the largest aperture, the speed will shift to what ever is long enough for the max aperure - like 1.8.
I don't like this. I did believe, that 1/250 should be held no matter what...
Is this shift surposed to be like this - or what????
I usually use my Sony ILCE-6000 for casual shooting. And My K-3 for professional work. My Sony will keep the 1/250 in Tv mode no matter what. And that's nice :-)
Regards Jens
Custom Menu1 - option 6 AutoEV compensation -set to 1 - OFF if you do not want the shutter speed to change as above - you have it set to ON at the moment I suspect

08-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, Stephen. Thats exactly right. Thanks a lot.
Regards
Jens
08-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Now if you set the K-3 to AV,TAV,M or P mode and pop up the flash then hit the green button the camera will compensate to a slower shutter speed.
This is not true on my K-3 (firmware v1.11).

Shutter speed with flash:
  • Av - 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light
  • TAv - lower of 180s or set speed
  • M - lower of 180s or set speed
  • P - 1/180s or lower
  • HyperManual (P mode override) - lower of 180s or set speed
The general behavior for all automated modes is to balance ambient light against the flash

Default green button with flash:
  • Av - nothing
  • TAv - program line for flash (shutter = 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light)
  • M - program line for flash (shutter = 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light)
  • P - nothing
  • HyperManual (P mode override) - program line for flash (shutter = 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light)

Note: There might be some odd setting that I have made somewhere that would affect the above, but I am unaware of any such.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-29-2015 at 02:28 PM.
08-30-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not true on my K-3 (firmware v1.11).

Shutter speed with flash:
  • Av - 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light
  • TAv - lower of 180s or set speed
  • M - lower of 180s or set speed
  • P - 1/180s or lower
  • HyperManual (P mode override) - lower of 180s or set speed
The general behavior for all automated modes is to balance ambient light against the flash

Default green button with flash:
  • Av - nothing
  • TAv - program line for flash (shutter = 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light)
  • M - program line for flash (shutter = 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light)
  • P - nothing
  • HyperManual (P mode override) - program line for flash (shutter = 1/180s or lower depending on ambient light)

Note: There might be some odd setting that I have made somewhere that would affect the above, but I am unaware of any such.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I'm using 1.21 and mine operates a bit like yours except in P pushing the green button compensates to 1/180 or lower depending on ambient light. The OPs initial post was about X sync and the use of the green button which on the K-3 the green button is disabled in X sync mode.

Larry