Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

K3ii ISO setting

I just bought a K3ii after years with a K-30.

One of the features I used regularly on the K-30 was to set the ISO on a range of 100 to 300. Then set my mode wheel to TAv to set aperture and shutter speed. The camera would always pick the best ISO setting in the range I set.

I do not see this setting anywhere on the K3 anywhere. Am I missing something or is it just not available.

First impressions of the K3 is that my pictures are much better, AF is faster, burst mode is way better. But the major thing I was hoping for was better noise control. I can see the noise improvement out to 800 as seen in reviews and sample pictures, but I do not want to set my ISO at 800 as the default setting. I would rather set a range like on the K-30.

Any suggestions.

09-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Singinman Quote

One of the features I used regularly on the K-30 was to set the ISO on a range of 100 to 300. Then set my mode wheel to TAv to set aperture and shutter speed. The camera would always pick the best ISO setting in the range I set.

I do not see this setting anywhere on the K3 anywhere. Am I missing something or is it just not available.

First impressions of the K3 is that my pictures are much better, AF is faster, burst mode is way better. But the major thing I was hoping for was better noise control. I can see the noise improvement out to 800 as seen in reviews and sample pictures, but I do not want to set my ISO at 800 as the default setting. I would rather set a range like on the K-30.

Any suggestions.
Press the INFO button on the rear of the camera. You'll see on the rear LCD the option to change the ISO high and low boundaries.
09-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Any suggestions.
Once you've set the boundaries via the control panel as described above, if you're not in TAv mode you can press the ISO button and the green button at the same time to toggle auto ISO within the specified range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you

Adam & Ichabod, thank you. Once I saw the indo screen on the display, I remembered that I had seen it before and had actually set the ISO range from 100 to 800 based on sample pictures I has seen.

My first field test-pictures of a green heron in poor light on an early overcast morning (early being 8AM) all came in at ISO 800. Most were OK two or three were pretty sharp right out of the camera. My next field test turned out to be another green heron in breeding colors (in September?). These pictures were also ISO 800 and all were way too noisy. The pictures were taken about an hour before sunset, sky was clear, bird was front lit.

I will try again on my bird shots.

09-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Adam & Ichabod, thank you. Once I saw the indo screen on the display, I remembered that I had seen it before and had actually set the ISO range from 100 to 800 based on sample pictures I has seen.

My first field test-pictures of a green heron in poor light on an early overcast morning (early being 8AM) all came in at ISO 800. Most were OK two or three were pretty sharp right out of the camera. My next field test turned out to be another green heron in breeding colors (in September?). These pictures were also ISO 800 and all were way too noisy. The pictures were taken about an hour before sunset, sky was clear, bird was front lit.

I will try again on my bird shots.
I set the range from 100-3200. You don't say what lens you are using. Make sure that the top screen says auto beside the Iso number. If it doesn't, hit the Iso button on top, green button, then Iso button again.

Find the best fstop for your lens, closest to wide open. Adjust the shutter speed to get your Iso as low as you dare.

As you are finding out at the same Iso number the noise characteristics are different.

Good noise reduction software can give you another stop at least leeway with your Iso range. The K3 files clean up very nicely as long as you don't have to crop much.

Rules of thumb:

As close as possible to fill the frame.

As open as possible aperture.

As slow as possible shutter speed.

low as possible Iso.

Shooting at dusk or dawn for wildlife is treacherously difficult, and you soon find out why people spend unbelievable amounts of money for long lenses with big apertures that are very sharp wide open. My kingdom for a stop. Any way you can get one will make a big difference.
09-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bird lens

I use a Sigma 120-400mm. It was the best I could afford at the time I bought it.

I normally try F8 for birds. DoF is almost nil wide open.

I use Lightroom for processing. It does fairly well on noise reduction, but if there is a good add-on noise software for LR, I would appreciate a recommendation.

---------- Post added 09-14-2015 at 11:28 AM ----------

K3ii
Sigma 120-400mm @400mm
8:24 AM

ISO 800
f/9.0

LR settings
Clarity +48
Vibrance +42
Sharpening
Amount 86
Radius 2.1
Detail 67
Luminance 71

My best bird picture so far. Attachment failed I will try again

Last edited by Singinman; 09-14-2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: attachment failed
09-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
picture

Green Heron
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
09-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Green Heron
Very nice! Nothing wrong with that.

There is a 300+ lens club that is very active and quite inspiring.