Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #1

Another Green Button Thread

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My legendary 30mm f/2.8 lens arrived the other day. Excited to test it out, I reached for my K30 and not the better in every other way, K3.
Why?
Because I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GREEN BUTTON PLACEMENT ON THE K3.
I do.

I'm a left eye shooter (as I know a number of you are) and user of M & K lenses 99% of the time. The rubber cushion of the eyecup rests just at my brow. That's how I do it.

Stop down metering requires me to focus, change my grip and move slightly away from the view finder to get my thumb into the game, press the green button, then check my focus or refocus since I've moved slightly, press shutter button. Street photography is a nightmare for me now. Constantly changing light and fast moving subjects used to be a no-brainer when the button was right next to my index finger.

Why, Pentax... why?!
Just sharing.

09-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you do a gray card test and set your exposure manually? Have you tried using an alternate eyecup like one of the older round ones that is deeper? Can you use a magnifying eyepiece or an LCD viewer and use LiveView? Could you use M42 style aperture by modifying your lenses so they stop down all the time and use Av mode?

Just spitballing some thoughts that might help you get back to enjoying shooting the amazing K3.
09-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah K30 rocks for old lenses and 16 mp is enough, right ?
09-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #4

Although I am right-handed and "right-eyed" I've trained myself to use the left eye and keeping both eyes open. When using a monocular microscope or telescope this is a must to reduce eye strain. Perhaps you can train your right eye.

Button placement can't be helped unfortunately unless you can customize the functions.

09-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
I ABSOLUTELY HATE THE GREEN BUTTON PLACEMENT ON THE K3.
As a left-eye shooter, I agree. Green button placement went wrong with the K-7 / K-5 / K-3 design. Poor ergonomics - crowded location, tiny button.

K200D and K-x green-button placement was much better. I think designs like the K-3 had room up top to put the green button up there if the designers wanted to. Now that we are stuck with the K-3 hardware design, Pentax should at least make the green-button assignable in software to something like the RAW/Fx button on cameras like the K-3.
09-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you do a gray card test and set your exposure manually? Have you tried using an alternate eyecup like one of the older round ones that is deeper? Can you use a magnifying eyepiece or an LCD viewer and use LiveView? Could you use M42 style aperture by modifying your lenses so they stop down all the time and use Av mode?

Just spitballing some thoughts that might help you get back to enjoying shooting the amazing K3.
Hello, UncleVanya.
Your last suggestion I'm unfamiliar with, but it sounds intriguing. I'm wondering if it's similar to a modification I made to my Porst lens so that I could use it in Av mode.

Details? Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added 09-12-15 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As a left-eye shooter, I agree. Green button placement went wrong with the K-7 / K-5 / K-3 design. Poor ergonomics - crowded location, tiny button.

K200D and K-x green-button placement was much better. I think designs like the K-3 have the room up top to put the green button back up there. Or the green-button should be able to be assigned to something like the RAW/Fx button on cameras like the K-3.
Yes! Or the DoF preview lever should perform both functions.
09-12-2015, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Green button lost out to the AF button, which is placed perfectly on the K3. I couldn't use it on the K5 without pressing another button. Manual focus green button shooters lose to autofocus new lens purchasers.

09-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
Yeah K30 rocks for old lenses and 16 mp is enough, right ?
The K30 indeed rocks, which is why it took me so long to buy the K3. It simply wasn't urgent until one day when the price was right on B&H. However, I have to say that the photographs I've made with the K3 have a texture and clarity that was instantly apparent. A colleague of mine owns a Leica M9 + 28 Summicron ASPH F2, and after shooting with my K3 + K 28mm f/3.5 lens for a couple of hours, he simply said, "wow."

It really is just that good. Damn green button, though.
09-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Forum Member

Get yourself the lil pentax magnifier - Pentax Magnifying Camera Eyepiece 1.2x: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo. It sticks out from the camera more than the default stuff allowing enough space for your thumb. Works a treat both for the intended purpose as well as green button access.
09-12-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure what is required but I have seen Nikon and Pentax modified this way. I suspect someone will pop in that might have an idea of what is required.
09-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Imp
Pentaxian

Isn't the green button on the k-3 in the same place as the back button AF button on the k-30? Because i use back button af all the time on my k-30, and it works just fine
09-12-2015, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #12

thank you strangeboy, i feel the same way about the green button.
i just got the K3 two weeks ago and i'm hoping i will get used to the placement over time.
right now, i just cant feel the Back-AF-button and the green button, they don't pretrude enough.
Right now i'm trying to use the back wheel for orientation, the AF button is to its right, the green button underneath.
09-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Isn't the green button on the k-3 in the same place as the back button AF button on the k-30? Because i use back button af all the time on my k-30, and it works just fine
No. Green button is on top of K30.
09-12-2015, 07:38 PM   #14
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by strangeboy Quote
No. Green button is on top of K30.
and... you misread what i wrote
09-12-2015, 09:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
It looks to me like the green button on the k3 is a bit further towards the center of the camera than the back button af button on the k30. It also might be slightly higher than the af button on the k30. Both of these small differences and the extra width of the k3 might explain why it is harder to use this button on the k3 than the af button in the k30.