Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is K3II worse than Nikon D7200 on Studio scene

ON the DP review studio scene
Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

the D7200 has better resolution than the K3II,even with pixel shift..all in Raw format, is it the lens they are using on Pentax which is not optimal? or is Nikon so much better? only have K3II so can't do a real world test

09-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like that DA* 55 needs some AF adjustment with that K3 II body.
09-02-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks like the DA 55/1.4 is softer in the lower-right corner than the Nikon 50/1.4G. In the upper-right corner the Pentax lens seem slightly sharper than the Nikon. In the center of the image they look similar, and the Pentax is resolving more detail in Pixel-Shift mode.

I'm not seeing the problem.
09-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
ON the DP review studio scene
Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

the D7200 has better resolution than the K3II,even with pixel shift..all in Raw format, is it the lens they are using on Pentax which is not optimal? or is Nikon so much better? only have K3II so can't do a real world test
The corners are absolute crap on the Nikon sample.

You bought the K-3II already, buyers remorse or just wanting to justify a decision you already must have made??

09-02-2015, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nikon slightly better. The difference between full frame and apsc is more noticeable. In real shooting conditions, this makes no valuable difference, since most photos will remain stored on a hard drive and displayed on a LCD display that has not even 6Mpixel resolution. That being said, pixel peeping is definitely a great thing to do to make people feel that their current camera is not as good as the newly released camera model and that they should consider buying a new one...ah ah ah ! If you zoom in to 100% a 80Mpixels image from a 80Mpixels Phase One XF that's priced $50000, you'll find that it's not so sharp (unless you've got a retina display which make any photo look better than on standard LCD screen). Pixel peeping also works for selling lenses, people wanting the other lens to get this little tiny better sharpness at 100% crop, end up having 10 lenses that have nearly no discernible difference in practice, but the good thing for the camera vendor is that his customer spent a total of $6000 to purchase all those lenses , while he could have spent only $1500 on selected good lenses for practically the same results.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-02-2015 at 11:37 PM.
09-03-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

ON the DP review studio scene Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review
The sony A7R II is on a whole new league K3 II and D7200 are same-same

Last edited by redcat; 09-03-2015 at 01:15 AM.
09-03-2015, 01:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
DP review studio scene
Once again, I wish DPR would use the same lens [ie the Sigma 70mm] across cameras for their studio tests, like Imaging Resource does.
09-03-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

They are super-close in most of the image, with or without pixel shift. I do think that luftluss is correct in that the right lower portion of the pentax image does look soft, maybe indicating some decentering of the lens. Odd thing to me is that I see very little difference in these images between the pixel shifted image and the non-pixel shifted image. Whereas when imaging resource tested it, the difference was pretty clear.

09-03-2015, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

I suggest look at the better planned comparison shoot by Imaging Resource.
Pentax K-3 II Review: Now Shooting! - Pixel Shift Resolution mode

DPR is just trolling.
Conveniently a 'new DA55' for the K3II studio test.
Its a portrait orientated 55mm lens with lens even flat field sharpness. (the mtf performance is very avaliable on the internet that I don't think they can be unaware or did not do the due diligence to find out)

Anyway, its another 'I am a 'loser' because some camera beat me for this and that' complaint.
So?
Jump ship to the winner?
next year jump again to the next latest and greatest?

I'm sure there's more to a camera/system than that.
09-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
The corners are absolute crap on the Nikon sample.

You bought the K-3II already, buyers remorse or just wanting to justify a decision you already must have made??
No buyer's remorse,I know what the K3ii can do, just happened to look at that page & wondered why the diff.
mostly the lower rt is not sharp, compared to Nikon. Just alot use DPR, & they should use the same lens on all cams, for a more fair comparison
09-03-2015, 06:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Probably Nikon's better. However, that doesn't mean the k-3II is bad. When I went into Pentax, I had my own reasons. And, up to now, my reasons are the same. We win some battles and we lose some. No amount of putting the system down will make me jump ship. The only time I'll shift would be the same reason I left Olympus, they killed the mount. So as long as there is life in the k mount, I'm staying.
09-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

This kind of nitpicking gets you exactly nowhere...

From Imagine Resources......
Uncropped

Pixel peeper

While I have no doubt you think you see something... your time is better spent taking pictures. Using one camera or the other, you just aren't going to see a difference.
09-03-2015, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This kind of nitpicking gets you exactly nowhere...
Exactly!
What Norm's example proves is that, of the 2 pictures taken on that day with those two camera and lens exemplars, of that scene, as set up and focused by that tester, the Nikon version looks a bit sharper to some.
So, as a practical matter, nothing useful has been accomplished.
If the same lens, not just the same brand and model, but the same individual specimen is not used on both cameras then any such test is meaningless. People tend to use the results of flawed tests like that the way drunks use light posts. More for support than for illumination.

Let's say we put a standard eye chart at a hundred yards.
One person using Nikon binoculars, can read the smallest line and another person, using Pentax binoculars, can only read down to the second smallest line. Does that mean that:

A. Nikon binoculars are better than Pentax?
or
B. the eyes (sensors) of the person using the Nikon are better than those of the person using Pentax?

If, in a test involving only one person and only one example of each brand, that person, using Nikon binoculars, can read the smallest line; but using Pentax binoculars he can only read the second smallest line. The best that could be concluded is that that particular Nikon sample is better than that particular Pentax sample.
If testing of multiple Nikon and Pentax samples by a single person yields the same results in each case then, and only then, would it be reasonable to state that Nikon binoculars are better than Pentax.
Any comparison test that involves only one sample of each item is of very limited value.
Any comparison test that involves more than one variable (e.g. 1 camera with one lens and another camera with a different lens ) is of no value whatsoever.

EDIT: I should also add that the results of any test involving DPR and Pentax are, well, let's just say DPR can be very creative.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-03-2015 at 09:53 AM.
09-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
EDIT: I should also add that the results of any test involving DPR and Pentax are, well, let's just say DPR can be very creative.
Hmm. Like the K-3 somehow scoring 2% points lower than the D7100.

K-3
QuoteQuote:
Conclusion - Cons
  • Disappointing JPEG color response
  • Rather clumsy JPEG sharpening (slightly improved by changing to 'Fine' sharpening)
  • Many lenses don't appear to live up to camera's full autofocus potential
  • Video quality not up to standards implied by inclusion of mic and headphone jacks
  • SD-based Wi-Fi not as well integrated as its best rivals
D7100
QuoteQuote:
Conclusion - Cons
  • Small image buffer severely limits burst capacity in Raw-enabled modes
  • Slow AF in live view and video modes (compared to mirrorless APS-C cameras)
  • No real-time aperture adjustment preview in live view
  • Noticeably soft video output
  • In video mode, the 1.3x crop setting produces upsampled output
  • No aperture control in video mode
  • When shooting in live view, rear screen is blacked out until data is written to the card
  • Maximum magnifications in image playback show pixelated output
09-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Hmm. Like the K-3 somehow scoring 2% points lower than the D7100.
Yep. That's a good example.