Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

If you would of had some photography experience, I would have suggested the K-3. That has a ton of features, but they may be overwhelming for a novice. I'd suggest a K-50 to start off. They are dirt cheap & still have a ton of features that will take a while getting used to. The K-50 is practically a steal at this moment.

About a month ago, BuyDig on eBay was blowing out the K-50 in blue or olive with 2 lenses & a flash for a ridiculously low amount of $399 USA. That was probably the deal of the year for the K-50, but we may see some similar deals around "Black Friday" this year.

I have 2 K-50 cameras. They perform exceptionally well & the images that I pull out of them are pretty awesome. I have no complaints. I would like to add a K-5IIs or a K-3, but I'm waiting to see what happens on "Black Friday" later this year. I might get a K-3 then. This is only 'cause I like printing big pictures & I can easily get a 40"x60" print out of that camera.

09-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #17
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
and the K-30 have problems with the aperture control mechanism
Never heard of that problem for the K-30...
09-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by psyddharth Quote
I did not consider K-S1/2 earlier.

K-S1 also seems to have a good price.
Is it better than K-50?

Also,I wanted to know how good the weather resistance in the body and lens *actually* is from the users.
I have a K-30 and K-50 and a couple of WR lenses, I have used both in rain and snow. and they have performed well. Just take care not to change lenses or open ports, and I also don't usually point the lens up. The WR of the K-3 could even be better. Get whichever camera you can afford with at least one good WR lens.

I took this one a couple months ago when I was out in a very hard rain, I was completely soaked from head to shoes full of water but the K-30 and DA 18-135WR performed flawlessly.
09-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
I hate to say it, but I have and distinctly remember when the first reports hit this site in 2014. The typical owner's camera had just gone off warranty and was suddenly useless, even for units with low shutter counts. As the reports came in it was apparent that there was a common issue with the mirror and aperture controller components. The K-50 has the same weaknesses. I sent my friend's K-50 in for warranty service of the issue this last winter. This recent thread is a good example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/302511-k...ll-sudden.html

...and this one posted just a few days ago...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/303709-aperture-issue-k-30-a.html

Both the K-30 and K-50 are good cameras and with any luck current stock of new K-50s are not afflicted. Reports for the K-50 have tapered off some recently. For people concerned about the issue, the option two year warranty extension might be advisable.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-15-2015 at 03:46 PM.
09-15-2015, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To the OP, since you are already buying the 18-135, I suggest getting some use out of it rather than jumping right into one of the prime lenses. Not that they aren't good, but find out what focal length you are tending to shoot at and then invest in a prime lens near that. At that point, you might find that you can afford to get a limited prime or that you even need a different prime length (or even a different zoom).

As for the camera body. All I can suggest is that if you commit to make an effort to learn the camera, you won't be bad going to even a K-3. It can be a challenging camera to use, but if you haven't used a DSLR before, they'll all be a bit of a challenge. I personally found that I was going to a dSLR so I could avoid using scene modes. I didn't need them. The fact that the camera has a P-mode (essentially fully automatic or even the green mode) is enough to start you out and force you to learn the camera.

Investing in a tripod is also something I would actually discourage up front. Why? because I think most of us here would tell you that we started with cheap tripods and they really don't work well. You really have to be committed to spending a few hundred dollars to get a quality tripod for it to really pay off.

If you have the money, that's another reason to get the K3 with the 18-135 or perhaps use it to buy a good software for processing raw files or editing your photos. Photoshop elements, Lightroom, a Photoshop CC subscription, DxO, Capture One Pro, Paintshop Pro, etc. could all be a good investment to supplement your new camera.

Also, don't forget that with the Pentax camera you can get used stuff, especially lenses and flashes. Most items that have ever worked with Pentax will work with the new cameras too.

Have fun.
09-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #21
mee
Veteran Member

The K-3 is more in line with the D7k series
The K-30/K-50 is more in line with the D5k series

It really depends on what you want to do.. But if you're buying a camera body to keep it for many years, I'd buy the K-3 as it does more, is rated for more shutter actuations, supports a battery grip (if you buy the Pentax made one it is weather sealed too), and generally has really strong performance for an APS-C DSLR.

If you are looking to learn and are unsure if you'll keep on with DSLR Photography, I'd get the K-30/K-50 at a reduced cost.

The WR is just that.. weather resistance.. it isn't weather proof.. and one cannot submerge their camera in liquid. That said, the only time I've taken my Pentax K-5 II out in precipitation was last year in an ice storm with a 55-300 WR. The top of the camera and lens had a coating of ice on them yet it survived without issue.

I did immediately put the whole camera in a ziplock bag with a giant dessicant box and placed it in my refrigerator to gently bring the temperature back up and then kept the camera in bag at room temperature for several hours before retrieving. Wouldn't recommend simply setting the camera back into a warm room after being out in frigid climates as condensation can potentially occur in the lens.

Basically I'd like to remind that the WR does not mean one can stand under waterfalls or go underwater with the camera.. it will not survive any form of water pressure as it is not rated for pressure. It simply has rubber seals to keep non-pressurized water and dust out.

Last edited by mee; 09-15-2015 at 04:25 PM.
09-15-2015, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I have the k30, k5. K-S1, and most recently I bought a K3. I like the K30 because it is a nice shiny blue, the k5 because it is solid as a rock, and the K-S1 because it is so very light and with a DA21 it is a near-perfect street DSLR.

But the K3 at its current ridiculously low price rules them all. I have never owned such an enjoyable and capable camera, and I have been using SLRs since the 60s.

Don't worry about its suitability for beginners, as all modern SLRs can but setup as glorified point-and-shoots, but when you learn more, the K3 will be ready to help you do what you want to do.

09-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #23

Lots of K30/50 bashing. Their 16mp sensor still rivals all of Pentax's current lineup. This hearsay of problems can affect any model. Including the K3...
09-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote

I took this one a couple months ago when I was out in a very hard rain, I was completely soaked from head to shoes full of water but the K-30 and DA 18-135WR performed flawlessly.
Thats really cool...and a lovely shot!!!

---------- Post added 09-15-15 at 05:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote

As for the camera body. All I can suggest is that if you commit to make an effort to learn the camera, you won't be bad going to even a K-3. It can be a challenging camera to use, but if you haven't used a DSLR before, they'll all be a bit of a challenge. I personally found that I was going to a dSLR so I could avoid using scene modes. I didn't need them. The fact that the camera has a P-mode (essentially fully automatic or even the green mode) is enough to start you out and force you to learn the camera.

Investing in a tripod is also something I would actually discourage up front. Why? because I think most of us here would tell you that we started with cheap tripods and they really don't work well. You really have to be committed to spending a few hundred dollars to get a quality tripod for it to really pay off.

Thanks for the advice. After listening to more people in the forum...coupled with the fact I am willing to work hard in learning photography...
makes me want to follow my heart and go for K3.
09-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #25
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Originally posted by Imp Quote Never heard of that problem for the K-30... I hate to say it, but I have and distinctly remember when the first reports hit this site in 2014. The typical owner's camera had just gone off warranty and was suddenly useless, even for units with low shutter counts. As the reports came in it was apparent that there was a common issue with the mirror and aperture controller components. The K-50 has the same weaknesses. I sent my friend's K-50 in for warranty service of the issue this last winter. This recent thread is a good example:
Glad mine never had that problem! Although it does make an irritating noise in movie mode...

@OP: Congrats on your new potential hypothetical k-3!
09-15-2015, 05:18 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aperture control block, many threads about it on both k50 and k30, but it seems a not too common problem.
09-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had the same dilemma last year. Till then I was occasionally shooting with an old P30, then I got more into photography and bought the K-3 as my first DSLR.
It is true it has a lot of features you won't use at the beginning (I still don't need all of them, beside testing them once or twice), but the camera was nevertheless easy to figure out in a short time and I never regretted my decision to go for the K-3.
From the technical viewing point the K-50 and the K-S2 would provide all the features I need too, so they are both no bad choice either. For me the deciding factor was the handling of the K-3. I took it in my hand and the grip was simply perfect for me.
So if you have the chance try them out and take the camera that suits you best.

I also suggest you try shooting RAW rather sooner than later. The jpegs out of camera are not bad in my opinion but you dead certain get superior results with RAW and PP on the computer.

Regards Patrick
09-15-2015, 07:00 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KS1 does support all the same flash modes as the K50. Though it is not weather sealed the sensor is far superior to the K50. Not having an AA filter even allows more detailed images. The multi auto white balance helps reduce post production when shooting in doors. IMHO the KS1 and K50 being the same price point, the KS1 is far superior with the exception of the weather sealing
09-15-2015, 07:44 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by macman24054 Quote
KS1 does support all the same flash modes as the K50.

I'm not sure what you mean. The KS-1 and KS-2 lack the ability to control an AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ via P-TTL wireless. Please refer to page 93 of the K-S1 manual. Note the section on features available does not list Wireless flash. Now turn to the K-50 manual, page 245, you should see a chart and the last row should indicate that Wireless flash is supported by the K-50. Other people who bought the K-S1 and K-S2 have already verified that the camera cannot use the built in flash as either a wireless master or controller. Interestingly it also does not show on this page if it can do so using a pair of P-TTL external flashes.
09-15-2015, 08:09 PM   #30

Original Poster

@OP: Congrats on your new potential hypothetical k-3!

My only question is when to buy it...it seems prices are falling...should i wait till their FF camera is released...??
Or just jump in right now...??