Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. I'll try that card.

09-17-2015, 05:40 AM   #17
Pentaxian

The solution is to use continuous shooting mode. Single shot is single shot.
09-17-2015, 06:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The solution is to use continuous shooting mode. Single shot is single shot.
The real problem is a difference in behavior from K5 and earlier and the K3/K3ii.

A workaround is putting the camera in continuous mode... It helps alleviate some of the noticeable delay, but is not really a solution.
09-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello:
The real problem is a difference in behavior from K5 and earlier and the K3/K3ii.

A workaround is putting the camera in continuous mode... It helps alleviate some of the noticeable delay, but is not really a solution.
Exactly. I just miss that responsive feeling I got from my good old K-5.
While it may not be a deal breaker (to me it's not), it's one of those little quirks that mark the difference between very good and pretty much perfect.

My guess is that they indeed tried to improve SR in single shot mode. If you listen very carefully it really seems as if it was waiting for all the vibrations to dampen down.

I'm very confident though that I will grow to love the K-3 II just as much as I loved my old camera using a workaround.

Maybe (looking at Pentax tech staff here!) there will be a firmware update in the future adding an option to disable that "feature".

09-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by flonix Quote
Exactly. I just miss that responsive feeling I got from my good old K-5.
While it may not be a deal breaker (to me it's not), it's one of those little quirks that mark the difference between very good and pretty much perfect.

My guess is that they indeed tried to improve SR in single shot mode. If you listen very carefully it really seems as if it was waiting for all the vibrations to dampen down.

I'm very confident though that I will grow to love the K-3 II just as much as I loved my old camera using a workaround.

Maybe (looking at Pentax tech staff here!) there will be a firmware update in the future adding an option to disable that "feature".
You might be on about trying to improve SR in single shot mode. It makes sense that as camera sensors become more advanced, other things that didn't matter now have an impact on image quality. I would assume the engineers had a nice discussion about this and decided that single shot should be for single shot, and if you want quick shots in succession you would be better off using one of the continuous modes with camera functions optimized for speed. (I don't have an easy way to measure, but I wonder if the speed the mirror raises is different in single shot and continuous since that might have an effect on camera vibrations and IQ.)

For my purposes I usually leave the camera on continuous-medium if I need quick bursts and continuous-low for everything else. Continuous-high is too fast for most things and I just end up deleting more pictures later, but it's nice to have for once and a while when I need it.
09-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can reproduce. There's an "early shutter penalty" (as Imaging Resource calls it) with the K-3 II. This can be fixed in a firmware update, though.

—DragonLord
09-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
What would be be the best card to use?
Sandisk cards are great. Extreme Pro cards offer the best performance, i.e. those with a 90Mb/s write speed and 95 Mb/s read speed. Don't get anything faster (i.e. 200+Mb/s) as that would be a UHS-II card and it would not be fully supported.

There are also Extreme cards with 60Mb/s write speeds and 80Mb/s read. They come very close in performance and are cheaper.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sandisk cards are great. Extreme Pro cards offer the best performance, i.e. those with a 90Mb/s write speed and 95 Mb/s read speed. Don't get anything faster (i.e. 200+Mb/s) as that would be a UHS-II card and it would not be fully supported.

There are also Extreme cards with 60Mb/s write speeds and 80Mb/s read. They come very close in performance and are cheaper.
This.

I have SanDisk Extreme Pro cards in my K-3 II and the performance is excellent, though the camera still can't harness the full speed of these cards. Write speed in the camera hovers at about 40-50 MB/s, but I routinely get 80-90 MB/s when I put the card in my laptop.

—DragonLord

09-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Thanks Adam. I'll be buying them this weekend as I am expecting my K-3II next week from Japan. Can you believe that? I buy Pentax cameras outside my country where it's suppose to be manufactured.
09-17-2015, 10:38 PM   #25

Original Poster
Yup, Sandisk cards are great. I've used various models over the last 10 years, never failed on me.

Thanks guys for all the tips, ideas and interesting information about my issue