Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 12:25 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
update 9/18 Precision website claimed repair delay. I called them back. I was told the camera is being sent back to me un-repaired and is not covered under warranty.
They stated the camera is corroded beyond repair. Hmmm.
The camera has never been under water and has only been in a trickle of rain a couple of times. Compared to my k-5 and k-10d both of which have been in torrential downpours and never an issue.

I called Ricoh and had a very reassuring conversation with their tech support. They said they will have it shipped directly to Ricoh corporate and look into it.
They also stated that it was quite unusual.

So it looks like I will be patient and wait and see
Joe

09-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #32
Veteran Member

If they are claiming it is corroded they better give you proof in pictures. Usually that is a precursor to denying a legitimate warranty claim. Don't let that happen. Good luck.
09-23-2015, 01:06 AM   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Corroded?

Um, aren't these cameras weather sealed?

Another member here, Heie, has posted videos of him shoveling dirt and sand over his K5 and K7 cameras and lenses, then rinsing them off in the shower.

In the desert.

In Afghanistan.

This young man has carried his Pentax cameras all over the world, making great photographs. If memory serves, he now has a K3.

If there was moisture in your camera that caused corrosion, it was sealed in during the final assembly of the camera at the factory.
09-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible that you went out in the snow and had removed your camera too early before it reached room temperature? Or probably you're normally in a cold room and would take out your camera causing moisture to occur. That would probably be one of the reasons for moisture and corrosion. Just a thought.

09-23-2015, 07:30 AM   #35

Original Poster
Ha ha, No snow in Florida lately and I hate air conditioning.
Joe
09-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Then probably your camera is really defective. danny09 is right. You should ask for pictures of the corroded parts.
09-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #37

Original Poster
It's been two weeks since they told me they are going to return my camera unfixed. They are just now shipping it back to me.

I also signed up for email notifications. I have not received one email since I've sent it in. So please don't expect to see any emails.
You have to be proactive and go directly to their site for updates.
Joe

10-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
I called Ricoh and had a very reassuring conversation with their tech support. They said they will have it shipped directly to Ricoh corporate and look into it.
They also stated that it was quite unusual.
I was wrong about this. I am sending it back to precision so their expert can re-evaluate and send pictures to Ricoh. What was precision doing with my camera for the last 2 weeks, I don't know!
Oyy.
Joe
10-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I was wrong about this. I am sending it back to precision so their expert can re-evaluate and send pictures to Ricoh. What was precision doing with my camera for the last 2 weeks, I don't know!
Oyy.
Joe

I offset the idea that I basically have a 2nd rate warranty repair center (compared to Canon and Nikon) by the fact that I can get a new K3 for less than $650. As a professional, instead of having say a Canon 7D Mark II and a 70D to shoot weddings ($2250) and get fast repair service should I need it, I can have 3.5 - K3's or 2 K3's and a K3II and if one needs to be repaired just replace it if Precision wants too much.

But that's the economics of pro shooting where the gear is actually the cheap part. (I'm spending $2500 on a 2 day bridal show this month as an example.)

Having said all that a warranty is a warranty and Ricoh should do the right thing once they get their brains around it. Again part of the problem of letting a 3rd party do your repairs, it takes longer to get things sorted out.
10-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
As a professional, instead of having say a Canon 7D Mark II and a 70D to shoot weddings ($2250) and get fast repair service should I need it, I can have 3.5 - K3's or 2 K3's and a K3II and if one needs to be repaired just replace it if Precision wants too much.
I agree . If I were a professional it would be cost effective to use pentax in most cases.
I would buy a new body every year and it would be considered a minimal business expense.
Since this is just a hobby to me and I have backup cameras(K-5 k-10d). It really isn't a big deal as long as they eventually make it right .
But it is frustrating dealing with the silly nonsense (It takes me a good year to save up for a new camera or lens)

Buying a new camera instead of a lens I want because they can not repair a camera is crazy
I like pentax cameras and I do not want to switch. So I guess the answer is vent on pentax forum and suck it up.
Joe
10-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Send close up photos of your own to pentax usa (copy Precision) showing NO corrosion and tell them you will sue them for consumer fraud. I bet you will get satisfaction shortly. Now, if you cannot show zero corrosion, well, then you have no case to stand on.
10-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #42

Original Poster
On the outside the camera is pristine. The battery contacts look ok too.
It's a wait and see game. I am trying not to think about the what if's.
Joe
10-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #43
Veteran Member

On the outside the camera is pristine. The battery contacts look ok too.
It's a wait and see game. I am trying not to think about the what if's.
Joe

I'm pretty sure Ricoh will make it right, it's just going to take a bit of time for them to deal with it. It's all just part of being a Pentaxian...
10-03-2015, 01:04 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Well that's bad service. I remembered I had to have a quarrel with the authorized dealer here over my Olympus which I sent for service but wanted to have it pulled out. 2 weeks became 2 months and later it became 10. A lady before me was so pissed that she also threatened to report them to DTI if she didn't get her k-500 back. And it took her 9 months to get it.

If you guys are screaming for better service, I had to threaten people here to return what's mine. Can you imagine that! And Pentax cameras are made here in the Philippines. Pentax in my honest opinion is a good system. That's why I went here when Olympus killed the 4/3 mount. The reason I'm sticking out with Pentax is I like the system and I've invested in it. It's a joke because I don't buy cameras here where it's being made because I'm afraid of the service. I buy it from Japan.

If Pentax wants to move up the ranks of canikony, they should really improve on there service. It's awful.
10-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #45
mee
Veteran Member

It almost makes sense to just buy a 3rd party extended warranty instead of the 2 year extra Pentax branded one.. my thinking is, after the first year of ownership (and thus the initial warranty expires), you might get better service with a 3rd party.

I had one on a Sigma lens that essentially read as if they'd just cut me a check for the value of the lens (with proof of price) if it went kaput (including spills and drops)... I'd rather just buy a new one than deal with Precision, CRIS, or I think any other outsourced repair facility.

What Pentax really needs, much more than a FF digital body and more lenses, is a top notch repair facility ran by Ricoh/Pentax themselves. A dedicated repair site just for Pentax and operated by Pentax. Even if they have to increase the cost by 10% across the board to fund it.. the extra cost would be worth it!!!