Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
K-3II No Flash Mounted Using External Flash

I know the K-3II did not come with the on board flash, and that most likely will not effect the use of external Pentax flashes. So, if I had my two Pentax AF360FGZ flashes on stands, and had a K3II, without a flash mounted, as the master and on the same channel, then when I press my shutter button both of the external flashes should fire. I am assuming this is correct.

Thank you.

09-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,294
What's going to trigger your external flash units unless you have a flash mounted on the camera?
09-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,182
Since the K-3 II doesn't support on-board wireless flash you'd either have to use a radio trigger or a cable (in which case functionality is identical to that of the K-3). If you do want to do things wirelessly you could get one of the 360's to act as the master.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
Original Poster
So, since the K-3II does not have an onboard flash, I would have to use one of the AF360FGZs on the K3II to activate the other AF360FGZ which would be on a stand (external). That would be an alternative to using cable or a radio trigger?

09-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
So, since the K-3II does not have an onboard flash, I would have to use one of the AF360FGZs on the K3II to activate the other AF360FGZ which would be on a stand (external). That would be an alternative to using cable or a radio trigger?
Correct.
09-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
Original Poster
Okay, one AF360FGZ mounted on the K3II. One AF360FGZ external on a stand.

AF360FGZ mounted on K3II designated master. AF360FGZ external on stand designated as slave on same channel as master.

The flash emission from the AF360FGZ mounted on the K3II activates the external AF360FGZ mounted on the stand.

I am assuming that is basically what I would do then. The K-5 series seemingly had an option where you would not have to use the pop up flash to activate the external off camera flashes. If so, I thought that the K-3II would have inherited that option through some sort of infrared capability, not having to have the on board flash.

Last edited by C_Jones; 09-17-2015 at 02:29 PM.
09-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,182
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I am assuming that is basically what I would do then. The K-5 series seemingly had an option where you would not have to use the pop up flash to activate the external off camera flashes. If so, I thought that the K-3II would have inherited that option through some sort of infrared capability, not having to have the on board flash.
The K-3 has that feature, since it has a flash. But without a flash there isn't much that can be done Perhaps you'd want to swap your K-3 II for a K-3?

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The flash emission from the AF360FGZ mounted on the K3II activates the external AF360FGZ mounted on the stand.
Exactly. I believe you can also set the on-camera flash to "controller" mode if you don't want it to illuminate the scene.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-3 has that feature, since it has a flash. But without a flash there isn't much that can be done Perhaps you'd want to swap your K-3 II for a K-3?



Exactly. I believe you can also set the on-camera flash to "controller" mode if you don't want it to illuminate the scene.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

09-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,024
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
. The K-5 series seemingly had an option where you would not have to use the pop up flash to activate the external off camera flashes.
Don't think so, CJ.

With a K-5 you'd have to use a hotshoe cable, external flash or third-party wireless remote, surely.
09-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
Here's an example of using the onboard flash as a wireless controller rather than a master.



The AF540FGZ flash was to the right of the frame on a table about level with the bed and lying flat on its back with the flash set at about a 45 degree bounce.
09-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,024
Nice pic, Brad. Some people fret about the controller flash contributing to the lighting but your example show it isn't enough for two catchlights in the eyes.
09-18-2015, 05:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,843
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Nice pic, Brad. Some people fret about the controller flash contributing to the lighting but your example show it isn't enough for two catchlights in the eyes.
I should dig up the one I did with the flash on master. It was pretty good but cast a shadow on the wall behind her. Also the light was too uniform and her pose didn't have as much interest. But it is useful to see that delta.

I have seen those complaints myself but so far I can't recreate s situation where the controller mode contributes enough light to cause any issues for me.
09-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,392
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Don't think so, CJ.

With a K-5 you'd have to use a hotshoe cable, external flash or third-party wireless remote, surely.
What I was referring to was the K-5 ability to have the built in flash discharge method used in an "Off" mode (set in Custom Setting 3).

---------- Post added 09-18-15 at 09:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Here's an example of using the onboard flash as a wireless controller rather than a master.



The AF540FGZ flash was to the right of the frame on a table about level with the bed and lying flat on its back with the flash set at about a 45 degree bounce.
Nice picture. The subject actually seems to be posing.
09-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,024
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
What I was referring to was the K-5 ability to have the built in flash discharge method used in an "Off" mode
Forgive me, because I don't have a K-5, but are you saying it does this without the popup flash? Please explain! :-)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, flash, flashes, k-3, k-3ii, k-3ii no flash, k-5, k3, pentax, pentax k-3
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still no external manual flash triggering with adapted lenses? Doundounba Pentax Q 19 07-29-2014 12:01 PM
K-r: built-in flash stopped working after using external flash wedge Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 01-12-2014 07:57 PM
Using Built in Flash in Wireless mode with External Flash i.e AF-360fgz disco_owner Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 7 05-16-2012 07:41 AM
Using pop-up flash + external pentanimals Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 03-03-2012 12:15 PM
using the external flash? strictlypentax Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 04-24-2010 01:30 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top