Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

K3 II shutter doesn't stop firing

I bought my K3-II a couple of months ago and have only taken a few hundred shots so far. Yesterday, in the course of a walk in nice weather and a the point of taking another picture, the shutter started rattling away without stopping. The camera wouldn't power off the normal way and I eventually had to remove the battery to put it to a halt. The drive mode was on Continuous (H). After refitting the battery, the camera performed normally and I have used it for another day without trouble. The serial number of my camera is 6189049, which means it may a have an issue refusing to power off, but I gather that is a different story.
Of course I find this very disturbing ! Anyone else with the same problem ?

09-06-2015, 08:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by decpi Quote
Anyone else with the same problem ?
I wonder if searching would turn up anything...

Do you have the latest firmware?
09-06-2015, 08:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There are no firmware updates for the K3ii as of yet.

If your serial number is in the service advisory range send it in for service or have it replaced by the seller if still possible.
09-06-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone else with the same problem ?
I believe I have seen one other report of runaway shutter on the K-3II. If the camera is new, contact your seller for replacement. Otherwise, contact Ricoh for warranty service/replacement.

Steve

09-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought my K3-II a couple of months ago and have only taken a few hundred shots so far. Yesterday, in the course of a walk in nice weather and a the point of taking another picture, the shutter started rattling away without stopping. The camera wouldn't power off the normal way and I eventually had to remove the battery to put it to a halt. The drive mode was on Continuous (H). After refitting the battery, the camera performed normally and I have used it for another day without trouble. The serial number of my camera is 6189049, which means it may a have an issue refusing to power off, but I gather that is a different story.
Of course I find this very disturbing ! Anyone else with the same problem ?
This is the so-called mirror flop issue. Just do a battery pull and hopefully it doesn't happen again, but as Steve said seek service if it turns out to be a recurring problem (i.e. not just due to bad luck/low voltage).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Man you are scaring me. My k-3II is coming this September. Actually I wanted an additional K-5IIs but it's no longer available. I skipped the k-3 because of this. I hope mine will be fine as I specifically asked for a camera with the serial number above what was stated by Pentax.