Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,432
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Am i missing something here?
Nope, your perception is correct. There is a time gap between shutter events in single shot mode where the shutter will not respond. The conventional solution is to set the drive mode to continuous-high and be light with the shutter presses.


Steve


Last edited by stevebrot; 08-29-2015 at 03:05 PM.
08-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #17
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,432
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
awesome!! thanks!
One of the first things one learns on the K-3 is that there are many ways to do cool things. Folder-level delete is one of them and very, very handy.


Steve
08-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,267
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope, your perception is correct. There is a time gap between shutter events in single shot mode where the shutter will not respond. The conventional solution is to set the drive mode to continuous-high and be light with the shutter presses.


Steve
This is your solution. It seems in single shot mode it doesn't buffer the shoot, you regain control when the process is done. Set to continuous mode, select slow rate, and practice taking one shot. Works fine.
08-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #19
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Wilsonville
Photos: Albums
Posts: 226
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
One of the first things one learns on the K-3 is that there are many ways to do cool things. Folder-level delete is one of them and very, very handy.


Steve
This is available in K-30/50 as well and possibly other models.

08-29-2015, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Banned




Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 390
QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
This is available in K-30/50 as well and possibly other models.

Also on the K-20, which is where I first learned of it. You can also delete a group of folders, if you have more than one, in the same way you can delete a selection of photos in a given folder.
08-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #21
Senior Member
Bromberger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 122
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
2. I have a 32GB card, empty. The camera claims i have capacity for 602 RAWs left.
But my calculations say i should have 998 RAWs left. (If you want to do the math yourself: My pc says the card has a capacity of 32.099.008.512 bytes. The average size of the RAWs i've shot so far is 32.138.240 bytes per RAW. The card's a "Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3)
Any ideas?
Still, this one problem remains unsolved. Does anybody have a 32GB card and would be so kind to tell me how many shots left the camera displays when the card is empty?
08-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Still, this one problem remains unsolved. Does anybody have a 32GB card and would be so kind to tell me how many shots left the camera displays when the card is empty?
16gb 286
32gb 598. Both sandisk extreme pro.

Both freshly formatted in camera.
08-31-2015, 04:23 AM   #23
Senior Member
Bromberger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 122
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
32gb 598.
Thank you!
So at least now i know i didn't buy a defective card, thanks!

Maybe the camera is just guessing wrong and when you actually shoot, 1000 pictures will fit on the camera? I just don't want to do 1000 actuations just to test this :-) i will find out on the next shooting i guess

08-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,684
> Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3)

A Class 3 card has to be slowing the camera terribly. IME, Kingston cards are slower than others in the first place. Most people are using Class 10 cards in a K-3, preferably with advanced write speeds.

I leave my K-3 set for Low Continuous burst for general shooting. My normal shutter release action results in a single photo. For portraits I like Medium burst and I take a few shots with each shutter press. Discard the rest later.
08-31-2015, 05:39 AM   #25
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 120
QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
2. I have a 32GB card, empty. The camera claims i have capacity for 602 RAWs left. But my calculations say i should have 998 RAWs left. (If you want to do the math yourself: My pc says the card has a capacity of 32.099.008.512 bytes. The average size of the RAWs i've shot so far is 32.138.240 bytes per RAW. The card's a "Kingston SDA3/32GB SDHC/SDXC 32GB Ultra High-Speed", UHS-I Class 3) Any ideas?

My K-r says that I have around 1500 raw files for empty 32GB card. But that is not true. I know I can fit around 2500 of them (raws). I noticed that for example if camera says that I have 500 imgs left, I fire one, and it still says 500, and if I take another one it says I have 499 images left. Depends on actual image size. Sometimes if it is low iso I have to take 3 pictures before the counter drops by 1. Therefore I concluded to myself that the image counter is some sort of an estimate. And mathematically, 32GB card holds 32000MB (32 times 1000 instead of 1024), and since average RAW size for K-r is from 8-15MB (lets make it 12.5) that's roughly 2500 images, 1000 more than camera predicted at the start. I didn't dwell into FAT32/NTFS sizes (since my camera accepts only FAT32) and default allocation sizes. Just standard multiplying and dividing. But still, I hope you understand.

Maybe that is the case for other Pentax cameras too, I do not know.

Last edited by zvon; 08-31-2015 at 05:55 AM.
08-31-2015, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio (formerly SF Bay Area)
Posts: 1,491
QuoteOriginally posted by zvon Quote
Maybe that is the case for other Pentax cameras too, I do not know.
Yes, that's right. Image files will be all different sizes depending on compressibility (which is in turn dependent upon image content, ISO/noise, etc.), so the camera gives essentially a "worst case" estimate.

I have always been able to fit a lot more shots than the initial empty-card estimate, often 50% more. As you get closer and closer to full, however, the number will be closer and closer to correct -- the camera continuously recalculates the number based upon actual free space, not prior shots vs. remaining shots. So if the camera says you have three shots left, believe it!
08-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #27
Senior Member
Bromberger's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 122
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
A Class 3 card has to be slowing the camera terribly. Most people are using Class 10 cards in a K-3, preferably with advanced write speeds.
Hey Audiobomber,
they introduced new classes. An UHS Class 3 card is faster than a (non-UHS) Class 10 card. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_class_rating

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I leave my K-3 set for Low Continuous burst for general shooting. My normal shutter release action results in a single photo. For portraits I like Medium burst and I take a few shots with each shutter press. Discard the rest later.
Yes, that's how i will do it from now on.
Thank you!
Bromberger
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
access, af, button, camera, capacity, card, custom, dslr, k-3, k3, lens, menu, mode, pentax, pentax k-3, photos, pictures, press, questions, raws, shutter, trash
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New GR user with a few questions. odinkos Ricoh GR 6 07-08-2015 03:28 PM
New to forum a DSLR with few questions. gastch Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 11-06-2014 09:21 PM
Doubting about the Pentax K3, just a few questions Photographykn Pentax K-3 35 10-02-2014 08:17 AM
A few questions for new K-3 users bdery Pentax K-3 9 11-12-2013 09:17 AM
A few questions from new user lacro Pentax Q 11 01-14-2013 06:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top